Search for content in message boards

EATON in Orange Co.,NY

EATON in Orange Co.,NY

leslie (View posts)
Posted: 1 Nov 2003 3:51AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: TERRY, VAN DUZER, GALLOW, GOLLOW, GERHARDT , BASTIAN
Looking for Eaton family in the OC.NY area like Newburgh and New Windsor. Looking for a EATON marrying possible a Gallow/Gollow. Could be wrong about the wife surname being Gallow/Gollow but, family told me this.

Re: EATON in Orange Co.,NY - Newburgn

Donna Eaton (View posts)
Posted: 15 May 2006 3:22AM GMT
Surnames: EATON
My husband and I are researching his Eaton ancestors which were located in the Newburgh New York area. The first Eaton came to the United States in 1848 from Ireland. What we are searching for is where in Ireland did the family come from? As my husband is undergoing cancer treatment, I am working quite diligently on this project as he would like to get this question answered. The following is the information that I have thus far:

William Eaton - b. about 1808 in Ireland. Died 6/13/1877 in Newburgh, NY and buried in Woodlawn Cemetery.
Rosanna Rea (wife of William) - b. about 1810 in Ireland. Died 7/10/188, buried in Woodlawn Cemetery.
Children include:
David Eaton - b. abt. 1836, Ireland, d. 7/11/1918 in Youngstown, Ohio.
William Eaton, Jr. b. 1/8/1838, Ireland. d.1/20/1912, Catskill, NY.
Margaret Eaton. b. 11/1839, d. 11/22/1916, Newburgh.
Martha Eaton - b. 2/17/1843, Ireland. d. 3/15/1917, Newburgh.
Roseann Eaton, b. abt. 1844, Ireland. d. before 1928.
James Eaton, b. Abt. 1848, NY. d. Aft. 1928. Lived in NYCity at time of death. (School teacher)
Moses Eaton, b. 3/29/1851, Newburgh, d. 3/14/1928. Newburgh
Jane Eaton, b. 2/1853, NY, d. 9/22/1913, Newburgh.

My husband's line is the Moses Eaton. I have many notes on the Eaton family, if anyone is interested, I would be happy to share.

If anyone has any information on this Eaton family, I would be grateful to receive it.

My email address is: eatonville@wheatstate.com.

Donna and George Eaton

Jacquie (View posts)
Posted: 10 Aug 2006 12:24AM GMT
I can't help you with where the Newburgh Eatons were from, but I do have information on David Eaton, if you're interested. He was married to Rosephine Watson, whose mother was Phoebe Ann Gollow Watson Terry. I am related to the Gollows, though not directly to Phoebe Ann. The 1900 census states David came from Ireland in 1855, but I don't know if the Eatons came over individually, or as a family.
II don't have much on him, but if I can help, just let me know.

Leslie (View posts)
Posted: 10 Aug 2006 3:33AM GMT
I would love to know what you know ...

Donna Eaton (View posts)
Posted: 10 Aug 2006 3:33PM GMT
Jacquie:

Thank you so much for the information. It is very much appreciated. It has given me a new direction to research.
I have been researching my husband's genealogy in hopes of finding the location in Ireland that the family originated. However, I had been stumped. We had hoped that once we found the Ireland location that we could go to Ireland to visit. However, on July 4th, 2006, my husband passed away from cancer. I will finish his genealogy and pass it on to his children.

Just some history of what I have discovered. David is the son of William and Rosanna Rea.

William came to the United States on the ship, Countess of Durham. He arrived on May 9, 1848. The Captain of the Ship was William Rowland. Route: Liverpool, Nationality: Ireland.
Source: NARA Series M237, Roll List - 72-351.

Rosanna and her children, David, age 12; William, Jr., age 10; Margaret, age 9; Martha, age 7 (also known as Matilda) and Roseanna, age 5, came to the United States on the ship, London. Point of embarkation was Liverpool. However, the majority of the Irish immigrants left Queensland, then the ship went to Liverpool. They arrived in New York on June 4, 1850. The Captain of the ship was Fredric H. Hebard. Route: Liverpool, Nationality: Ireland, Great Britain. Source: NARA Series:M237, Roll List 89-546.

William and Rosanna had 3 additional children that were born in the US. James, 1848, Moses, March 27, 1851, (my husband's great-grandfather) and Jane 1853.

I hope this information will help anyone who is researching this line. If anyone wants additional information, please email me and I would be more than happy to share what I have.

Again, thank you so much. You have made my day much brighter.

Donna Eaton

Donna Eaton (View posts)
Posted: 10 Aug 2006 3:42PM GMT
Jacquie:

I should have asked if you have the name of Rosephine's father? My husband's grandfather's middle name was Watson but never knew where it originated from. If you have any other info concerning Rosephine, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you so much.
Donna Eaton

Leslie (View posts)
Posted: 10 Aug 2006 8:44PM GMT
The Watson person that marriage Phebe Ann Gallow is Tom Watson and died int he Mexican War by 1849 because that is stated Phebe married David Terry and he was supposed to adopted the Watson girls..

Jacquie (View posts)
Posted: 10 Aug 2006 9:52PM GMT
Donna,
I'm so sorry to hear abut your husband. If I can help you complete his genealogy in any way, let me know. I try to get to Newburgh once or twice a year, and can look for information you may need.
Phoebe Ann Gollow Watson Terry was my great-great grandfather's sister. He was Francis B. Gollow. Most records only list her as Ann, so I will, too! Ann's first husband was Thomas Watson, they had two daughters, Rosaphine born around 1840 and Ann, born around 1833. Rosephine probably died before 1900, since David Eaton is listed as a widower in the 1900 census. They had six children that I know of, William, Rosephine, Agnes, Daisy, Thomas and Jennie. David was living with his son-in-law and daughter Rosephine when he died in Ohio.
Ann married David Terry after she was widowed. Their first child was born around 1849, so your Thomas Watson died between 1840 and 1849. I have also heard that he died in the Mexican War, as Leslie's posting states, but I haven't found anything to verify that.
I have lots of information about the Gollows, and your husband's children may be interested in the information going farther back. My great-great grandfather and his brother Charles (as well as David Terry) fought for the 124th Infantry in the Civil War (the Orange Blossoms!) and we have an ancestor in the Revolutionary War. Haven't been able to verify, but it would appear the family came from the Netherlands around 1760, first settled in NYC and moved to the New Windsor, Newburgh area around the time of the Revolutionary War. They were fur traders early on, then carpenters and painters starting around my Francis' era. They're a fascinating family, and I'd be happy to share what I have.

Donna Eaton (View posts)
Posted: 10 Aug 2006 10:39PM GMT
Jacquie:

Thank you so much for the information. I would like to learn about all branches so any information you would like to share, I would like to have.

It is interesting about the military background as my husband was a graduate of the Naval Academy (as well as his youngest son who is now a Lt. CDR in the Navy stationed at Norfolk.) and George retired as a Naval Commander. He then went to work for The Boeing Company and was a Program Manager for the A-6 Rewing Flight Test Program and then the E-6 TACAMO Program. I met George in 1989 when Boeing sent me to Maryland to support his program as his Human Resources Manger. We both had been divorced for 3 years and our boys were born in the same years. It was as if it was fate. He was a wonderful person and my best friend and I miss him so much.

Rosaphine was born in 1841 and died 27 Jul 1896 and she and David are buried at Woodlawn Cemetery in New Windsor, NY just outside of Newburgh. George and I visited Newburgh the first week of May 2006 and visited the cemetery. I took pictures of all of the family headstones and made notes. I am hoping as I get additional information I can make another trip to Newburgh in the future.

David Eaton was a carpenter and then later on, he became a Contractor. David's brother, Moses, married Elizabeth Smith Watson but think that Watson family came from Scotland.
Still working on that.

Anyway, I thank you for your information. I would love to know any and all information you would love to share and I will be happy to do the same.

Donna

Donna Eaton (View posts)
Posted: 10 Aug 2006 10:41PM GMT
Leslie:

Thank you for the information. I greatly appreciate it.
I had been stumped and this will give me another trail
to go down.

If you have additional information about this family, I would greatly appreciate it. I am trying to get as much information about as many branches of the "tree" as I can.

Again, thanks.

Donna Eaton
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions