Search for content in message boards

Looking for family - Kern, Summers/Sommers, Platzer

Looking for family - Kern, Summers/Sommers, Platzer

Posted: 27 Jun 2007 6:04PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Kern, Summers,Mautner,Knap, Werner, Platzer
Looking for family in Graz and Vienna by the name of Frank (Franz) & Anton Kern, Cecelia Summers (Sommers) or Platzer. These are my husband's family. Anton came to the USA in Aug of 1909 with his wife, Cecelia, and two sons; Eduand and Josef.

Also, my husband's mother's family by the name of Warner/Mautner/Knapp. Mother was Roas Werner, daughter of Mihaly Mautner and Agnes Werner.

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Looking for family

Posted: 2 Jul 2007 1:54PM GMT
Hello,

it would help if you could somehow split your query into different messages for different locations/towns. If that is possible at all.

This might help because several of your names are really common around here (Vienna, Austria) and difficult to trace, like Franz Kern - that's the name of my next door neighbour for instance ...

Summers is an Americanized version of Sommer (as to Sommers: that's pretty unusual, not sure whether you'll find anybody with this surname). Mautner can also come as Mauthner (you have listed this one as well), Knap as Knapp.

Mihaly btw is a very common Hungarian given name (Michael), the surname Mauther in turn is German(-Austrian). This would indicate origins in the old Austro-Hungarian monarchy of before 1918 - see this map if you haven't had one already http://www.geocities.com/historyofaustria/austriamaps1.html

Good luck
Tilman
Tilman

Posted: 2 Jul 2007 9:19PM GMT
The name is not Eduand it is Eduard

Also if you look at the manifest second page last column you will see they all had different birthplaces

In addition to the one suggestion already mentioned vague Subject lines will recieve less attention than Subject Lines which include surnames, which should be typed in all CAPS in order that they stand out from given names and other words..

Robert

Posted: 3 Jul 2007 12:22AM GMT
Thank you for the advice. That was kind of you to take the time to respond and give me some insight. As I am just starting out on this venture and any constructive advice is appreciated. Thank You again!

Posted: 27 Jan 2008 11:43PM GMT
Surnames: Kern, Sommers, Platzer, Sucher, Hollaman, Holliman, Fuchshofer,
More Information on: Anton Kern, B. 1868 in Heinedorf, Gratz, Austria, D. in Michigan, USA. Married Cecelia Sommers, B. May 16, 1873 in "Dorber" St. Martin, Hungary, D. 20 Sept. 1950, Michigan, USA
Two Sons: Edward F. Kern, B. 03, Oct, 1896 in Graz, Austria and Josef D. Kern, Bl 05 Jun 1898 in Gratz, Austria
Immigrated to USA in 1909.
Related to the following Surnames: Plazter, Sommers, Sucher, Hollamann or Holliman, Fuchshofer.

Posted: 15 Feb 2012 10:59PM GMT
Hello,
I am just researching my maternal family, the Suchers, and stumbled upon this message board and your message from four years ago! I don't know if you are still connected to this site so many years later but I will share with you what I know. My maternal great grandfather, Alois Sucher, married Johanna Sommer, maybe a relation to Cecelia. My mother now 93 yrs. old remembers visiting in Graz in 1928 and meeting an aunt Celie and uncle Tony. Could it be these two? Also, Alois Sucher had a daughter, Rosa, who married a George Hallemann. I think maybe this is the same family as yours.
I would love to hear from you.
Beverly Lanzafame St. Louis, Missouri USA

Re: Looking for family - Kern, Summers/Sommers, Platzer

Posted: 27 Apr 2013 3:44PM GMT
I don't know if you are still connected to Ancestry, but if you are I would love to hear from you. I am a member of the Sucher family, originally from Doiber, now in St. Louis, Missouri. I have information on Anton and Cecelia Kern and family and am trying to find how they are related to the Sucher family. I believe they are based on info my mother, 95 yrs. old, remembers.

Re: Looking for family - Kern, Summers/Sommers, Platzer

Posted: 12 May 2013 9:02PM GMT
Please contact me at dee33kern15@comcast.net I am very interested in your connection to the Kern family.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic