Search for content in message boards

Eckels-a sea captain - c.1880

Eckels-a sea captain - c.1880

Rose Ziesemer (View posts)
Posted: 15 Oct 2003 3:31AM GMT
Classification: Query
I really don't have much to go on, but any suggestions are truly welcome.

Goldie Edna Eckels or Echols was born c. 1890 and was raised in Baton Rouge. her brothers were Willie, Brooks, and Shepard. Her daddy, it is said, was an old sea captain and her mother was a full blood Indian whose father was a chief.

Tahnks for any help...Rose

Re: Eckels-a sea captain - c.1880

sandra pingel (View posts)
Posted: 24 Nov 2003 4:17AM GMT
Surnames: Eckels
Rose.
I have been looking for Goldie Eckels.Her brother Samuel Shepard Eckels is my grandfather born 15 march 1888 in east baton rouge Louisiana. Goldie Eckels father is William Harry Eckels born 13 August 1863 in Pennsylvania. William's father was Samuel Eckels born about 1830's in Pennsylvania.
I have not been able to find where the Eckels came from in Pennsylvania. I do have a lot more information on the Eckels if you need it. I also have a lot of information on Goldie's mother Callie Edna Latil. Goldie also had a brother William Harry born 13 March 1891 in East Baton Rouge Louisiana.
We need to keep in touch because we are related.
Please get back to me soon.( I do need some information on Goldie.)
Sandra (Eckels) Pingel

Posted: 24 Nov 2003 10:59PM GMT
HI...Thank you so much for your reply. Actually, Goldie Edna Echels is my husband's grandmother. She was first married to Ernest Francis Smith and I believe she had several children with him, and second she married Herman Ziesemer, Sr. late 1920's as their son Herman Jr. was born 1930. She went into labor and was walking to the hospital. As she was crossing the street to St. Mary's Infirmary, she had her baby right in the street, or so the story goes. He is still living and in Galveston TX. He will be delighted to find out this info. I would like any and all info you have. I will also gather up all the info I have for you. Herman remembers your grandfather, he called him Shep when we were talking the other night. There were several other brothers, Willie and Brooks. He has pictures of Goldie. She died in the 60's and is buried in Galveston. I am to make a trip there real soon and I will make some copies of all information he has and take a pic of gravesite.

My email is rose_joez@yahoo.com.

Rose (View posts)
Posted: 24 Nov 2003 11:07PM GMT
Herman told me he thought Goldie's mama was a full blood Indian and her father was a Chief. Any truth to this story?

STEVE LOCKE (View posts)
Posted: 3 Aug 2004 9:24PM GMT
I WAS WONDERING IF YOU HAD ANYTHING ON A CAROLYN " CALLIE " H. ECKLES BORN SOMEWHERE IN LA 9-29-1854. HER FATHER IS SUPPOSE TO BE WILLIAM R. ECKLES & MOTHER'S NAME WAS MARY. CALLIE MARRIED THOMAS J. LOCKE OF COLUMBUS, MS & DIED THERE 3-1-1919. SHE HAD A BROTHER NAMED WILLIAM BORN IN 1852 & A SISTER, VICTORIA J. ECLES BORN 10-8-1860 & DIED 11-23-1886 IN MS. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

Posted: 4 Aug 2004 4:29AM GMT
Wm. H. Eckels was a captain on the MS. River, whose mother was named Mary and father Samuel, and wife's name was Callie Latil. We have a lot of similar names but no exact match.

Posted: 14 Aug 2010 8:55AM GMT
Surnames: Eckels
Hello, I was so excited to see this post regarding Goldie Eckels and her father, William H Eckels, a pilot on a steamer. Her mother was Caldonia Edna (Callie) Latil I believe.
I have found some census with William and Callie and his children Shepard, Willie and Goldie Edna...she was 6.

Goldie was my grandmother ( my father is William Charles Smith)... I have some history on the smiths. Herman Ziesemer is my dad's 1/2 brother and my brothers and myself allway thought of him as no different because of different fathers.

I was so ignorant of ancestry for tooooo long. Now, I am so anxious to gather as much as possible. I have pictures too.

Please send me your phone or email...this is exciting to share and exchange data...Irin Smith

Posted: 14 Aug 2010 9:04AM GMT
A few things:
I believe Grandma Goldie's mother Callie (caldonia Latil) died when she was about 6ys. I remember her telling me she was raised somewhat in a convent or with nuns? Maybe because her father William Eckels was a steamboat pilot. (I saw his occupation in 1890 census)...
I heard the story of the Indian ancestry possibility but cannot find the connection. I believe Goldies grand parents were Latils on her mother's side.
Also, Callie remarried in 1904 to Henry Griggsly. She died a few months later...
Goldies death certificate listed "Sallie Latil" as her mother...and father as William Eckles, but there were many mistakes in spelling on forms. One record of a census spells it ECOLS, but same family...

Posted: 14 Aug 2010 9:05AM GMT
ooops...my phone is 602 870 7489 or irinsmith1@aol.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions