Search for content in message boards

STEINHILPER

STEINHILPER

Carol Courter Updegraff (View posts)
Posted: 30 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: STEINHILPER
Looking for information on Fannie or Fanny Steinhilper, may have been a seamstress in Williamsport, circa 1870-1890's. Unable to determine her origins. Married John Oliver Updegraff in Elmira NY in 1890's.

Steinhilper/Steinhelper

Posted: 21 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 1 Jul 2001 4:48PM GMT
Surnames: Steinhelper, Shuler, Woodley
My husband's greatgrandmother was Fannie Steinhelper, b. 7 May 1861 in Williamsport, Lycoming Co. She married Robert Shuler 13 Apr 1879 in Poweshiek Co. IA. He was the son of George Shuler and Sarah Woodley, who were also from Lycoming Co. We've been unable to discover much info on the Steinhelper line, other than Fannie's father was named Henry. Any ideas how your Fannie Steinhilper might be connect with ours??

steinhilper

Mike Steinhilper (View posts)
Posted: 20 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: steinhilper
My Great Grandfather's is Charles Steinhilper of Williamsport, Lycoming Co. Born around the same time as Fannie. Brother/Sister?

Steinhilper/Steinhelper/Steinhilber

Posted: 21 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 1 Jul 2001 4:48PM GMT
Surnames: Steinhilper, Steinhelper, Steinhilber
I'm afraid your Charles Steinhilper is as much of a mystery to me as our Fannie Steinhilper. A possible family is mentioned in the 1892 "History of Lycoming Co. PA", ed. John F. Meginness. It has a bio of John M. Steinhilper, b. July 1, 1823 in Germany, son of Ludwig & Fannie (Slay) Steinhilper, who came to Williamsport in 1847. Ludwig & Fannie had 7 children, 3 of whom were living in 1892 and resided in Williamsport--John M., Jacob, and Fannie (wife of Justus Dittmar). Now the trick will be figuring out how (or if) Charles and Fannie fit into this group. It seems likely, but I just haven't been able to make the connection--yet! Still working on it! Let me know if you find anything....

Charles Steinhelper

Posted: 2 Jun 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 29 Aug 2001 3:29AM GMT
Surnames: Steinhilper, Steinehilper, Steinhelper, Steinhelfer, Steinehelfer
The following notes all pertain to Lycoming County

Fannie Steinhilper
Revised 6/2/01, William E. Updegraff, Glennallen, AK

Fannie Steinhelper was born on January 7, 1872, the daughter of John and Elenora Steinhelper who lived at Proctor, PA. Proctor is located in Plunkets Creek Township in the Loyalsock Creek valley of Pennsylvania. Proctor is reached by taking route 87 north from Montoursville to Barbours and turning left.

Fannie Married John Oliver Updegraff in Elmira, NY, on ??, 1892. The marriage application indicates Fannie's parents were John Steinehilper and Ellen Hoppes. Fannie listed her birthplace as Proctorville, PA. Proctorville, PA, today is known as Proctor and is located in Plunkets Creek Township.

In the 1870 census, Ellennora Hoppes is listed as being 19 years old, the daughter of George and Netta Hoppes. The Hoppes lived at Barbours Mills, Plunkets Creek Township. In the 1880 census, Elnora Steinhelper is listed as the wife of John Steinhelper in Plunkets Creek Township. Her age is listed as 29, consistent with the age of Ellennora Hoppes. John's age is listed as 40 (but probably was 42). In the 1880 census, their children were listed as Fannie, 8, Charles, 5, Henry 3, and John, 1. By Fannie's age, she would have been born in 1872, confirming she is the Fannie who married John Oliver Updegraff. Fannie died in 1903 after bearing Clayton, Walter, and Golden. Fannie is buried at the Buchanan Baptist Church cemetery just north and west of Williamsport and was probably 31 at the time of her death. She may have died in conjunction with the birth of Golden.

Fannie's parents, Elenora and John Steinhelper, had six children. In addition to Fannie, Charles, Henry, and John mentioned above in the 1880 census, the 1900 census shows an entry for Elnora Steinhelper in Loyalsock Township with children Jessie, 14, and Etta, 15. John Steinhelper is not listed. It seems probable that John died sometime after Jessie was conceived. It seems likely that John died between 1896 and 1900. (It seems unlikely that John and Elnora would have been separated or divorced in that era.)

In the 1870 census for PA, it is indicated that both parents of John Steinhelper were born in Baden, Germany. These locations are critical for my next conclusions

In the 1860 census, the family of Charles and Elizabeth Stinehelfer are listed in Loyalsock Township, PA. The children were John, 22, Lewis, 15, Jacobina, 10 and Katy, 4. I believe John is the John who married Fannie because both parents are listed as being born in Baden. The Loyalsock Township location of Charles and Elizabeth is also strong indication that their John was the husband of Elenora. Furthermore, Elenora was living in Loyalsock Township with her youngest two children later in 1900.

Charles Steinhelfer may have been the son of Ludwig and Faronic? Steinhelfer who were listed in Williamsport in the 1860 census and were 73 and 72 respectively. However, it has not yet been shown that the couple had a son named Charles.

I will try to find church records from the defunct Proctor Methodist Church about the Hoppes and Steinhelper families but I am not very optimistic. It would be great if one of the other Steinhelper descendents had a family bible which we could locate.

The grave for Elenora Steinhelper is located in the Barbours, PA, Cemetery. She is listed as being born in 1850 and dying in 1936.

The name Steinhilper used by Fannie is most likely Steinhelfer although it might have been Steinhilper.

Re: Steinhilper/Steinhelper/Steinhilber

Mark Cresitello-Dittmar (View posts)
Posted: 5 Sep 2001 10:59PM GMT
Surnames: Steinhilper/Dittmar
I caught your posting because I'm researching the
Dittmar family in Williamsport, PA. There is a
clan of them there that I think are all related,
but I can't yet prove it.

Maybe this will be useful to you.

I saw in "History of Lycoming County" by Meginess
a bio for Justus Dittmar. It has for his wife
"He was married in 1851 to Miss Veronica Steinhilper,
and to this union has been born ten children:"

They are buried in the Washington St. Cemetery.
The stone has
Veronica: Sept. 7, 1826 - Mar. 4, 1894

I could use any information on the Dittmar
family in Williamsport ~1850 - 1900

Re: steinhilper

karen Talley (View posts)
Posted: 15 Oct 2002 6:55AM GMT
OOPS! It's me again. Turns out I found the file. Bill Updegraff sent it to me and I have it in a folder, so I can easily e-mail the Ludwig Steinhilper file to anyone interested. ktalleyho@yahoo.com

Re: steinhilper

Posted: 27 Nov 2002 3:24PM GMT
Surnames: Steinhilper
Karen, I am looking for a H.W. (Henry Waldron) Steinhilper age 70 b. PA and parents Germany; he was living with his son, H.A. Steinhilper age 37and wife Mollie age 37 in the 1910 Bibb Co. GA census; 2 sons, Henry age 11 and Jack age 4; Mollie is buried in Richland Parish LA beside her son, Henry Waldron b. 3 Oct. 1909 d. 23 Feb. 1968. Mollie has no birth date was was born in GA; she died 3 July 1933.

Any information on these Steinhilpers would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Charles Steinhelper

Posted: 7 Aug 2003 6:13AM GMT
Surnames: Steinhelper
I have an old court document that I would like to give to a Steinhelper family member who would be interested in it.

It is a court document regarding the possession of hogs in the city limits. The defendant is John Steinhelper vs. City of Williamsport. It was filed February 22, 1886. There is a handwritten document and is signed by John Steinhelper dated Dec. 12, 1885 attached to it.

Please contact me if interested.

Re: Charles Steinhelper

Posted: 30 Jul 2008 10:25PM GMT
You probably already found someone to take your article, but if not, I'd love it. I'm doing some genealogy research on my family. My grandmother was a Steihelper, her father came from Iowa and his father before that was from Pennsylvania. Please email me if you still have the article or any more information - rlb37@cornell.edu
per page

Find a board about a specific topic