Search for content in message boards

Cannady/Canaday--Emanuel, GA

Cannady/Canaday--Emanuel, GA

Posted: 28 Dec 2009 9:34PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cannady, Canaday,
I am researching a line from Montgomery, GA to Emanuel, GA and am stuck at SC. . My tentative tree (using census but no original materials) is
( James M. Cannady m. A. Dickey) , (William B. Cannady m. Mary Gooding), (Solomon Canady m. E. Edenfield) and possibly (John Canaday m. Sarah (?)).

Looking at John "Canaday", I have seen claims that he is from South Carolina (Barnwell) and that his wife is a "Sarah Witt" from either VA or NC. John is supposedly born in 1785, but his oldest child, William E. (if true) is born when John is 35. Does anyone know of previous marriages for this John of SC?

Have any other links been found for this branch of the family within South Carolina from earlier periods?

Re: Cannady/Canaday--Emanuel, GA

Posted: 24 Jan 2010 7:37PM GMT
I and several relatives have been researching this line of the Canadys/Cannadys from Montgomery/Emanuel County Ga. for several years and we cannot positively identify the parents of William E, James H. and Daniel B. Cannady (all believed to be brothers) in the Emanuel County. We have considerable documents on the marriages of each (to Durden sisters and daughters of Henry Durden), but unable to positively identify their parents. We believe it to be John Cannady and possibly married to a Sarah...but the data are inconclusive.

We welcome any information or further clues for research on this line of Canady/Cannady. I will exchange information of each of these three that I have.
Bob Canady

Posted: 5 Apr 2010 12:39AM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: Cannady, Canady, Cannaday, Kennedy, et al. Cowart, Durden, Lanier, Proctor, Olliff, Smith,
I believe that John had a previous marriage and had a son. In the 1820 census John has a wife, a 16-26 y/o male and a newborn. I believe Wm. E. is the newborn. As John and Sarah did not have a son named John, I believe the 16-26 y/o in the 1820 census is John Jr. By the 1830 census, John Jr (?) is gone however we have found a John Cannady that obtains land in the Cherokee Land Lottery as did a Caleb Kennedy. Caleb and Mary Polly Evans, his wife moved to now Tallapoosa County Alabama. Caleb died in Tall. Co. and Mary Polly died in Coosa Co. One of John Sr.'s other sons, my Daniel Berrian Cannady had a son named John Lewis Caleb Cannady. Passing down names were so important to the men (and women) of those days.

Posted: 22 Mar 2012 7:39AM GMT
Surnames: Cannady/Canady/Kennedy/Kenneday/Durden/Lanier/Proctor/Olliff/Edenfield/Hilliard/Jackson/Cobb
Hello, My name is Kim. I saw that you posted a Solomon that married an Elizabeth Edenfield. If I am not mistaken that is our Solomon P.W. Cannady that married Elizabeth. Do you know what year your Solomon was born? Also do you have any male descendants with the Cannady last name or descend from this Solomon? We have conducted some DNA tests on our 4 men who descended from John Cannady/Kennedy. We would love to share information if you are related. I will also share any info I might know from my research of other Kennedy/Cannadys. Thank you,
Kim
BTW: Sarah Witt was born @1720 and married a John Cannady, who was born around the same time. Sarah and John would have been about 100 years old when Solomons's eldest brother William E. was born. There is a John and Whitty Cannady of Barnwell SC, however that is Alva Whittaker Palmer a.k.a. Whitty. Please let me know if you need more help or have anything to share. Thank you.

Posted: 22 Mar 2012 12:28PM GMT
Surnames: Cannady
Most of my information earlier than 1900 has come from searching sites like Ancestry census and similar genealogy forums. I don't have anyone to query. THe line I'm following, I believe derives from William Berrian Cannady (1863-1920). I have him as a son of Solomon P.W. Cannady of Emanuel, GA. (1835-bef 1883). My son is a Cannady.

I'm not convinced from online data anyway, that the John who married Whitty is in the same direct line. I think there is a second John who is their son, who returned to SC.

Posted: 13 Jul 2012 7:57AM GMT
Surnames: Cannady/Cannaday/Canady/Kennaday/Kennedy/Cowart/Olliff/Lanier/Proctor/Durden...
We welcome any exchange of information of documented sources that anyone might have on the descendants of John and Sarah Cannady/Cannaday/Canady/Kennaday/Kennedy of Emanuel County, GA @ 1812 - 1875 and Colonial Georgia, SC, NC, VA, PN. Our research families are collecting photos and documentation pertaining to all surnames listed above as well as the following: Cowart, Olliff, Lanier, Proctor, Durden, Gray, Gay, Edenfield, Sullivan, Nasworthy, Barwick, Jackson, Lewis, Freeman, Smith, Stinson, Branan, Rogers, Lee, Johnson, Schremps/Schremffs, Turner, Jimmerson, Holland, and Hilliard. We are trying to make sure we have correct information to publish the Descendants of John and Sarah Cannady.

Posted: 13 Jul 2012 7:59AM GMT
Surnames: Cannady/Cannaday/Canady/
Rest In Peace Robert M. Canady. You were a wonderful man and a joy to share genealogy with. We all miss you.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions