Search for content in message boards

Coghlan Family

Posted: 27 Jan 2011 4:27PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Coghlan
My husband and i are tracing back our family trees and we have hit a wall on his. His last name is Coghlan and is part of a branch of that family that has been in Philadelphia since the late 1800's. We have gotten as far as tracing it to John Coghlan (Coughlan) born around 1850 in Ireland and married to Ann or Anna. They made there way to Liverpool, England by the 1870's and had at least 6 kids all born in Liverpool. Their kids are names Joseph, John, Dennis, Thomas, Mary, and Ann. The whole family was in Philadelphia by 1891. Joseph is my husband's GGgrandfater, Dennis was a catholic priest, and the 2 daughters never married. We know the names, birth years, and death years of all those named above accept when thomas died. These dates were confirmed by my husband by finding there grave at Holy Cross Cemetery in Yeadon, PA John, Anna, and allthe children but Thomas are burried together.

If anyone has any info connecting them to Coghlans further back or anything more about the descendants of the other brothers, we'd love to hear it.

-Christine and Joseph Coghlan

Re: Coghlan Family

Posted: 15 Jan 2012 10:02AM GMT
Hiya Christine and Joseph,
I read this post with interest, and beleive we may possibly be going down the same path. I am soon going to visit my uncle, who has already researched his family tree. He has already indicated to me that his gggrandfather was an o'Coghlan but dropped the O' and left Ireland in a hurry. He set up his family in the UK, but then left his family behind and set up a new family in Pennsylvania/Philadelphia area. How true this is, i'm unsure. But it could possibly be why I too am struggling to get beyond my 4th generation. I wish you luck in your search.

Andy Coghlan, Manchester UK.

Posted: 29 Jan 2012 6:31AM GMT
Hi Christine, I have a grandfather - Thomas Coghlan (dec) but I live in Australia. He was born to David Coghlan and Isabell Hogg. Don't know much else. Good Luck. Maria Harkins

Posted: 21 Apr 2012 4:25AM GMT
I don't suppose John was a carpenter that did work on Pullman cars?

My Great gradfather Maurice Coghlan settled in North Dakota had a brother John who visited him to help with a building project.

Maurice was born in Cohb, Cork in 1844. Please let me know if any of this rings a bell.

Thanks,
Christy

Posted: 9 Aug 2012 8:24PM GMT
My great-great grandfather was Isaac Watson Coghlan who was married 3 times. His first wife was Phebe Watkins(1811-1858)and they had 10 children: Emily Ann, Henry, Margaret, Phoebe Jane, James, Rebecca, John, Emeline, Isaac Watson (I'm assuming JR.), and Julia. His second wife was Mary Ford, they had no children. His third wife was Lydia Easton and they had 6 more children: Joseph, Charles, General McClellan (my great grandfather), Mary, Daniel and Gideon. Does any of this help? I have more info on G.M. Coghlan if you want it.

Posted: 9 Aug 2012 8:40PM GMT
Hi I would be interested on your info as GM Coghlan is my ggf as well. I believe you're my cousin Lana.
Hope to hear from you,
Tim Cornish

Posted: 13 Aug 2012 9:05PM GMT
Surnames: Coghlan, Watson
Yes, Tim, I am your cousin. You used to make tea for us when my family came to visit with you. You had to stand on a chair to reach the stove to make the tea! This had to have been close to 50 years ago. How is your family? I haven't seen or heard from Paul or Laura or your other sister (I forget her name--sorry!) since we visited you and your father years ago. Anyway the info I have on G.M. includes his 3 wives, 16 children and his father James and mother Peggy Watson. If you would like the details, let me know. I'll gather the information and send it off to you. I've even got some information on G. M.'s brother Daniel and sister Mary. I'll send that, too.

Lana

Posted: 20 Aug 2012 10:55PM GMT
Hi Lana,
Everyone is doing fine,Paul's out in California and Karen and Laura here in Iowa. I've been able to get some Coghlan info from cousin Doug but would welcome whatever you would care to share with me.Here' my email address tcornish@icwest.com
Thanks
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions