Search for content in message boards

Murphy/O'Hara Marriage

Murphy/O'Hara Marriage

Posted: 28 Jul 2006 10:04PM GMT
Classification: Marriage
Edited: 29 Jul 2006 8:56PM GMT
Surnames: Murphy / O'Hara
I know from my mother's Scottish birth certificate that my Irish grandparents (John Murphy & Margaret O'Hara) were married at Newtownbutler, Co Fermanagh. I would love to purchase their marriage certificate but it seems I need to know the full address and district where they were married. They were Catholics and I have researched a St.Mary's Catholic church in Newtownbutler. Can anyone tell me please if that would be the only Catholic church likely in 1900 and what is the district name? Fingers crossed. Jo

Re: Murphy/O'Hara Marriage

Eilís O'Hara (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jul 2006 8:03PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello Jo,

I understand you're referring to their civil marriage certificate?

I don't understand how you could have been told you need to know the district where they were married.

The General Register Office in Ireland had all the certs up to and incuding 1922 before Northern Ireland was established. The application for the marriage cert doesn't ask for that information. Go to the http://www.groireland.ie website and click on "apply for cert". Then click on Marriages, Certificate Application Form in English.

You should be able to order the cert with the information you already have.

Regards.
Eilís O'Hara

Posted: 29 Jul 2006 8:30PM GMT
Eilis,
Thanks for your reply. I downloaded the application form and it states quite clearly that "marriages before 1922 cannot be traced unless the CHURCH and DISTRICT are known" and elsewhere on the form it says "incomplete applications will be returned". If you're right then maybe I should just send the form off anyway and hope for the best.
Jo

Posted: 29 Jul 2006 8:51PM GMT
Hello again Eilis,
I've just realised that I used a different web site address and form - groni.gov.uk in Belfast. Having now looked at the one you suggested it is a lot simpler and, you're right, I do have enough info. I'll let you know if I get the certificate.
Jo

Murphy/O'Hara Marriage

Posted: 31 Jan 2013 7:25PM GMT
Surnames: Murphy/O'Hara
Hi Jo,

I'm not sure if you are still using this email address but i thought I would send you an email on the off chance.

I believe the Margaret O'Hara in your email is a sister of my great grandfather John O'Hara. Was your grandmother born 11.04.1878?

Kind regards,
Siobhan Kelleher (O'Hara)

Posted: 1 Feb 2013 9:20PM GMT
Surnames: Murphy
Hello Siobhan,
Thanks for contacting me. I've not looked at my trees for some time but yes, Maggie O'Hara is my grandmother and was born 11.04.1878. She married John Murphy 15.08.1900 at the church in Fermanagh and they very soon went off to live, and eventually die, in Lanarkshire, Scotland, where my mother Ann was born.
Maggie certainly had a brother John, born 06.05.1868. I also have recorded that he died 1953 and was buried at Aghadrumsee, Fermanagh, with wife, daughter and son.
I will open my tree to you and hope we can learn more together.
Jo

Posted: 5 Feb 2013 6:39PM GMT
Hi Jo,

That would be great, i have a few photos that may interest you.If you don't have then already.

If you email me at siobhan_kelleher1972@yahoo.co.uk I can then exchange information with you, rather them through the site. It would be great to try and fill in some of the gaps.

Kind regards,
Siobhán
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions