Search for content in message boards

Irish records

Irish records

Posted: 8 Sep 2007 12:10PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have discovered that my Great Great Grandparents Denis & Esther Weldon were both from Kildare. So far all my ancestors have been from the same area so this is the first time I've had to look elsewhere - could anyone please point me in the right direction to start looking up Irish records? They were born circa 1830 and by 1851 were in Manchester, where his occupation was listed as Staff Sargeant in the Militia. Thanks very much.

Re: Irish records

Posted: 31 May 2013 12:04AM GMT
Try Kilcock Parish & Town .

Posted: 17 Jun 2013 7:49PM GMT
Look at Griffiths Valuation. The library service for Co Kildare have a genealogical service in Newbridge. Www.kildare.ie

Posted: 18 Jun 2013 3:19AM GMT
My g.g. grandmother was born in 1828 in Kildare. She was Baptized in the Rathangan Kildare parish and we found the records on film at the LDS. That particular film had about 15 years of records on it. On the other side of the family we found Baptism records at the LDS on my Polish ancestors. They are a good source of information.

Posted: 15 Jul 2013 5:53PM GMT
Surnames: Weldon
Hi I have just read your message re:Weldon I am from Leixlip co Kildare and went to school inLucan and there was a Paddy Weldon living in Palmerstown Co. Dublin. Hope this will be helpful I guess he would be in the 68-70 yrs

Posted: 26 Jul 2014 7:59PM GMT
A long time later I'd like to thank everyone who answered my query for the help and apologise for the lateness in replying. I've been away from Ancestry for a good while but am now back on the trail and ready to trace the Irish side of my family. Thanks again for your helpful suggestions I will be following them all up.

Posted: 27 Jul 2014 11:53AM GMT
Hi - checked on IFHF (pay site) for the baptism of Denis Weldon in both Kildare and in all other Irish counties, but nothing there, although there are 6 WELDON baptisms in Kildare between the years 1823-1833. Couldn't find a marriage for Denis to Ester either - perhaps they married in Manchester? Seeing as Denis was in the Militia, they probably moved around.

Do you know what they called their first son/daughter? Very often, first son was called after the father's father, and first daughter after the mother's mother - might be a clue later on in your research.

These WELDON records might be of interest:

Ireland, Tithe Applotment Books, 1823-1837

Name: Calet Weldon
County: Kildare
Parish: Tankardstown
Townland: Cullenagh
Year: 1828

Ireland, Tithe Applotment Books, 1823-1837

Name: Colle Weldon
County: Kildare
Parish: Tankardstown
Townland: Grangemellon
Year: 1828

Lots of WELDON's here http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?a....

Happy hunting!

Posted: 27 Jul 2014 2:47PM GMT
Thank you so much dancer for all your time and trouble, that's really kind of you and gives me lots to work on!
I've just ordered Esthers' death certificate, she died aged 35 in 1864. The name is spelled whelden, there seem to be quite a few interpretations which doesn't help!
I've found a possible baptism for her (maiden name Murray) in Kildare 1829 but like you can't find either a baptism for Dennis or a marriage for them either in Ireland or England. I've thought as they were both from Kildare it was more likely they were married there before they came over but I don't know for sure.
Their daughter Mary was born in Manchester in 1853, my gr.gran Esther Ann in 1863. I haven't found any more children in between.
I have got just one Dennis weldon right sort of age born Ireland in Manchester on the 1851 census who's listed as married. Head of the house is mother Mary and her one year old grandson Thomas is also living there. No sign of Esther and I can't find her anywhere else at that time.
On the 1861 Dennis, Esther & Daughter Mary are together when his occupation is listed as staff sergeant. No Thomas and I can't find a death for him.
Dennis remarried in 1870 and in 1871 was with new wife Catherine, her 2 children & Esther Ann. They had four more children together.

I have a lot of work to do but it's Ireland I'm struggling with the most so thank you again for the links and your help, it's much appreciated.

Posted: 28 Jul 2014 11:33AM GMT
Worth checking for records in surrounding counties & Dublin. Two of my ancestors were born in Co Kildare (1901 Census) but they were actually born & married in Co Laois. I'm not sure if the borders changed or it was an error.

Watch out for name changes as well!

Good luck :)

Posted: 28 Jul 2014 3:39PM GMT
Thank you Ang, that's good advice. In Lancashire it's much easier as I know where the different areas are in relation to each other, I know very little about Ireland so I need to study some maps - or even better plan a trip! :))
per page

Find a board about a specific topic