Search for content in message boards

RAGAN, REAGAN

RAGAN, REAGAN

Posted: 5 Feb 2006 10:25PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 Aug 2006 5:24AM GMT
Surnames: RAGAN
I am researching a line that doesn't seem to have been traced before. If you have found any relationship between Charles (c.1824), Martitia (c.1825), Ruffin (c.1826), Mariah (c.1827), Martha (c.1830), Rebecca (c.1834), or James RAGAN (c.1836), I would be interested in hearing from you. Their mother was likely Amey RAGAN, and she was head-of-household in the 1840 census.

James Ragan was my 2x-grandfather, and it is possible that the others were his siblings or cousins. They were definitely kin. They all lived in Person Co., NC.

James RAGAN married Amey R. Eastwood (likely a cousin) in 1856. James is as far back as I've been able to go in this line but I strongly suspect that, if I can tie these above to him, I will be able to connect him to ancestors. For instance, Ruffin Ragan was the bondsman for his marriage. Ruffin was also the bondsman for the marriage of a sister of Amey Eastwood.

Many thanks in advance,
Anne Burton Washburn
Burton & allied families
http://wc.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=annebw&...

Re: RAGAN, REAGAN

Posted: 18 Feb 2006 6:09PM GMT
My research follows Nathan Ragan who lived in Person County, SC and migrated with wife Catherine Young to
Tenn and Miss. Would love to compare notes if interested.
Thanks,
Mike Ragan
Blowing Rock, NC

Posted: 8 Mar 2012 5:17PM GMT
Mike, I just came across your post from 2006 about Nathan Ragan. I have been working with a cousin here in Alabama on and off for about 5 years on our family tree. We have uncovered quite a bit of info on the family in Mississippi, primarily in the Counties of Panola, Tippah, Tate and Desoto. My paternal grandfather, Tommie Ragon (sic) was one of the children of a John and Ida Ragon, and there is some question as to who John's father was. Some places mention a Nathan Ragan as a possibility. The problem we have encountered, as I'm sure you have also, is the various spellings of the Ragon name. Due to the lack of most people in the South to either read or write well or at all, the spelling often was inadvertently changed on birth or detah certificates, bills of sale, etc. We also learned that several of John's brothers and a couple of his children left Mississippi and went to Texas. We also believe they "originally" came from the North Carolina area. I believe there are a number of Ragon/Ragan/Reagan family lines in the U.S. and some, but not all are interelated. There is even a Ragon, Tennessee, a Ragon Mountain in Arkansas. My great grandfather John, died sometime around 1907 or 1908 as best as we are able to determine, but we haven't found a grave or death certificate yet. His wife, Ida Knight Ragon then married a man named Arthur Hurt. Her daughter, Lena married a man named Peek.
I any of this sounds familar or might tie into your Nathan, please give me a holler, either by email (dlreagon@bellsouth.net) or dreagon@drash.com (work).

Posted: 28 Mar 2012 12:15AM GMT
Surnames: Ragan, Harris
I'm researching Ragans in Person Co., NC in connection to my research on the Harris line.
According to my research, Martha F. Ragan[1836-1908] & James Harris[1820-1858], were the parents of my great-grandfather, John Bunyan Harris[1856-1940]. Her father, Benjamin Ragan[1796-?], is shown living with her in later census records. Her brother, Benjamin R. Ragan[1835?-May 24, 1864] died in hospita, Richmond, VA from wounds, Civil War.
Other siblings were possibly [but note different spelling of last name]:
Leny Regan, 1826-
John Regan, 1828-
Goram Regan, 1834-1889
My Martha F, 1836-1908, is the closest possibility to your Martha[c1830]. I have found a reference to a Susan as her mother, no last name.
Does any of this sound remotely familiar? Do you see any possible connection?

Posted: 28 Mar 2012 1:10AM GMT
Hi, I wish it did sound familiar! I *do* suspect that all of the Person Co. Ragans were related but I have yet to learn how. I saw a marriage for Goram (m. Mary Jane Harris, 3 Jan 1856) and his name is fortunately unusual. What else do you know about James Harris?

Anne Burton Washburn
Burton & allied families
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=annebw

Posted: 14 Aug 2013 8:39PM GMT
I am Ruffin Ragan's 4x great granddaughter. I can not find anything about his parents. I have found that he died in Jan 13th 1962,
He was in the 24th regiment of the confederate army company H.

He married Sarah Gillis Ramsey (though I believe she went by a middle name of Catherine)

They had one son William T who married Sarah Caroline Ragan.

They shared the same last name but have not found them to be related.

Most of the Ragans starting with William T are buried at Maplewood cemetery in Durham NC but have no headstones.

Anyway Im new to the genealogy thing so not sure how to go about finding out Ruffins parents names. Have you found anything since you started this thread.

Thanks
Amy Ragan Meagher

Posted: 14 Aug 2013 9:03PM GMT
Hi, Amy, I am thrilled to learn that you descend from Ruffin. I have added a lot about Ruffin and other Person Co. Ragans to my database JUST THIS PAST WEEK. I think Sarah died and he remarried Catherine. Most of the Ragans were related, most often as first cousins both to other Ragans and to the families that intermarried with them. Makes research tricky. I have TENTATIVELY placed Ruffin as a brother of my ancestor James T. Ragan, both likely sons of Amey UNK and "Mr. Ragan." I have been working hard on this...no such thing as coincidence in genealogy! Please look at my database and feel free to communicate with me directly. My email address is at the header of my database. Here is Ruffin's page:

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&d...

I am looking forward to hearing from you! Anne
per page

Find a board about a specific topic