Search for content in message boards

what happened to the page-cary plantation?

what happened to the page-cary plantation?

Posted: 16 May 2007 9:26AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: page
i just found out that my gggggrandfather edwatd page sr.was the over-seer for the plantation.o would like to have photographs of it.the [plantation was in dillwyn,virginia.
edward page died 20/march/1854 albemarle county,virginia.any help appreciated.thankyou very much.

Re: what happened to the page-cary plantation?

Posted: 12 Aug 2007 10:35PM GMT
Surnames: Page, Cary
The farm's name is "Caryswood". It is still in tact. There is a book about it from the post Civil War perspective.

Posted: 14 Aug 2007 8:55PM GMT
Surnames: Page, Cary, Trent
Whenever you speak about the Cary or Page family and their plantations it can be confusing. They didn't just live on one place, so let me give you this brief writeup I did about Caryswood and you can decide if it applies to you. Also I'll attach a 1991 picture of this old plantation home.
Caryswood Plantation by Don Trent

The main house at Caryswood was built in 1855 by Edward Trent Page on several hundred acres near the present city of Dillwyn, Buckingham Co., VA. It includes a collection of four slave buildings, icehouse, barns, henhouse, corn silo, and the Trent and Page family cemetery.

The land that Caryswood stands on has been in the hands of the Cary and Page families of Virginia for over three hundred years and as late as 1991 was still owned by one of their direct descendants. The first member of the Cary family in Virginia was Miles Cary, who had his Buckingham County patent surveyed in 1671. One of the original survey stones bearing the date 1671 and the initials M.C. is still kept at Caryswood. The farm was later owned by his grandson Archibald Cary (1721-1787) a member of the Virginia colonial government. His 1787 will left 2,700 acres and his "Halfway Branch" plantation home, to his son-in-law Carter Page and his wife Mary. At his death in 1825, Major Carter Page's Halfway Branch plantation was willed to his son John Carter Page (1784-1853) and his wife Mary Anna Trent (1790).

In 1853 their son Edward Trent Page inherited 836 acres including the plantation house, and renamed it Caryswood. He married Elizabeth Coupland Nicholas (1834-1897) of Seven Islands plantation. In 1904 Caryswood was divided among four children: Edward Trent Page, Jr., Mary Haynes, John Page, and Bessie Trent. The house and surrounding 168 acres going to Bessie and her husband John Gannaway Trent (1868-1934). In 1934 the farm was inherited by their daughters: Kate Gannaway Trent, and Elizabeth Coupland Page Trent who married Branch Bird of Idaho. By 1991 the acreage was mostly restored and stood at more than 700 acres. The owner at that time was Mrs. Branch Bird, Elizabeth Coupland Page Trent, a descendant of the original Cary family. Many of the furnishings at Caryswood are from homes with Page or Cary associations such as: Rosewell, Berkeley, Seven Islands, and Union Hill.

Source: Virginia Department of Historic Resources, 2801 Kensington Avenue
Richmond, VA 23221. Caryswood, File #014-0018; 11 Dec 1991. This property is listed in the Virginia Landmarks Register, but has not been placed on the National Register of Historic Places as of 06 Jun 2007. [12 Jul 2007 DLT]

Attachments:

Posted: 9 Sep 2007 3:11PM GMT
See the book "A Way out of No Way" by Dianne Swann-Wright, 2002 for another perspective on the New South, Buckingham County and Caryswood after the war to the 20th Century.

Posted: 3 Jan 2008 8:37AM GMT
ll i know is i have an EDWARD PAGE born 1776,THE 1850 CENSUS FOR ALBEMARLE COUNTY,VIRGINIA STAES THIS,AND IT SHOWS HE WAS 74 AT THE CENSUS.IF YOU WILL CHECK THE 1810 CENSUS MY EDWARD PAGE WAS TAXED IN ATLEAST FOUR COUNTIES,WHICH BEING ALBEMARLE,NELSON,AMHERST,BUCKINGHAM
I WENT TO VIRGINIA BACK IN SEPTEMBER AND COULD NOT FIND ANY MARRIAGE FOR EDWARD PAGE TO A ELIZABETH NICHOLS.THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO RECORD FOR THEIR MARRIAGE.THE ONLY MARRIAGE THAT SHOWS UP IS FOR EDWARD PAGE TO BETSY WOOD IN 18/MARCH/1805 IN AMHERST,VIRGINIA BY REV.JOSEPH SHELTON.
I HAVE LAND DEEDS,I HAVE EDWARD PAGE,S WILL,I HAVE HIS ESTATE INVENTORY,I HAVE COPIES OF CENSUS FOR 1810,1820,1830,1840,1850,

DEED-RECORDED-03/30/1837 EDWARD PAGE BOUGHT 400 ACRES FROM RICHARDSON
DEED-RECORDED-05/27/1839-EDWARD PAGE BOUGHT 267 ACRES FROM JOHN SNELL ESTATE
DEED-RECORDED-EDWARD PAGE SWAPPED LAND FOR 10 ACRES FROM JOHN&SALLY PERRY&HEIRS IN 03/18/1854

ALSO REFER TO ADMISTRATORS BOND FOR SAMUEL BRIDGWATER FOR JULY,23,1810 FROM LYNCHBURG,VIRGINIA AND NELSON COUNTY,VIRGINIA WILLS,DEEDS,AND MARRIAGES 1807-1831 BY REV.BAILEY FULTON DAVIS

SON OF EDWARD PAGE-EDMUND D.PAGE AND HIS WIFE MILDRED HAYES CAN BE FOUND IN THE 1860 CENSUS FOR VARIETY MILLS-POSTOFFICE-ARRINGTON WHICH BORDERED ON AMHERST COUNTY AND BUCKINGHAM COUNTY.IF YOU WILL DO YOUR RESEARCH YOU WILL FIND A LAND DEED FOR EDMUND D.PAGE FOR BUCKINGHAM COUNTY DURING THOSE YEARS THE NOW NELON COUNTY WAS ACTUALLY IN BUCKINGHAM COUNTY.JUST FOOD FOR THOUGHT.

DEED-RECORDED-08/25/1843-MY GGGGRANDFATHER WILLIAM EDMOND PAGE- BOUGHT 319 PLUS ACRES FROM RICHARD PLEASANTS SUDDARTH FOR $2,250.00 THE PROPERTY WAS NAMED "CHURCHHILL"WHICH SITS JUST OFF OF HIGHWAY 29 ON RABBIT VALLEY ROAD.

ALSO I REFER TO GUNSTON HALL-MY PAGE FAMILY IS WELL DOCUMENTED THERE AS BEING IN ALBEMARLE,NELSON,AMHERST,VIRGINIA AND FAMILY TREE,S ARE THERE AS WELL.I AM RELATED TO GEORGE MASON BY MARRIAGE.OUR PAGE FAMILY IS VERY CLOSELY ALLIED TO THE MASON FAMILY.

Posted: 4 Jan 2008 9:51PM GMT
I have already responded to Carla by Email, but for the record I need to post a reply here. Often we find more than one person with the same name living in the same area and time frame. What we have here, is two different people with the same name. The person I referred to is very well documented as well as his Caryswood Plantation. That doesn’t mean that there was not another home of the same name elsewhere. As far as the marriage goes, one cannot always find records, but I have transcribed the Page Family bible and that extraction is provided in the last paragraph, but first a little bit of information on this couple and their life.

Elizabeth Coupland Nicholas was born in 1834 at Auburn Plantation, Cumberland County, Virginia. She was the daughter of John Scott Nicholas of Seven Islands Plantation & Ann Harrison Trent of Auburn Plantation. Elizabeth married Edward Trent Page in 1854 at her father’s home at Seven Island s. Edward was the son of John Cary Page & Mary Anna Trent of Union Hill Plantation. Edward was given land and money by his father to build a brand new home for his bride. When it was completed he went to Seven Islands to marry her and bring her back to their new home, which he named Half-Way Branch. Later he renamed it Caryswood Plantation.

From the Library of Virginia:
URL http://lvaimage.lib.va.us/cgi-bin/GetBF.pl?dir=0067/P0118&am...
Title Page, Edward Trent.
Gen. note Born: May 20, 1833, "Locust Grove", Cumberland County.
Note Farmer.
Note Sheet: 51.
Note No. of lines: 6.
Other Format: Also available on microfilm. S. Bassett French Biographical Sketches. 4 reels.
Biog./Hist. Note Samuel Bassett French (1820-1898), attorney, judge, Confederate officer, editor, and public servant, was a Norfolk native who resided in Richmond and Chesterfield County. Between 1890 and 1897, in preparation for a planned biographical dictionary to be called Annals of Prominent Virginians of the XIX Century, French compiled biographical information on over 14,000 men, often obtaining information from the subject himself or his immediate family. This collection consists of French’s handwritten notes.
Related Work Part of the index to the handwritten biographical sketches compiled by S. Bassett French between 1890 and 1897. This collection is housed in the Archives of the Library of Virginia.
Subject - Personal Page, Edward Trent.
Added Entry French, Samuel Bassett, 1820-1898. Samuel Bassett French collection.
Added Entry Library of Virginia. Archives.
Added Title: S. Bassett French biographical sketches.
System Number 001283601
Following is my transcription from the handwritten record, DLT 04 Jan 2008. [Start of Document] Page, Edward Trent born 5th son and youngest child of John C. [Page] of Union Hill, at Locust Grove" Cumberland Co. May 20, 1833, ed. u. of Va 1851-52, named his estate "Halfway Branch" Cumberland Co. [End of Document]

My transcription of the Page Family Bible Record, 1854-1968, from the digital image located at the Library of Virginia, System Number 000487602, Call Number 27039, bible printed in 1869. This information relates to the Page Family of Buckingham County, Virginia and their connection to the Trent family. Transcribed by Don Trent on February 1, 2006. Edward T. [Trent] Page & Bettie C. Nicholas were married at the Seven Islands, Buckingham Co. Va, on the 28th of Febry 1854

Posted: 5 Jan 2008 12:06AM GMT
Surnames: page/balsley/bridgewater/ware/wood/jopling/snell/oliver/suddarth/sumpter/sumter/littleford/porterfield/
i just mailed a money order to the virginia department of health for my edward page death certificate and his marriage certificate,edward page married elizabeth "betsy"ware wood 18/march/1805 amherst,virginia,he died-20/march/1854
i,m hoping the death certificate will tell us who edward,s parents were and where my page family buried him,if they even buried him at all,there was a terrible fued that started after my gggggrandfather died,the kids tried to have the will overturned,edward,s son george w.page aka g.w.
swindled his sister out of the part of land that was supposed to be loaned to her that was in the will.from what i,ve heard ole george,s wife took and left him and came back to virginia.some of edward,s children went to missouri about 1840 or so,a couple of them got wise and left missouri and came back to virginia.i,ve heard rumors about some of my "PAGE MEN"ALL I WILL SAY IS SAMUEL,S daughter got took away from him and the same with edmund d.page,s daughter.george,s wife brought their daughter with her when she came back to virginia.some of the page family will not even talk to me,the fued is still going on to present day.i went to batesville back in september charlie wouldn,t come to the door,i tried talking to his mother and she clammed up as if she didn,t know anything.so in order to find out anything i,m having to send for documents.i kind of think john page&jane byrd might be edward,s parents.edward,s first mae we think is "THOMAS EDWARD OR EDMUND PAGE"on the will he signed his name "EDWARD PAGE" but there is some oral and written history that says he used both names.my cousin rex page just sent in his dna kit to the "PAGE-Y-DNA"
we should know soon,who our ancestor was.i am a female so cannot do the dna.will let you all know what we find out.

Posted: 12 Jan 2008 3:48AM GMT
CHECK THE 1820 CEUS FOR BUCKINGHAM COUNTY,VIRGINIA,MY EDWARD PAGE WAS LIVING IN BUCKINGHAM COUNTY HE WAS 44 YEARS OLD.I REST MY CASE! CJ

Posted: 12 Oct 2009 6:20PM GMT
Edited: 13 Oct 2009 12:58PM GMT
Surnames: page, nichols
i went to the virginia state library and archives and searched the marriage registers,there was absolutely no marriage registed for an edward page to elizabeth nichols,i went all the way back to 1790 and did not find a marriage for edward page to elizabeth nichols.i did find marriages for my edward d.page,if you will see my page family tree on here on ancestry.com and go to my media gallery i have all of my documentation on there.there are marriages,deeds,death certificates,

http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/11399821/family/pedigree?fpid...

http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/11399821/gallery

Posted: 13 Oct 2009 11:14AM GMT
This book is wonderful. A true perspective of what life was like!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions