Search for content in message boards

Willis family

Willis family

Posted: 24 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 Nov 2001 2:44AM GMT
Surnames: Wyllys, Willis, Willes, Wyllis, Welles
I am looking for any information on the Willis Family. I have started this tree in Fenny Compton, Warwickshire, England, with Richard Willis 1487. They imigrated to Tolland/Hartford Connecticut. Some went to Delaware County and settled in Masonville, NY. Some went to Franklin, NY and then on to Lehi/Salt Lake City, Utah. I know there are several more families that were in Massachusetts and I would like to see if there was any connection. The name has had several spelling over the years. Some being: Willis, Wyllys, Wyllis, Welles. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
Rose

WILLIS FAMILY

john willis (View posts)
Posted: 12 Mar 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: WILLIS

I BELIEVE THAT I AM A DESCENDANT OF RICHARD WILLIS BORN ABT 1600 OF CAMBRIDGESHIRE OR WARWICKSHIRE. HIS WIFE WAS JANE HENNMARSH OFKENT. ONE OF THEIR SONS THOMAS AND PROBABLY HIS BROTHER RICHARD MIGRATED TO MIDDLESEX COUNTY VIRGINIA AROUND 1650. MY BRANCH OF THE FAMILY MOVED TO NORTH CAROLINA, THEN TENNESSSEE AND THEN TO SOUTHERN ILLINOIS WHERE SOME JOINED THE LATTER-DAY SAINT CHURCH AND CAME TO UTAH AND ARIZONA. IS THERE A CONNECTION BETWEEN THESE TWO LINES? my e-mail is unreliable so contact me at 3816 S. Neitz Drive Norton, Ohio 44203.

Richard Willis / Jane Henmarsh

Taun Willis (View posts)
Posted: 23 Aug 1999 12:00PM GMT
From a book on the Willis Family I am preparing for publication:

Rychard Wyllys b. before 1599 (abt. 1602) Cambridge (Cambridgeshire), England Wife: Jane Henmarsh b. England (Daughter of William Henmarsh and Katherine (Honeywood) Fleete)
Children:
Richard b. abt. 1627?
Elizabeth c. abt. 1631?
William b. abt. 1629?
Thomas b. ? d. between Oct. 1, 1667 - Feb. 6, 1670 (married Mary - See Below) Working on the birth date and other information...
John b. Before 1636?

Next Generation (Richard's son):
Thomas / Mary Willis
Thomas was a “sidesman” of Lancaster Parish in 1657. There is also a deed dated October 1, 1667, from “Thomas Wyllys of Lancaster and Mary, his ‘now wife’” to Abraham Weekes.
A marriage contract can be found dated February 6, 1670, between Mary, described now as the relict, or widow, of Thomas Wyllys, and Matthew Bentley, shoemaker, making provision in favor of her children, Richard, John, and Eleanor Willis. Mary's second husband, Mathew Bentley, was one of the leaders of the adherants of Nathaniel Bacon in Middlesex and vicinity. At Middlesex Court February 1677, Matthew Bentley was summoned to answer the charge that during the late rebellion, when in command of forty or fifty men-in-arms at Major Lewis’ plantation, in New Kent county, he killed three hogs and four sheep, used a great deal of corn, and took meal for the whole rebel army at Major Pate’s. In this case, Bentley took an appeal to the General Court. On July 23d, Colonel Christopher Wormeley, of Middlesex, sued Matthew Bentley and others for trespass and for taking from him in October 1676, twelve beeves, forty sheep, twelve bushels of salt, &c., &c. He obtained a judgement for £435. Matthew Bentley died January 8, 1685. In his will dated January 1685-6, proved Middlesex County, February 1685-6, he left Mary Allden, (Thomas Willis and Mary's daughter), a young mare, Robert Allden (Thomas Willis and Mary's daughter, Eleanor's husband) a “cloth serge suit I now have and my great cloth coat;”, John Willis (Thomas Willis and Mary’s son) his "broadcloth suit with gold buttons on it", and Richard Willis (Thomas Willis and Mary’s son), executor, and to have the remainder of his estate.

Family of Thomas Willis and Mary (later Mary Bentley):
Thomas Willis b.? England d.?
Wife: Mary b.? England d. Sept. 27, 1684
Mary married (2) February 6, 1670, to Matthew Bentley, Shoemaker, in Lancaster County.

Children:
Eleanor
Born: April 18, 1655
Married: (1) Robert Allden
Children: Robert Alden, b. 1683, and Eleanor Alden, b. 1685.
Married (2) ? Kemp.
There is in Middlesex a deed dated October 5, 1717, from Eleanor Kemp, of Essex, widow, to her daughters, Mary Nalle and Catherine Terbetts, and to a person named Allden. She speaks of the land where her brother Richard Willis, lived and died, and conveys a considerable amount of land in Essex and Middlesex.

Richard
Born: August 29, 1656
Married (1) Dorothy Gibson, (2) Ann, widow of Michael Griggs, of Lancaster, (3) Betty Landon, daughter of Thomas Landon of Middlesex.
Died: 1700, estate inventoried dated February 4, 1700.
Richard was appointed a justice of Middlesex, April, 1698. There is in Lancaster a deed dated April, 1683, from Richard Willis, of Middlesex, with consent of his wife, “Dorothy”. In it he mentions his “father-in-law”, John Gibson. Later a deed from Richard Willis and “Ann, his wife”, reciting that the said Willis, “now of Lancaster”, married Ann, widow of Michael Griggs, of Lancaster. Also there is a deed in Lancaster, July 1691, from Richard Willis, gent., of Lancaster, and his wife, Ann, late widow of Michael Griggs, gent. Thomas Landon, in his will dated November 9, 1700, names his son-in-law, Captain Richard Willis, and his wife, Betty. Richard died leaving a large estate. The inventory, “Inventory of Richard Willis, gent., deceased”, included goods at the store valued at £1,475.6, a well-furnished dwelling, and at the quarter 84 head of cattle, 6 horses, &c., amounting in all, total value of personal estate, £1,778.14.11. In addition, there were debts due the estate from persons in Virginia, New England, Dublin, Whitehaven, &c., &c., to the amount of 38,983 pounds tobacco, or £2,930.14. On February 3, 1700, Betty gave bond in the amount of £20,000.00 [?] sterling as executrix of her deceased husband, Richard Willis, with Sir William Skipwith and Gawin Corbin as securities. There is recorded in Lancaster a deed dated April 9, 1701, between Robert Carter, of Lancaster, &c., and Betty, widow of Richard Willis, in view of a marriage about to take place between them. On January 30, 1701-2, there is an entry which states that Robert Carter had married the widow and executrix of Richard Willis.

John
Born: November 24, 1658
Died: May 4, 1688
Qualified as executor of Anthony Barlow, June, 1685. John is listed on the Military Census of Middlesex County among those persons with “Sufficient abilitie to find a man, horse, & armer.” John’s will, dated April, 1688, proved in Middlesex in July, 1688, included bequests to Elinor (his sister), John and Mary Allden (his sister and her husband), John Barlow, and brother Richard Willis.

Mary
Christened: February 23, 1660
Married: John Allden (deduced from the wills of her brother, John Willis, and her father-in-law, Matthew Bentley - see above references).

Thomas
Born: September 8, 1660
Married twice, one wife named Susanna, had issue from both wives.

OOOPS! Wrong info on Richard Willis and Jane Henmarsh

Taun Willis (View posts)
Posted: 23 Nov 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Willis, Henmarsh
I have since discovered that Richard Willis/Jane Henmarsh have NO Willis descendants living today. See my entry under the 'MISC' section of this web site, or email me for information at taunwillis@hotmail.com

Re: WILLIS FAMILY

Leslie Miles (View posts)
Posted: 19 Aug 2001 4:31PM GMT
Classification: Bible
Hello,
My name is Leslie Miles, I live in Lafayette, Louisiana. My mother's madien name is Willis. I have been researching the Willis family and I believe that we are descendent from your family.

I have traced our branch of the family to Middlesex VA. The fartherest I have been able to go back is 1632, to a Richard Willis (Wyllys) who was married to Jane Newmarsh. I then started to search English records and found a Richard Willis married to a Jane Henmarsh. I believe these two women are one in the same.

Please contact me. Thank you.

Leslie A. Miles
Lafayette, Louisiana

Re: Willis family

Linda (View posts)
Posted: 12 Dec 2001 4:59AM GMT
Surnames: Willis/Willes, Knapp
Hezekiah Willis (Willes) b. 1764 in Tolland, CT m. Elizabeth Knapp of Spencertown, Columbia Co, NY. They are buried in Frenchville Cemetery in Western, Oneida Co, NY. I have been looking for Hezekiah's parents. Believe Hezekiah had a brother Josiah Willis (Willes). Do these names sound familiar?

Posted: 16 Mar 2004 11:35PM GMT
Surnames: Willis / Wyllys / Wylles
In Heritage Quest I saw Hezekiah under the 1800 and 1810 census in CT. If you don't have the info and need it, please let me know.
Sally

sally@percey.com

Posted: 1 Apr 2011 2:58PM GMT
Surnames: Willis, Wells, Knapp, Briggs, Ward, Bradley, Pike, Bush, Elliot, Elliott, Chapin, Filkins
While it does not mention parents, there is a 1967-8 query (#G-39) published by the Detroit Society for Genealogical Research, Vols, 31-32, page 87, wherein the writer was seeking decendants of a "Hezekiah Wells" who died at Western, Oneida, NY in 1842. The writer listed Hezekiah's children as James P., Hezekiah Jr., Sally Briggs, Abigail Ward, Leviah Bradley, Electa Pike, Amy P. Bush, Mary Elliot and Cornelia P.

My own research suggests Electa Wells or Willis married a Mr. Pike whose first name may have been Orson or Orrison. Their only child was John Bradley Pike who married Sarah Lorraine Chapin, a distant cousin of mine. This couple gave the name "Willis" as a middle name to one of their sons.

Mary Wells or Willis was listed as Mary C., the seventh daughter of Hezekiah Willis in a Genesee County NY Gazetteer. She married the Rev. Jesse Elliott and had a son (S. Willis Elliott) and a daughter Mary E. Filkins and resided in Bethany, Genesee, NY.

There is such scant information on this family that I am posting it if it is of any use to someone. Here is the link for the genealogical entry noted above:

http://books.google.com/books?id=1xMUAAAAYAAJ&q=%22elect...

Re: WILLIS FAMILY

Posted: 23 Apr 2011 5:27PM GMT
I'm looking for information on Richard Willis, who was listed as Captain Richard Willis in 1699 when he signed documentation of importation of several people into VA. I believe the ship was the Thorogood.

I appreciate any help.

Ann

Posted: 23 Jan 2013 6:31AM GMT
im Stanley willis grand daughter trying to find relatives. My fathers name was Paul D Willis.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic