Search for content in message boards

Samuel Wise

Posted: 13 May 2005 2:48AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 Feb 2006 2:16AM GMT
I am seeking information on Samuel (Capt.) Wise of Kershaw Dist. South Carolina. Any information would be greatly appreciated. He would have lived there late 1700's. I believe he died in 1799.

Re: Samuel Wise

jan (View posts)
Posted: 15 May 2005 6:39PM GMT
Joseph Patrick Wise b. 12/26/1847 had a son named
Samuel 1869-1891.
Jeremiah Wiseb. 1815, son of John & Anna Mary Kelly WISE had a son named Samuel m. Mary Stevens.
Joel Wise had a son named Samuel Pickens Wise b. 4/10/1851.
These are the only EARLY Wise S.C. lineage arriving there in 1752 from Germany that I'm aware of, that doesnt mean there
are others. Would be interested in any info you might find
from others.

Posted: 16 May 2005 2:42AM GMT
The Samuel I am looking for is much older than these you have named. The earliest record I have of him in SC is and land grant in 1771 in Craven Co., which may or may not be the Rev soldier Samuel Wise in Kershaw, which I understand was probably Camden Dist at one time. I am told by another researcher that a John Wise born about 1720-died about 1780 immigrated there from Scotland, and also an Ambrose Wise, born 1750 in NC, and his descendants lived there in the PeeDee area in the late 1700's. His children were Thomas, Aaron Christable, Moses, Joh, and Creed. His son Thomas married Charity Dew, daughter of Christopher Dew. Thank you for your reply, I appreciate it.

Jon Wise (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jul 2005 2:54PM GMT
There is a good bit of information on a Captain Samuel Wise who fought in the Revolution and died at the siege of Savannah in 1779(?). This individual had property in the upland areas of S.C. as well as the central part of the state. There appears to have been another Samuel, in the Camden area. There are also records of a John and a James Wise from the Camden area whose names appear in the Audited Account records as having received Revolutionary pay. I have never connected them to the Marion County Wises, but the possibility of a connection is intriguing.
How did you find that Ambrose was the parent of Moses, Aaron, Christable, Creed and Thomas? Is there a bible entry that says this? Obviously, they all appear in Marion in the early 19th century census records. The succession records for Ambrose do not delineate his children, though several Wises show up buying property. There was a Thomas Wise who appears on plat records as early as 1786 owning land in Bear Swamp, about the same time Ambrose first appears on a jury list. Was Thomas the father of Ambrose, and Ambrose the father of the ones you named, as well as James Wise and Jesse Wise, or were Ambrose and Thomas brothers?
Last, there are records of Thomas Wise as early as the 1730s in St. Frederick's WInyaw Parish, which would seem to be one of the earliest predecessor jurisdictions to Georgetown District/Libery County/Marion County/Dillon COunty. He appears as a witness to a land sale as well as on an early jury list. Have you seen these?

Posted: 15 Jul 2005 2:16AM GMT
I haven't been able to find much of anything on Capt. Samuel Wise. (Rev. War soldier) of SC. I believe the John and James Wise who appear in the audited account records for Rev. pay were the sons of James Wise and Rebecca Massey. I would have to find my notes on this but the S.C. Rev. Soldier was listed as a patriot from N.C. (which the boundaries at one time, overlapped). James and Rebecca also had a son named Thomas. I have no idea if this family is in any way related to Ambrose Wise (1750-1829). I found Moses as son of Ambrose in a biography a few years ago. I have not been able to find it again. It also showed a picture of Moses. I found Ambrose listed as the parent of the children you mentioned on the LDS files, and I have not documented that information myself as yet. I have not found any indication that he is my direct line. I would be interested in knowing where to find the information on Samuel Wise (Rev. soldier of SC). It is suggested in one of my books that he was a son of Thomas Wise of the Accomack Wise's.

Posted: 8 Aug 2005 7:13PM GMT
Surnames: Wise
Jeremiah's son was named John William Wise m. Annie Elizabeth Banks. They then had a son named Samuel Clifton m. Mary Stevens.
I am a direct decendent if this line. I would love to compare information you have.

Brad Wise

Posted: 10 Aug 2005 1:36AM GMT
Thank you so much for your reply. The Samuel Wise I am seeking information on would have been a Rev. Soldier. So he would have been much older, I thank you so much for your reply. I am interested in most any of the Wise families in the SC area, especially the Marion Dist. so I will make note of your reply.

John F. Wise (View posts)
Posted: 10 Aug 2005 4:41PM GMT
Surnames: WYSE-WISE-TAIT-LOW-EDWARD
I haven't found them on a Ship's List yet, but 1991-92 research by our SC cousin Elmer O. Parker (now deceased) pinpointed our JOHN WYSE/WISE, RS-SC (1721-1780), his wife MARGARET TAIT (b. est. 1722), and his son WILLIAM WISE, RS-SC Militia (1743/44-1836) initially settled in the Great Pee Dee River Scots settlement (near present day Marion, Marion Co., SC). This family had roots in Arbuthnot and Maryculter Parishes, Kincardineshire (now part of Aberdeen), Scotland. No record has been found to indicate our JOHN WISE, RS-SC (1721-1780) entered SC through the port of Charles Towne (Charleston), SC. This JOHN WISE likely arrived by ship circa 1745-1749 through one of the existing in NC seaports (e.g., New Bern, Cape Fear, Wilmington, etc.), and traveled overland to the "Scots Tract" in the NE SC Pee Dee River area of SC, as did most NE SC Scot settlers at that time. They may have arrived with others, since there were Scottish TAIT/TATEs in SE NC at that time, but have not yet made any connection in NC or SC.

jan (View posts)
Posted: 10 Aug 2005 8:26PM GMT
I only have ancestral information on John William Wise b. 1837 Edgefield S.C. - Just what are you needing?? I have
a very large data base - will need specifics. Thanks. Jan

Posted: 11 Aug 2005 2:56AM GMT
Hi John, Thank you for your reply. I think I may have seen your data on a web page. If the page is yours I have been checking back from time to time for a look at the crests on the site. I also think we coresponded a couple years back about my James Wise, born 1781, died 1858 in Louisiana. I have not connected my James to a family with any definate proof as yet, so I am still searching. He married Permelia Miller, of the SC Miller's, which I still lack documention of her family also. She is reportedly the dau of Joseph Miller, and Ada Gilbert, born abt 1793 in SC. She was named in James's will as Permelia Wise, formerly Permelia Miller. I have seen her in other records as Amelia Miller. Again, thank you for your reply.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic