Search for content in message boards

NEWTON''S OF CONNECTICUT

NEWTON''S OF CONNECTICUT

Posted: 21 Nov 1999 12:40AM GMT
Edited: 20 Jan 2004 8:00PM GMT
I AM SEARCHING FOR INFO REGARDING THE FOLLOWING PEOPLE:
LOIS NEWTON (1804-1871) m. DAVID TURNEY (1799-1874)
GEORGE NEWTON (1807-1840) m. SOPHIA MORSE (1808-1869)
WILLIAM NEWTON (1810-1890) m. MARY LEAVENWORTH (1814-1904)
MARY NEWTON (1820-1896 OR 1904) m. ELIJAH ABEL WOODWARD (1817-?)
ISAAC W. NEWTON (1782-1870) m. POLLY CURTISS (1782 OR 1783-1848)
CHRISTOPHER NEWTON m. MARY

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!
ANY HE

Newtons of CT

Posted: 26 Nov 1999 7:20AM GMT
Edited: 30 May 2002 5:33PM GMT
Are you desc. from Rev. Roger, the Congregational preacher Farmington Milford?
Am desc. thru his son, Samuel, and continue thru many more generations of Samuel's. Samuel Newton, the missionary teacher with the ABCFM Board, had a dau. named Melvina Ruth, who I also find referred to as Mary that was raised by Samuel's sister Olivia who married an attorney named Leavenworth. Anything sound familiar? Natalie

CT NEWTON''S

Posted: 10 Dec 1999 10:43PM GMT
Edited: 20 Jan 2004 8:00PM GMT
I'M SORRY BUT I DON'T HAVE ANY INFO ON YOUR LINE OF NEWTONS. MY LINE LIVED IN THE LITCHFIELD, NORTHFIELD, AND WOODBURY AREAS. I KNOW HOW FRUSTRATING IT IS. UNLESS MY ANCESTOR, CHRISTOPHER NEWTON, WHO CAME OVER FROM ENGLAND HAD A BROTHER, THERE ARE NO OTHER RELATIONS IN THE STATE. GOOD LUCK!

Connecticut Newtons

Posted: 31 Mar 2000 8:14PM GMT
Edited: 7 Nov 2002 10:07PM GMT
Hi, Cuz! I'm also a descendant of Roger Newton and the first three generations of Samuels. Our last common ancestor, the Samuel Newton who married Deborah Baldwin, was a settler of my hometown of Woodbridge, Ct. My line diverges from yours with his son, Enoch, but your ancestor, the fourth Samuel, appears to have been the more colorful character. Ill be happy to share some interesting stories about him if you don't know too much about him.
Happy clan digging,
Jim

Samuel Newton m Deborah Baldwin

Posted: 1 Apr 2000 7:52AM GMT
Thanx for your reply. Would love to hear about him. Did visit Woodbridge and was at the outside of the building that has somekind of dedication to the Newtons, but it was Saturday and closed. Did go to the library there and found a book had not previously seen. Did not visit the cemetery but did in Milford as well as attend church there. This trip to CT was one of most exciting trips I've ever made. May have mentioned in my post, but sorry did not review. Looking forward to hearing from you. Natalie

Samuel Newton IV

Posted: 1 Apr 2000 8:22AM GMT
Glad you enjoyed your visit to my old stomping ground.
Here are a couple of interesting details I've found about my gggggreat-uncle:
He was a Revolutionary War veteran. He was wounded at the Battle of White Plains, NY, and before getting any treatment, he rode his horse back to Woodbridge (about 50 miles) overnight, arrived home the next morning and collapsed in the doorway.
His daughter, Mary, fell in love with a dashng young soldier, Walter Booth, but father Sam didn't approve of the union. He locked her in the root cellar to keep her from running off with him, but somehow she managed to escape and they eloped anyway. Dad decided he was licked any gave them his blessing after all. During the bicentennial, a friend of the family was looking for material for a musical play about the history of the town. My mother suggested that story to her, and she turned it into the best scene in the play.
Samuel was a delegate from Woodbridge to the Connecticut General Assembly when they voted on whether to ratify the U.S. Constitution in 1787. He voted against it! It seems people in smaller towns were worried about tariffs, and had a lot of misgivings about giving too much power to the federal government. That's an issue that's still very much alive today!
Hope you found this interesting. I always think family history is a lot more rewarding when you learn something about the personalities of your forebears and not just a list of dates.
Jim

Samuel IV of CT

Posted: 1 Apr 2000 9:11AM GMT
Jim, typed long reply and forgot to submit before cking something our, so here goes again. Loved the story and can you site the source. It completely escaped me that he was Rev. soldier. His son, Lt. Samuel is one of my supplementals with DAR. (Am going to Wash. DC in 2 wks for Continental Congress NSDAR and hope to spend most of time in library there). Do you have proof of that service and if so, site the book source, etc. as would make it a little quicker for me to find.

My direct line descends thru 3 more Samuels, with the last being a missionary to the Osage and Cherokee Indians, leaving CT in 1821 for that field. Have lots of interesting stuff on this generation because he did a lot in his lifetime. Do you know anything about our common Samuel's. My info on those lines come from lots of early family genealogies, like Baldwin, Newton, etc. plus Jacobus info.

Plan to visit CT again to see more of the ancestrial sites, plus research. While there did spend 1 day at CT State Library but need so much more time there. Did I post anything about my experience in Milford, which was the most exciting of the experience to CT where there 10 or so years ago. Natalie

Samuel Newton IV

Posted: 1 Apr 2000 12:57PM GMT
Natalie, I'm relatively new at the genealogy game myself, and a lot of what I know is second-hand. Most of what I know about Samuel came from an unpublished (but profusely documented) manuscript written by a distant cousin, Helen Newton. I was sure I absconded with a copy when my father sold the house last year, but so far I haven't been able to find it amid all the stuff we've had to put in storage. As far as Samuel's Revolutionary War service, I can only assume he belonged to the same regiment as his brother, Enoch, on whom my mother joined the DAR and I joined the SAR. My papers refer to the Public Records of Connecticut Vol. III pg. 194 Oct. 1780, citing Enoch's appointment as lieutenant in the 10th Company of Alarm list in the 15th regiment and in 1782 list him as captain in the 10th Co., 7th Alarm List, 2nd Regiment. Also, in the collections of the Conn. Historical Society, Rolls and Lists of Connecticut Men in the Revolution, 1775-1783, Vol VIII Pg. 179, 2nd Regiment Col. Thompson, New Haven, May 24, 1777, Enoch Newton is listed as an ensign.
Will keep looking for that manuscript to give you better documentation. I will also try to find a copy of a sermon given by the minister of the First Church of Christ, Woodbridge, about Samuel V's missionary journey to the Native Americans in the Ohio valley.
In the meantime, let's exchange e-mail addresses so we can correspond directly. Mine is kberrieslp@gateway.net.
Regards, Jim

More stuff on Samuel Newtons

Posted: 8 Apr 2000 11:14PM GMT
Natalie, I had a productive day in the storage room ... while my wife switched her seasonal wardrobes, I found a couple of the books containing info on Samuel Newton that I had been looking for. One is the Helen Newton Manuscript "Enoch Newton and His Times," and the other is Reverdy Whitlock's book "The Parish of Amity: A History of the First Church of Christ, Woodbridge, 1738-1904.(Pub 1982 by the church). The latter includes an account of Samuel VI's (a review of Jacobus' "Families of Ancient New Haven" reveals that he was Samuel IV's grandson, not son) missionary journey to the Osage tribe of Missouri. Both contain far more info on Samuel than I could possibly transcribe here, but if you send me your snail mail address I'll be happy to send you some photostats.
One factoid I know you want to know immediately: His Revolutionary War service.
The manuscript says: "Samuel had served as lieutenant in 1776 in the 10th Co, 2nd Reg., Conn. Line, on duty in New York where the Connecticut militia were in the Battle of Long Island. He also marched in Captain Camp's Co, April 29, 1777, and again served on month and 22 days." The item is not footnoted, but the list of sources at the end includes "Connecticut Men in the Revolution," presumably the Conn. Historical Society source I referred to in my previous message, and "List of Veterans of All Wars."
If you do visit Woodbridge in the near future, I suggest you visit the Thomas Darling House, headquarters of the Amity and Woodbridge Historical Society. My mother was the society's president for many years; the flagpole in front contains a memorial to her. The current president is Don Menzies - if you contact him I'm sure he can direct you to more sources.
Hope this helps, and I'll hope to hear from you soon.
Jim

Samuel IV VI

Posted: 10 Apr 2000 6:47AM GMT
Posting directly to your e-mail. Natalie
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions