Search for content in message boards

Ancestry Massachusetts, Town Vital Collections, 1620-1988 help

Ancestry Massachusetts, Town Vital Collections, 1620-1988 help

Posted: 6 Jul 2012 2:06AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cooley
Just wondering where these records are actually from, I'm curious because I found my relative Danniel Cooley in this collection, and for years we could only track him to 1683 in Kent County, Maryland and later to Fayette County, PA. At one time someone told me they had done a DNA test and my line of Cooley's was not shown to be related to the Massachusetts line, but this record intrigues me now, and was wondering if anyone knew where these records actually came from and if this would verify a connection to the Cooley line from there, any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Chris Lilley

Re: Ancestry Massachusetts, Town Vital Collections, 1620-1988 help

Posted: 6 Jul 2012 9:48AM GMT
If you are talking about the Town Vital ~Records~ Collection of images, they are the actual Town Records made by the Town Clerks, fairly contemporaneously, most now held by the Massachusetts State Archive.

"I'm curious because I found my relative Danniel Cooley in this collection . . ."

If you mean you found a person by the same name, that is one thing.

Proving that the person in a record in place A, date X is the same one as a person by the same name in place B, date Y, takes connective **evidence**. Such connective evidence could be a deed where John Doe and Cunigunda his wife, of B, sell their land in A. Or John Doe of B made a will bequeathing his land specifically described as being "in A" to a child. These are two of many possibilities requiring detailed research in local records.

"Same name = same person" is the most common genealogical mistake (same surname = same family is next most common).

Posted: 6 Jul 2012 12:40PM GMT
Thanks for the reply, I'm still looking into the matter. My relative's name, wife and birth date all match, but as I said, a few back someone told me through DNA testing that my line was not a match to the line in Massachusetts. In any case, its a new mystery to work on, but its a good step to narrow down my research

Posted: 6 Jul 2012 9:37PM GMT
A person documented in Kent Co., MD in 1683 as an adult is extremely unlikely to turn up in any record attributable to Fayette Co., PA (created 1783 from Westmoreland Co., PA, whose earliest record is as a couple of townships of Bedford Co., PA in 1773). It would be even less likely if the 1683 record were a birth record.

Was this a typographical error?

Posted: 6 Jul 2012 10:32PM GMT
My line goes back to Daniel Cooley, whose birth is listed as 23 Mar 1683, Died 1729 in Kent Co., MD, His son Richard born in Kent Co., MD in 1722, and Richard's Son Richard Cooley 6 Nov 1756, in Maryland, Died 30 Nov 1840 in Fayette Co., Pa. Both Richard Cooley's are buried in Fayette County, in Mt Moriah Cemetary, Smithfield, PA, I must have wrote my post wrong, I didn't mean to imply that Daniel Cooley was in Fayette Co., at all

Posted: 6 Jul 2012 11:05PM GMT
Yes, you said "I found my relative Danniel Cooley in this collection, and for years we could only track him to 1683 in Kent County, Maryland and later to Fayette County, PA."

Descendants' being in Fayette Co., PA is much more sensible.

Posted: 29 Aug 2012 7:47PM GMT
Daniel Cooley of Kent Co. MD is my 6th great grandfather. After 20+ years of research, I could not find any evidence connecting him with the Massachusetts Cooleys. Michael Cooley
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions