Search for content in message boards

Find A Grave website -- Urch Mistakes

Find A Grave website -- Urch Mistakes

Posted: 2 Jun 2011 3:57PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 5 Apr 2013 6:48PM GMT
Surnames: Urch
You know what,that is a good idea. I have found numerous mistakes posted by "Steve" regarding the Urch family at Maplewood Cemetery in Illinois. It appears if you are a member you can hi-jack a name and change the information from what it originally was and add family members incorrectly and so on. I've searched all morning for a way to correct this and the heck with correcting his mistake when I can do exactly what you suggested. It bothered me because he took my Great Aunt and gave her a new husband and children and ignored her real husband right there next to her let alone her son. Thank you!

Re: Find A Grave -- Urch Mistakes

Posted: 18 May 2012 3:00PM GMT
Edited: 5 Apr 2013 6:48PM GMT
Have you considered just following the process in place? Take a few minutes and read the FAQs (they are like operating instructions). Corrections can be made by contacting the other contributor, and if they don't respond, it can be sent to the administrators for editing. It may take a little time to get the issues resolved, but in the long run, it will be more productive than going about it your way.

Re: Find A Grave -- Urch Mistakes

Posted: 14 Feb 2013 12:22AM GMT
Edited: 5 Apr 2013 6:52PM GMT
I did exactly that. Sent a message to the contributor to correct a name spelling and he transfered the memorial to me to correct.
I respect that since he did the leg work.

Re: Find A Grave

Posted: 22 Feb 2013 12:32AM GMT
Edited: 5 Apr 2013 6:51PM GMT
My brief experience with Find A Grave is that many contributors are so busy racing against each other to add memorials from obits online of people they do not know, that they make large numbers of mistakes, and are then insulted and angered when asked to correct their data. My experience on their forum is that moderators and members are quick to judge and attack posters, even stoop to name calling, who are simply asking for advice and clarification of the rules. This is not a nice place to be part of if you are looking for a nice community to join.

Posted: 31 Mar 2013 5:16PM GMT
Edited: 5 Apr 2013 6:49PM GMT
Unfortunately it has gotten that way although most of the contributors are great people. With others, it seems to be a race to see who can accumulate the most memorials, even though most have no information at all beyond the name of the deceased. I would also advise anyone using the site to avoid the forums, especially the help forum.

Posted: 25 Apr 2013 5:14PM GMT
I agree with katinwy60 that "most of the contributors are great people", although I would add a small caveat "most of the contributors **who understand the purpose of Find A Grave** are great people". Understanding the purpose should be essential to using any website. People arrive at Find A Grave expecting it to be a genealogy site. Most of the problems arise from trying to make it something it is not.

The Help forum is good if the new person does not expect the site to change the policies for them. It sounds ridiculous but new people seem to expect that and then get mad when others in the Help forum try to explain why it's not going to happen.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions