Search for content in message boards

Can I merge duplicate individuals within my tree?

Can I merge duplicate individuals within my tree?

Posted: 24 Sep 2012 3:37AM GMT
Classification: Query
My "find duplicates" function doesn't seem to be finding duplicates that exist in my tree.

There are duplicates that exist in my people list that aren't showing up in my search.

I have merged other existing trees, I think the problem is tied to this.

The only way I can figure solving the problem would be to merge the duplicate individuals manually.

Is this possible?

I don't want to have to it the other way: save info/pictures etc then erase duplicates then add missing info to the original....ugh.

fyi, I've tried compacting, closing and reloading and it still won't find them...they're still there.

Help?

Re: Can I merge duplicate individuals within my tree?

Posted: 24 Sep 2012 5:58AM GMT
The Find duplicates is an advisory screen report not an absolute as there are many factors that can lead to false positives.

It works best if you have at least 3 data items, e.g. Name, DOB, POB and preferably parents as well.

The report encourages you to examine each person (compare) and consider additional facts before considering a merge from this report.

I find that if I know I have duplicate entries it is better to use the Merge two specific individuals in the People Menu.

I would encourage the use of a practice or dummy file to practice using the find duplicates and merge two specific individuals as merging can make big and sometimes unintended changes to your file.

Having good backups before you merge is recommended, and in fact FTM offers to do this before most merges

John D

Posted: 25 Sep 2012 4:17AM GMT
Thanks John-I didn't realize there was a drop down menu there!

Posted: 25 Sep 2012 7:49AM GMT
There are lots of drop down menus as well as a lot of capability with the right mouse button :-)

John D

Posted: 15 Dec 2012 6:08PM GMT
Thanks johndd189, you reported " merging can make big and sometimes unintended changes to your file. Can you give me some examples of what these changes might be? And, What can cause the duplicates. Duplicates seem to keep poping up.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic