Search for content in message boards

James/William O'neill Athy /Carlow Kildare

James/William O'neill Athy /Carlow Kildare

Posted: 13 Nov 2007 4:41PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: O'neill, Bailey, Pollard
I am trying to find information on the O'neill family of Athy/ Carlow. My Gt Grandfather was William Henry O'neill b 1856. His father was James O'neill a watchmaker of Carlow who married Eliza Bailey 1849. William joined the Army and settled in Falmouth Cornwall U.K and married Eliza Pollard.

Re: James/William O'neill Athy /Carlow Kildare

Posted: 26 Aug 2012 12:36PM GMT
James O'Neill and Eliza Bailey were married in St Michaels Church of Ireland, Athy Co.Kildare, in the presence of a Luke O'Neill, ? April 1849. I think they were in some way related to my GG granfather James O'Neill 1800-1876,son of Luke, 1769-1841 and Elizabeth nee Ransford 1770-?
These O'Neills came from Garyhill/Fenagh Carlow, and Hugh, James, John, Luke, Morgan, George and William are reoccuring names in the familys

Posted: 16 Oct 2012 1:07PM GMT
Surnames: O'Neill/ Bailey
Hi Dermott,

I stumbled across your message and was wondering if Sue Hornsey had replied to your message? Sue and I are cousins,and are both descended from James O'Neill and Eliza Bailey of Carlow.

Kindest regards,

Kathleen.

Posted: 16 Oct 2012 8:14PM GMT
Hi Kathleen,
did not hear from Sue. do you know anything of James ( watchmaker) siblings or parents? my gg grandfather James tenant farmed at ballyculane? just outside athy, and I think it was his brother Luke, who was witness at your James and Eliza's wedding. Do you have anything on a Quaker or Methodist connections?
Cheers
Dermott

Posted: 16 Oct 2012 9:18PM GMT
Hi Dermott,

Thank you for replying to my message. It's funny that you should mention a Quaker connection because this is something that I have heard too. I will sort out some information about the family and get back to you over the next couple of days.

Kindest regards,

Kathleen.

Posted: 17 Oct 2012 4:13PM GMT
Hi Dermott,

I have been in touch with Sue and as a result I'm afraid that I don't have anything new to tell you after all. I'm so sorry, but you see, all my information came from Sue in the first place. Thank you for the correspondence though, it is all very interesting, and I'm sure that one day we will get to the bottom of it all.

Kind regards, and good luck with your research.

Kathleen.

Posted: 17 Oct 2012 10:20PM GMT
Hi Kathleen,
Re; your James ( watchmaker ) , I presume you have searched the carlow church records, ( free search ) it shows a lot of his children baptised in CoI carlow.
Previously mentoned Luke is buried in the Quaker graveyard in Newgarden Carlow, my gg grandfather and two other brothers and two wives are buried in Ballitore Quaker graveyard ( have photos ). great grandfather John, describes himself as Weselyian/Methodist in census, GGGG Grandfather John and Esther buried Fennagh CoI. who I think could be a joint ancestor. very mixed up in choice of churches. if there is a way of swapping emails, I can share some photos and links.
D

Posted: 19 Oct 2012 12:59PM GMT
Hi Dermott,

Because I'm heavily involved with other research in my tree at the moment, It's not possible for me to get involved with the O'Neill research as well therefore, I am sorry to say that I shall be leaving it all in Sue's capable hands; she is, after all, far more advanced in the search than I could ever be.

Kindest regards,

Kathleen.

Posted: 9 May 2014 9:47PM GMT
Hi Suzanne, I am researching Baileys in Co Kildare in particular around Athy & Naas, when I saw your notes. Would you have any additional information on any Baileys in Co Kildare. I know that Eliza Bailey parents are Thomas and a Sarah (surname unknown). Best regards
Ciaran Bailey

Posted: 9 May 2014 9:48PM GMT
Hi Dermott, I am researching Baileys in Co Kildare in particular around Athy & Naas, when I saw your notes. Would you have any additional information on any Baileys in Co Kildare. I know that Eliza Bailey parents are Thomas and a Sarah (surname unknown). Best regards
Ciaran Bailey
per page

Find a board about a specific topic