Search for content in message boards

Ligos or Legos?

Ligos or Legos?

Posted: 3 Jun 2009 2:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello,

I want to know if the surname is Ligos or Legos. I'm interested in Anna Ligos who was born in Hungary in July 1858 and died in Binghamton, NY 1 Oct 1907. She married Alexander Horvatt. They had four children, Andrew J., Alexander, Michael and Mary.

Anna had three brothers, Andrew, Michael, and William. And one sister Susan.

Joe Backes
Ebackes@nycap.rr.com

Re: Ligos or Legos?

Posted: 23 Jul 2009 4:20PM GMT
Hi Joe.. I have some information on your Family if you would Email me Direct..Thx..Evy

Evy_Larkin@yahoo.com (There is a _ between my names)

Posted: 3 Nov 2009 4:15AM GMT
I don't know the spelling of the name but one of the children of Anna and Alexander - Alexander - was my grandfather. I have a watch that was a gift from Alexander to Alexander in 1915 and bears that inscription. I remember my Uncle Mike, my grandfather's brother and have heard stories about Andrew.

Posted: 4 Nov 2009 11:02PM GMT
Surnames: Ligoša Ligoš Legos
You may have settled on one or the other spelling by now, but I just saw your post. Did a quick check, and probably both are right. It looks like Ligoša (or Ligoš) was the original name, but as far as I could tell, they switched to Legos.

Posted: 5 Nov 2009 12:28AM GMT
Hello Joe,

Thanks for your post.

Excuse my ignorance, but what did you check? Where are you getting Ligoša (or Ligoš) from?

I think the only thing to do is to do them all, having Ligos as the preferred with the rest as alternatives, maybe I can draw the attention of more family members and someone can set me straight.

Joe Backes

Posted: 8 Nov 2009 11:29PM GMT
Hi Joe B,
I'm having some back problems, so I can't spend a lot of time explaining, but I'd like to suggest that you keep the primary name as Legos and alternative name as Ligos. I'll explain in another reply to your post, with more details ASAP. ...Joe V

Posted: 9 Nov 2009 4:32PM GMT
Surnames: LIGOS LEGOS HORVAT HORVATT
There was a book published in Binghamton in 1919 describing the 1st 40 yrs of the Slovak community in the area, "Dejiny Binghamtonských Slovákov Za Dobu Štyridsat Rokov, 1879-1919", compiled by IMRICH MAŽÁR. The book was mostly written in Slovak.
A few years ago, there was an English version of it published by his daughter, I think, "The History of Binghamton Slovaks OVER A PERIOD OF FORTY YEARS 1879 – 1919".
The Binghamton Library has both versions in their collection, and I think there are copies of the English version on sale.
I've used these as a reference quite a bit and found the spellings of names to be accurate when searching early cemetery and naturalization records, early city directories, and ship manifests. That's where I found Ligoša (maybe a plural spelling?) and Ligoš. I didn't find Legos in these books. That being said, the only place else that I found Ligos is the 1900 US Census.
(By the way, I found Horvát and Horvátt in the book.)
Every place else it was Legos. The single gravestone for Alexander, Anna, & Alexander Jr. has "Anna Legos; wife of Alex Horvatt; born in Olsinkov, Austria Sept 15, 1860; died Oct ??, 1907". (?? = I couldn't read the day; very worn)
Gravestones for Anna's brother William, his wife, and son's William and Stephen, all have it spelled Legos.
Marriage licenses for Alexander & Anna's children Alexander Jr., Michael J, & Mary all had their mother's name as Legos.
1925 Binghamton City directory has 8 Legos families, and no Ligos families.
I'd be glad to help, but back problems are temporarily restraining my efforts. Are you by chance located in the Binghamton area? Regards...Joe

Posted: 9 Nov 2009 10:02PM GMT
Hello Joe,

Wow, thanks for the info. I have been to the Broome County Public Library. They have a great amount of genealogical material on the second floor.

By the way, you can email me at Ebackes@nycap.rr.com

My father was born in Binghamton, NY. We have many cousins in the area. I was born in Albany, NY and I'm still in Albany, NY. So, I'm not too far away. When it is warm out I like to go looking around the cemeteries in the Binghamton area, especially when I know an ancestor is at a certain cemetery. Fortunately, the ones I've been too are cared for and the grave markers are in decent shape.

Joe

Posted: 25 Feb 2010 8:12AM GMT
Anna Ligos was born 12 OCT 1859, her father was Basil Ligos, do you know when was born her husband? She was a Carpatho-Rusyn in her homeland!

Mick /Kosice, Slovakia/ arusm@yahoo.com

Posted: 27 Mar 2012 6:09PM GMT
Hi,
I have the book. It is signed by Emerick Mazar.
A similar but newer book is selling on e-bay for 300.00.
I found your post while reachering what price I should put on it for e-bay. In the mean time, I'm in Endicott, and if someone want to look at it to find out annas name they are welcome to see it. I cant read it because it is not English.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions