Search for content in message boards

Add an entire tree to my tree?

Add an entire tree to my tree?

Posted: 13 Jan 2011 5:56AM GMT
Classification: Query
My 2nd cousin & I have the same Great Grand Parents.

Is there a simple straight-forward method to add that other entire tree to my tree in one (almost one) action?

I'd already started my tree and I've been 'attaching' each relative one at a time. This makes no sense when everyone in that other tree also belongs in my tree.

Please tell me I'm missing something terribly obvious.

Thank you. -_Q

Re: Add an entire tree to my tree?

Posted: 13 Jan 2011 6:24AM GMT
In a word- no- no way...at least online.

You could get your cousin to provide you with a GEDCOM and then download a GEDCOM of your online tree, input them into a genealogy program on your computer, merge them, remove the duplicates, and then create a new GEDCOM and upload it creating a new online tree.

That said, most experienced genealogist advise against copying *anything* from one online tree to another as there is no way to tell how accurate the data or the sourcing(if any!) is.

Posted: 14 Jan 2011 3:37AM GMT
Thank you AG.

Yes I do realize the folly in simply copying a tree but in this particular case my cousin has been at this forever and 7 days so-to-speak =) and I do trust her info & documentation. But I do thank you for the nudge.

In what's left of my mind I'd like to see something like a 'Cntrl+click' along a branch and after X many selections "Add these people to your tree? Y/N" and away you go.

About the Gedcom idea. Are there any freeware programs you might recommend (Mac). I've been considering "Reunion 9" quite pricey at approx. $100 & I see Family Tree comes in around half that. I really can't afford to buy something and too quickly learn it isn't worth it.

Again... Thanks

Clive

Posted: 14 Jan 2011 4:15AM GMT
Clive,

I know of no freeware genealogy programs for the Mac-sorry.

Can your Mac run a Windows simulator?

If so you could get one and then grab a copy of PAF of Legacy, get a GEDOM from you cousin and a GEDCOM of your online tree- import them both into PAF, eliminate duplicates, do clean up, etc and then export that file to a new GEDCOM.

At least you'd have everything in one GEDCOM. Then you can try to find a way to get that GEDCOM onto your Mac.

Posted: 14 Jan 2011 5:56PM GMT
Well I'll take a pass on that approach for now.

Attaching the oldies one by one will at least give me a better idea of exactly who everybody is and where they came from.

Thanks -_Q

Clive

Posted: 6 Oct 2012 2:33PM GMT
Did you ever find a way to attach the tree? Why redo what has already been done? I am trying to create trees for my children and my sister has already done our side of the family and I want to merge it in but cannot find a way to do it.

Posted: 10 Oct 2012 12:54AM GMT
IMHO!

Software merging of trees at best is a "crap shoot". Why? Because unless each tree was produced by the same software, many tags or "facts" are not always equal and information can be lost. Also when the software does a compare of like named people in the matching and merging process you may get false positives that will need to be cleared and for large DBs this could be very tedious.

Andy is also correct about sourcing issues. Many people forget about duplicate sources that may not be merged or the sourcing information may not use the same standards or just many be real bad.

Using a GEDCOM to merge is hard if you are not an epert with GEDCOM. One mistake and your DB is really messed up.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions