Search for content in message boards

JOSEPH KISER

JOSEPH KISER

Mark R. Kiser (View posts)
Posted: 23 Mar 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: KISER, KEYSER, STACEY, CHILDRESS, JESSEE, BREEDING, SUTHERLAND, SKEEN, ARTRIP, LAFORCE
Kiser, Joseph, 1756-1816

Joseph Kiser was born about the year 1756 probably in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. His father, Charles Keyser from Germany, had settled in Lancaster County (1) for a period of time before he acquired land in Frederick County, Virginia in 1765 (2) and area near Hawksbill, later to become Shenandoah County and presently located in Page County, Virginia. On October 8, 1778 he appears in the Page County records when he sued for debt and was awarded 18 shillings and 6 pence plus court cost. On October 10, 1782 the Commonwealth of Virginia granted Joeph Keyser 88 acres of land on the south side of the Clinch River. Marginal notations show this entry marked "void" and "Survd. 50 acres". The same record shows that on December 18, 1783 he had surveyed 50 acres at the same location. At that time the land was in Washington County, later to become a part of Russell County in 1786. The area he settled became known as Keyser Station, today known as Carbo. In December of 1785 he signed the petition to form Russell County. On March 18, 1793 he purchased 70 acres of land on Becks Branch of Russell County from John Frost and others. On November 24, 1801, Joseph and his wife, Susannah, conveyed to Jacob Burch 50 acres of land on the waters of Clinch River on the north side of Copper Ridge and adjoining Edward Kelly, "it being fifty acres which land was granted by the Commonwealth to said Keiser bearing date the 21st day of November 1792". Both grantors signed the deed. He was a Russell County juror on April 22, 1789, and also on June 26, 1792. He was allowed 12 shillings, 6 pence for killing one old wolf on February 22, 1791. His estate was appraised by Abraham Childress, James Sutherland, Jacob Blare and William Kelley, and the appraisal was recorded February 6, 1816. Joseph married Susannah Stacey probably in Page County, Virginia but spent most of their lives in Russell County, Virginia where both died, Joseph in 1816. Nearly all his descendants spell their surname Kiser. Their children were: Joseph Kiser, born 6 June 1782, died 27 March 1869, married Mary P. Childress; Abednego Kiser, born 1784, died October 4, 1814 in War of 1812, married 8 September 1803 to Mary P. Jessee; John Kiser, born 8 August 1786, died 15 April 1852, married 4 March 1796 to Nancy Long; Nimrod Kiser, born 1788, died 1828, married Mary P. Breeding; Ephraim Kiser, born 1790, died 11 October 1885, married 31 August 1815 to Mary P. Sutherland; Susannah Kiser, born 1792, died 23 July 1860, married Stephen Skeen; Mary Polly Kiser, born 1794, married James Artrip; Charles Kiser, born 1796, died 5 June 1880, married Nancy LaForce; Elizabeth Kiser, born 1798

(1) Kercheval's "History of the Valley", 4th Ed., page 37 relates an incident in relation to which "Major Andrew Keyser also informed the author that an Indian once called at his father's in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, appeared to be much agitated, and asked for something to eat. After refreshing himself he was asked what disturbed him. He replied, 'The Southern Indians have killed my whole nation.'" This indicates clearly that Charles Keyser lived in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, before he settled in what is now Page County, Virginia. (2) By deed of April 6, 1765, recorded in Frederick County, Virginia, deed book No. 10, page 248, Lewis Rhinehart and Mathias Rhinehart of Frederick County, Virginia conveyed unto Charles Keyser, of the same place, a parcel of land on the South Fork of the Shenandoah, being the lower end of two tracts of land granted to Mathias Rhinehart by deed of February 8, 1764, from the Proprietor's Office of the Northern Neck of Virginia.

NOTE: I have located in a book titled, "Bird-Samuels Paper" that a Joseph Kiser, along with Charles Kiser (Jr.) are listed in Michael Reader's Company of Dunmore County, Virginia during the Revolutionary War. Dunmore County eventually became Shenadoah County. I believe this Joseph Kiser to be the same Joseph that settled in Russell County, Virginia and he also had a brother named Charles Kiser (Jr.). I have written to the National Archives to obtain records but that were unable to locate any.

KISER, KEYSER, STACEY, BREEDING

Posted: 19 Jun 1998 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 15 Mar 2004 1:52AM GMT
Mark, I am so impressed to see the information on our Joseph Kiser that you have posted. It's just great!
I descend from:
1. Charles (Carl Kayser) Keyser & Elizabetha Groseclose
2. Joseph and Susannah Stacy Kiser:
3. Nimrod & Mary "Polly" Breeding Kiser
4. Nimrod (Jr.) & Mary Ann Sumner Kiser
5. Joseph & Rosa Miller Kiser
6. Dora Margaret & Daniel Joseph Holloran
7. Julia R. Holloran & Hulon Voyles (me)

Did you know our Charles (Carl Kayser) Keyser and wife, Elizabetha Grossgloss (Groseclose) came to America aboard the ship "Patience" and arrived in the Port of Philadelphia on 19 September 1749 and he signed the Pledge of Allegiance to Pennsylvania the same day?

Keyser,Kiser, Stacey

Pam Powers (View posts)
Posted: 19 Jun 1998 12:00PM GMT
Mark,
Thank you for all of the information on Charles Keyser. I have been trying to find out information on him for a while now. The only thing that I have different is that the name Karl was also added to Charles Keyser's name. My husband's ggrandmother was a Kiser. I would love to exchange information with you. Thank You! Pam

KISER

shandra kiser oliver (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jun 1998 12:00PM GMT

I AM TRACING MY FAMILY...GRANDFATHER BEVERLY FLOYD KISER
MARRIED TO CHRISTINA SMITH...SON ODE HALL KISER MARRIED TO AVA BARTLEY..AND THERE SON ALBERT LUTHER KISER MY FATHER
SOMEONE EMAILED ME AND SAID THE FATHER OF BEVERLY FLOYD WAS ABEDNIGO KISER ...IF ANYONE KNOWS OF THIS FAMILY LINE PLEASE EMAIL ME THANKS SHANDRA

BEVERLY FLOYD KISER

Posted: 25 Jun 1998 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 15 Mar 2004 1:52AM GMT
Shandra, this is Beverly Floyd Kiser's lineage:

BEVERLY FLOYD KISER EXERPT

1. Charles Keyser & Elizabetha Grossclose
2. Joseph Keyser / Kiser & Susannah Stacy
3. Abednego Kiser & Mary “Polly” Jessee
4. Elihu Kiser & Jane “Jennie” Skeen
5. Abednego Kiser & Margaret Jessee
6. Beverly Floyd Kiser & Christina Smith

I am posting you privately with a little more info.

Julie

Susanna Kiser

Posted: 7 Dec 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 13 Jun 2002 3:05AM GMT
Surnames: KISER, SKEEN
My ggggreat grandmother is Susanna KISER from Russell co, VA. She was married to Stepehn SKEEN and they had 18 kids. I would appreciate any info on her family.

Re: KISER, KEYSER, STACEY, BREEDING

Posted: 4 Mar 2005 11:45PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 17 Mar 2005 8:39PM GMT
I'M THE GRT.RGT.GRANDDAUGHTER OF PETER AND SUSAN KEISER, THERE WAS A JOSEPH THAT WAS A BROTHER TO MY GRT.GRANDMOTHER, LYDIA, IS THIS THE SAME FAMILY ?

Re: Susanna Kiser

Posted: 3 Feb 2009 3:18AM GMT
Classification: Query
I go back to Susanna Kiser and Steven Skeens through their son , Archibald. Would like to hear from anyone from that line.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions