Search for content in message boards

how do i search for

how do i search for

d. persaud (View posts)
Posted: 6 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Persaud, singh, Rampersad
How do I search for my family lines?
Is there a bureau of vital statistics in Guyana?
What if I am unsure of names?

Gibbs

John Mekonen (View posts)
Posted: 15 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Gibbs, Luken, Lyken
Looking for family located in Georgetown, Spring Gardens, and other places.
Posted: 17 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 7 Jul 2001 5:21AM GMT
Surnames: Gibbs, McMahon
Unfortunately you didn't specify a particular time period regarding Gibbs in Guyana, but here is what I've come up with.

In the 1822 Guiana Chronicle and Demerara Gazette there is frequent mention of a mercantile house called McMahon, Gibbs & Co. This is the only year so far that I have come across the combined names. I believe that the above McMahon to be the brother of my 3 x ggrandmother, hence my interest.

An index of BDMs in The Colonist Newspaper, Georgetown, British Guiana for 1864-1880 has the following entries: Gibbs - 1870

An index of BDMs in The Argosy Newspaper, Georgetown, British Guiana for 1880-1896 has the following entries: Gibbs - 1884

Copies of these newspaper are to be found at The British Library Newspaper Library, Colindale Avenue, London NW9 5HE England and also at the Public Record Office, Kew, Richmond Surrey TW9 4DU England

Regret I have no further information.
Tikwis

Robert Frederick Allicock

Deanna Peterson (View posts)
Posted: 6 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Allicock
I would like to know when R.F. Allicock arrived in British Guiana. I would also like to know where he is buried. I know he died Oct. 10th. 1822. He came from Scotland.

Re: Robert Frederick Allicock

Posted: 29 Aug 2011 4:48AM GMT
Hello Deanna, My name is Janice, I am the Granddaughter of Samuel Allicock. I hope this message reaches you. Do you know Samuel Allicock Jr? He is my uncle. I too, would love to know more about Robert F. Allicock, my Great (I don't know how many times..) Grandfather. Do you have or found any more information about him and his wife, Anne Mansfield? They had eight (8) children together. I would love to learn and know more about them. Thanks and I hope to hear from you!

Posted: 24 Oct 2011 9:48PM GMT
The 1800s saw some of the most significant events that shaped the lives of our family, upper Demerara and Guyana as a whole. The century began with Robert Frederick Allicock establishing his family and plantation in the virgin forest of upper Demerara amidst the shackles of a slave society. It was indeed an era ‘where the shock of circumstances, strong and quiet men drove back a jungle and gave Guiana root.’ Robert Frederick Allicock and family attempted to tame a wild Demerara as Plantation Noitgedacht was created 65 miles from the Atlantic coast of what is now Guyana.
The area went from Dutch to English control in 1803 as the first major transition and influence took place. The untimely death of Robert Frederick Allicock on October 10th 1822 left his mostly minor children under the legal care of a good friend in John Dagleish Paterson which symbolized the sign of the times. This was probable one the most important personal event in our early family history. Mostly minor mix race children left to survive in a rigid, primitive and harsh race based slave society.
On Sept. 10th 1822 when Robert Frederick Allicock took his quill or feather pen and wrote his last will and testament, he was in a totally different Guiana. The brilliant morning sun of his last days in Demerara would have illuminated an entirely different age. Most of the land along the banks of the Demerary River was divided into plantations and worked by slaves. The movement to end slavery had brought an end to the importation of Africans in 1807 but slavery was still in effect.
Dutch and English were the primary language as English culture and laws slowly took over. Ownership of land and property defined the era. Robert Frederick Allicock’s fears and concerns of the times would have also been deeply on his mind as he said goodbye to family and property. His historical will laid the foundation for research and understanding of our family and is pivotal to the heritage of all the Allicocks of Demerara.
The separate three former Dutch colonies of Demerara, Essequibo and Berbice were finally united into one entity called British Guiana in 1831 and were govern from Georgetown the former Dutch city of Stabroek. “Guiana” would have been foreign to Robert Frederick Allicock and new to his children. It is natural to think in terms of Robert Frederick Allicock and family in earlier “British Guiana”. However British Guiana did not exist just yet.

The Allicocks children went on to find their way through an unforgiving and difficult world. They would experience the most important event of that century with the abolition act of Slavery in 1833 which brought an end of the Trans- Atlantic Slave Trade in Africans and the most repugnant industry known to the history of humanity.
No more were a people reduced to basic commodities as the genesis of a new social and economic relationship came of age. With the end of slave labor, the huge demand for manual labor for all of Guyana’s industries brought Indians, Portuguese and Chinese as the six races of Guyana were created.
The upper Demerara Plantations was replaced by the timber, balata, and gold influences was followed by population increases in the area. Life changed for many as they worked directly or indirectly with these industries.
The Paterson’s Sawmill created the first glimpse of a village. Many family members still however continued to live along both banks of the Demerara River with some moving further up river. Many of Robert Frederick Allicock descendants also worked privately as farmers, timber grant owners or provided service like shop keeping, transportation and midwifery. Many contracted their labor with timber grants, balata, gold and diamond business which saw many homes fatherless for months as they worked in the deep hinterland of Demerara and Essequibo.
Improved technology also occurred in this time period. Sail boats were replaced with Steam brigs as transportation and communication improved. Guyana’s first water powered sawmill was constructed as water from the nearby Catabulli creek was channeled to the water wheel of Paterson’s Sawmill at Christianburg. Many crops including cocoa, coffee, plantain, sugar and cotton were grown on the early plantations in upper Demerara. The attraction to hardwood then balata rubber and precious gold and diamond resources brought new businesses and improved life.
The 1800s saw the establishment of the basic pillars and foundations of our family and their heritage. The tides of the Demerara River saw the sunset of the earlier influences as the century came to an end. Major changes were on the horizon as the grandchildren and great grandchildren of Robert Frederick Allicock forged ahead into the brightness of 1900 leaving behind fading history and memories of challenging times.
Best regards, your cousin Dmitri Allicock.
I encourage you value your hertage and continue to seek out information. Knowing the past is knowledge of yourself and the future Stay in touch now that you have my email and I promise to assist you in any or everyway in understanding our history. { DNALLICOCK@GMAIL.COM

Posted: 1 Feb 2012 12:54PM GMT
"Set in Guyana (British Guiana) Black Water People details the trials of my mother's family, the Allicocks, whose ancestor, a white Scottish plantation owner, settled in the country in the second half of the 18th.century.

"What is unique about this story is that Robert Frederick Allicock had eight children with a colored woman, with whom he lived openly, and one child with an Amerindian woman, At his death, he willed his plantation ,slaves and all, the colored woman and their children, and even made provisions for the Amerindian woman and her child. The family has copies of the will".

"In the Early in the 20th.century,a Canadian company acquired some of the land and mined for bauxite. Later, Allicock descendants sued Demba (Demerara bauxite Company) and won. However, the money provided a mixed blessing once, for the most part, the mail, long divided by color, became further estranged. This story is not just about the Allicocks. It also explores the unique history of of Guyana, with its slave rebellions and anti-slavery, movements, and conflicts between the Dutch. and the British, among others."

That is not half the story. The Allicock's , live-wired by Sammy Allicock , recently from Guyana, brings off a family reunion in Maryland ,USA. The reunion achieves reconciliation among the Allicock family and its branches. It ends with everybody happy and relieved, as they had over come the typical Guyanese problem of dark-skinned and light-skinned relatives.

All this is faithfully documented and then Carmen B.Subryan's creative imagination takes over. She reconstructs the inner lives of the Allicocks, beginning with the lone Allicock who landed in Guyana from Scotland one fine day in 1769. Out of this fact she builds a fascinating ,easy to read story of the lives of many men and women we would have had no chance of meeting. Having met them we do not easily forget their presence.

The tile is right on, because people who live along the banks of the Demerara River and its creeks ,the location of the story live with black water, which is a factor of their lives, as much now as when the story began.

You can buy the book from Demerara Press, 11400 Pitsea Drive, Beltsville,MD 20705,

Posted: 13 Dec 2012 2:09PM GMT
Edited: 13 Dec 2012 2:10PM GMT
I am the former Sharon Westmaas. The Westmaas family is well known in Guyana, and we too are descended from the Allicocks.

My uncle Dennis once collected the facts of our family history,
This is what he writes:
Robert Frederick Allicock. Scotsman, born ?? Died 1822
He had 32 slaves and 10 cows. He owned land at Noitgedacht in the McKenzie ( now Pinder ) area of the Demerara River. He married Nancy, a free woman of mixed blood. Her son by Robert F Allicock was the father of James Garvan Allicock.

James Garvan Allicock. Born 1835 died about 1918 -1919 in the Alms House where I was taken to see him by my mother. Before residing at the Alms House he used to take his mid-day meal with us at the corner of Oronoque and South Road where Rupert was born.

James Allicock had married a woman named Georgiana Edkins from St Eustasius ( commonly called Saba) in the Dutch West Indies. By her he had Indiana Euphemia Allicock born May 24 th 1850 and others.

Indiana married a man of Jewish extract named James Alexander Richardson, born 1856 died 1914. By him she had Janet Theodosia Richardson, Winifred Alberta Richardson, Kathleen Richardson, Amy Richardson and Frank Richardson.

Winifred Albertha Richardson married George William Westmaas on just 4 th 1911. By him she had the eight Westmaas boys Denis, David, Donald, Douglas, Rupert, Patrick, Leonard, and Rory (Richard).
D,
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions