Search for content in message boards

looking for descendants 1845 Meek Cutoff of Oregon Trail

looking for descendants 1845 Meek Cutoff of Oregon Trail

Posted: 26 Jan 2008 2:47AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: King, Fuller
I'm looking for descendants of the 1845 Oregon Trail pioneers who took the Meek Cutoff. I have 3 books on this subject & have retraced a lot of their trail. It's such an amazing story, hopefully we can share information. My ggg & gggg grandparents who came on this trail were named King & Fuller.
Robin

Re: looking for descendants 1845 Meek Cutoff of Oregon Trail

Posted: 3 Feb 2008 7:21PM GMT
Surnames: Lloyd
My third great grandfather, was John Lloyd, who was on the wagon train.

Posted: 4 Feb 2008 2:37AM GMT
Surnames: King, Fuller, Norton
Hi, do you have the book about the Meek Cutoff called The Terrible Trail? Your ggg grandfather is listed in the roster with all of his family members. It says the Lloyds were in the last group to take the cutoff & that John Lloyd was an alternate captain. Have you followed their trail? With the help of this book you can find their route, the spring on Wagontire Mtn. where they finally found water, juniper trees they cut down to make drags, a grave, ruts descending slopes, & the spot on the Deschutes River where they dismantled their wagons & pulled them across on a cable suspended over the river. Amazing. My third great grandparents Abigail King & Price Fuller were in the 2nd group with their parents Nahum & Sarepta (Norton) King & Arnold Fuller, my 4th great grandparents. I'd be more than happy to help anyone who'd like to find this trail. Robin

Posted: 4 Feb 2008 3:25AM GMT
Yes, I have the book. I've read portions. While I've followed portions of the trail, I've not followed the Meek Cutoff. A goal of mine. It was tough trail and tough pioneers. Do you have any letters or diaries describing the trail?

Posted: 4 Feb 2008 5:40PM GMT
No, I don't have any letters or diaries but there are letters published in the Terrible Trail book that were written by an aunt. I highly recommend that you follow the trail sometime. Do it in the spring or fall though before it gets too hot or there's snow. As I mentioned, we found the exact spot on the Deschutes River where they crossed, the very rock they tied the cable to. Then we traveled up the Crooked River to Wagontire Mtn., found the spring, went on to Stein's Ridge & found the old hand-hewn juniper stumps. The amazing thing is that the route doesn't look much different than it did 160+ years ago. It's a very powerful experience to see it with your own eyes.

Posted: 1 Sep 2008 9:06PM GMT
Surnames: Noble, Layton
My husband's third great grandfather, Henry J. Noble, along with his wife, Mary Ann (Layton) and six children - three boys & three girls (the youngest, Rebecca Jane, my husband's second great grandmother referred to in the Roster of Names, pg. 210, in the Terrible Trail by Keith Clark and Lowell Tiller as, "one other child, age and sex unknown") - took the Meek Cutoff on the 1845 train. Two of the boys, one age 11 and one age 18 died on the trail of fever from drinking bad water. (ref. pg. 127 The Terrible Trail book). My husband and I would like to follow the trail some day. We have researched from above Prineville (Camp Creek) to the Dalles, but have not been on the actual trail. We are very interested in learning your experience, if you would like to share with us. Nancy

Posted: 1 Sep 2008 9:14PM GMT
Correction to previous post: Rebecca Jane Noble was not the youngest Noble child on the trail. She was just listed last on the Roster. She was born in 1830, which would make her the second to the oldest.

Posted: 25 Nov 2008 5:56AM GMT
Surnames: Allen, Riggs
My wife is the ggg granddaughter of Meek Cutoff survivors James and Hannah Allen, and the gggg granddaughter of James B. Riggs. I've not traced the route, but I intend to next Spring. I've been looking into this pretty hard and I'd love to talk to you more about it. What are the three books you have on the subject?

Posted: 6 Dec 2008 11:33PM GMT
Surnames: Wallace, Herren
I would also like to know the names of the three books. My ggg grandparents were Susannah Rush Herren Wallace and William Thomas Wallace (with the infamous Blue Bucket story) and gggg grandparents John and Theodoshia (Robbins) Herren.

Posted: 7 Dec 2008 1:17AM GMT
The books are:
"The Terrible Trail: the Meek Cutoff, 1845" by Clark & Tiller
"The Brazen Overlanders of 1845" by Donna Wojcik
"Following the Lost Meek Trail in Central Oregon" by the Crook County Historical Society
also, the historical novel:
"A Heart For Any Fate" by Linda Crew - This one was written about my own family, the Kings, so of course I had to read it. :)
I see the Wallaces & the Herrens in the roster in my books.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions