Search for content in message boards

Orphanage in Andover, Illinois

Orphanage in Andover, Illinois

Posted: 26 Sep 2009 5:44PM GMT
Classification: Query
Does anyone know about an orphanage in Andover, Illinois that would have been operating during WW2? My father's younger siblings were there and all are passed away now.

Re: Orphanage in Andover, Illinois

Posted: 2 Jan 2011 5:27AM GMT
I do. And yes, there was an orphanage there from the mid-1800's til the mid to late 20th century. If memory serves i could probably tell you the exact location of where it used to be as well. Google map Andover Illinois. The orphanage was southwest of town; i believe at the corner of 900th ave north and east 600th st. I went into the last building with my dad just before it was torn down when i was a child. I'm 28 now, i was probably 8 or so then. I think the site is now a small trucking company.

Posted: 2 Jan 2011 6:26AM GMT
Thank you. I appreciate the information.
Carol

Posted: 3 May 2011 11:23PM GMT
I went to school in Orion Il in the 40's and 50's. I just found out some of my class mates lived at the orphanage in andover, well they went to school in Orion. At least some of them. Let me know if I can help. Im 73 and my class mates that are alive. ha can help also. Jean

Posted: 4 May 2011 10:02AM GMT
Dear Jean, Did you know anyone by the last name of Hinderliter who lived at the orphanage?
Carol

Posted: 2 Oct 2012 10:42PM GMT
I attended the orphange in the 50's. I am currently writing a book about my life and am trying to locate the exact time I attended the orphange. Please advise.

Posted: 3 Oct 2012 2:53AM GMT
Well,
It was my uncle who was in there for a short period of time in the 1940s. He passed away last year. There should be court records that you could access. Since the records are about you personally, there should be no problem in getting your hands on them. You will have to find out which court in the area you lived in has "orphan records". Some places even had Orphan Courts. Have you seen the information about Andover Orphange on the internet. I found quite a bit more than I thought I would.
Carol

Posted: 3 Oct 2012 9:43AM GMT
Carol thank for the additional information. I actually was from Rock Island Illinois and was sent there by my father in the 50's I beleive. I attended the school in Andover but do not remember the name of the school. At the time I was there one did not have to be an orphan. My father moved me around different places such as foster care and the orphanage to not have the responsibility of taking care of his sons. My brother was sent to a military academy of which I do not know where. He was eight years my senior. The house mother's daughter at the orphange when I was there was my teacher for spanish when I was in the Peace Corps many years later. I remember one of the boys that was there in my dorm which was bullied alot as he was smaller then I and had a deformaty which sad to say deverted the attention of me. I have mixed feelings of the orphange and this is coming out as I write my book. Any other assistance would me appreciated. Thanks

Posted: 3 Oct 2012 7:02PM GMT
I wish I could help you more. The only other thing I can think of is that you contact the local historical society as they may know where the records from the school are located. The local library may know also. I have found librarians to be very helpful. And I highly recommend that you call or email the historical society and the library rather than write a letter.
Carol

Posted: 3 Mar 2013 1:37PM GMT
I was just there yesterday, and took a few pictures. I lived there for 2 years and spent 2nd and 3rd grades there but dont know the specific years. I also took pictures of the school in Andover. I would be happy to share what information and the pictures I have.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions