Search for content in message boards

removal of one world tree ? there even after gedcom removed !

removal of one world tree ? there even after gedcom removed !

Posted: 25 Jun 2009 5:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: one world tree
So how do you actually get a family tree from oneworld tree removed.
I submitted a gedcom in 2003 .Basically i used ancestry added to my tree as i went along , didnt have a personal family tree programme at the time .
Anyway i did remove gedcom due to errors however it still remains on the one world tree .They removed the submitters name ( my user name).
This tree has been copied - more fool them as the data is wrong.Ive emailed ancestry , wrote to them in USA also Generations network - to no avail.
Ive emailed ;

customersolutions@tgn.com

Again nothing they say it cant be removed from the site .

Is there some address , some email to get to somebody who can sort this out ???????????
My point is , is it was my information submitted by me that i removed yet ancestry have still kept it.
There are major errors in it and people like us are subscribing to ancestry for it ?
Surely they must be able to remove it from thier database

Re: removal of one world tree ? there even after gedcom removed !

Posted: 26 Jun 2009 1:51PM GMT
Bruce, here is a quote I found at RootsWeb:

"If you want to be sure that your tree will be included in the new OneWorldTree service, or if for any reason you do not want your tree to be part of OneWorldTree, please click here for more information. "

also,

"Edit or Remove Family Trees Appearing In WorldConnect
[Return to top]

Family trees submitted to RootsWeb (WorldConnect) and Ancestry (Ancestry World Tree and Online Family Tree) were merged into one master database, which can be viewed from either site. You must use the tools at the original upload site to edit or remove any of the family trees appearing in the database. Click here for detailed instructions on how to modify or remove your family tree."

You may find these resources at this web page: http://helpdesk.rootsweb.com/announce.html

Posted: 26 Jun 2009 2:03PM GMT
Surnames: ONEWORLDTREE ONE WORLD TREE
Already done that ! If you read my original post - gedcom removed ! a few years ago - yet the tree which is totally full of errors remains.All ancestry have done is remove the sbmitters name ( my user name).
Ive contacted them & generations net work by mail and email - no joy .
This is the tree ;
http://trees.ancestry.com/owt/person.aspx?pid=102502534

Why cant they just remove it from the database as requested ???

Posted: 26 Jun 2009 2:20PM GMT
Bruce, try this step:
http://ancestry.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/ancestry.cfg/php/enduse...

Unfortunately, Ancestry and RootsWeb are not very responsive when it comes to requests by email or snail-mail. You best option is to get into that account and delete it (or modify it) your self.

Also, Ancestry and RootsWeb will NOT remove information claimed to be "wrong" because their policy is that individuals have a right to be wrong. Ancestry or RootsWeb will not act as "gedcom police" checking the validity of your data submitted. You can actually claim that your mom and dad are the original Adam and Eve, making you some 10,000 years old (or so). Their policy is fairly straight forward: "people have a right to be wrong".

Posted: 26 Jun 2009 4:02PM GMT
Surnames: ONE WORLD TREE
Hi ,
i agree that people have the right to be wrong.
However I uploaded a Gedcom back in 2003 that was submitted to one world tree and rootsweb. Knowing that further down the line I had made errors I removed that Gedcom.
Rootweb the tree no longer appears .However it is still on one world tree.
One World tree have kept that data .
I have wrote numerous letters also emailed.The point is the Errors have been pointed out yet they are charging people to subscribe to view these errors.
I know Ancestry are not the "Gedcom police".However they owe it to thier subscribers .People do have the right to be wrong, but ancestry have a responsibility too.
They should not keep peoples data once the Gedcom no longer exists.
It is a Geneology site and they should delete One World Tree Submissions that are incorrect when the person who submitted them asks .
I am not alone in this request.

Posted: 16 Jul 2009 4:27AM GMT
This is the reason I've chosen not to upload to Ancestry, but instead to create my own website, where I can correct and remove what I want. More trouble, I'm sure, but I like having a little control over what appears online with my name.

Donna

Posted: 16 Jul 2009 9:23AM GMT
Surnames: ONE WORLD TREE
the point is is you do put your tree on Ancestry - (which i would not Ever again) you do it and find more info as you go along .If its put into one world tree then Ancestry should give you access to remove MISTAKES from one world tree.
What ancestry have done is use other peoples work put it onto ancestry removed the name of the person who submitted it and dont give a damn the information is incorrect !
Subsiquently they are charging members for subscription and also CD's of "fairytale " trees , which is wrong !!!
Now i dont copy other peoples work but there are many data vampires out there who do .And the amount of copied info on this site is unreal .
Ancestry are making enough money to at least allow those who want to corrects thier errors to do so - why are they not letting them?

Posted: 17 Jul 2009 10:34AM GMT
Bruce, nobody here on these message Boards has an answer to your question "Why doesn't Ancestry.com remove information that isn't correct."

As previously explained, Ancestry.com DOES care if information is right or wrong, however they believe that people have a right to be wrong. And Ancestry.com respects our rights to be wrong.

For example, if you believe that Adam and Eve are your great grandparents and wish to include them in your family tree, Ancestry.com will allow you to do that.

I've already recommended that you contact WorldFamilyTree and take this issue up with THEM. Your complaint is well noted, here. However, there is nothing that anyone here on the message boards can do.

This is a Message Board, and not a Complaint Forum. So I ask that this thread cease with complaints here, and begin by sending emails to the referrals I posted in the first two posts of mine.

Posted: 1 Dec 2009 11:00PM GMT
As long as there are SUCKERS, Ancestry.com will keep and SELL to them all of the misinformation that they scan off of the internet. They told me that once on the internet, no one owns it and they can use it for whatever they want too.

Posted: 2 Dec 2009 10:23AM GMT
Surnames: Bruce
I have reported it to Ancestry by email and numerous letter.

"Ancestry.com DOES care if information is right or wrong, however they believe that people have a right to be wrong. And Ancestry.com respects our rights to be wrong."

Sorry I totally disagree Ancestry DOES NOT care .Whilst people have the right to be wrong if the actual SUBMITTER ( me) informs them to remove MY old Gedcom due to errors and they dont then I am afraid Ancestry are giving people ( paying subscribers) a damn bad service.
And I have Highlighted this on this forum as numerous letters and emails to Ancestry.com , Ancestry.co.uk , generation newtwork and all their subsiduries dont give a monky's that they are selling information that they have been infomed is incorrect to its paying subscribers
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions