Search for content in message boards

Dawson descendants

Dawson descendants

Geoff Boong (View posts)
Posted: 11 Nov 2004 8:53PM GMT
Classification: Query
Although this is the Dawson message board, you will notice that other surnames appear in this message, that is because these other surnames are connected to the Dawson’s that I am researching, this may help in the search.

If you have the following Dawson names in your family history it may help, Sam, Thomas, Kate, Nellie (Eleanor), Annie, Sam, Alfred and John. All of these were born in Yorkshire, England but 2 of them went to America in 1858 with their Uncle Benjamin Swale, I don't know which 2. All the rest went with their father William. At the same time William Dawson's mother Mary and her sister Ellen (surname unknown) went to America both were almost 70 years of age.

I know Benjamin left England in about 1858 and he took 2 children with him. These 2 children were the children of his sister Jane and her husband William Dawson, Jane and William did not go to America at the same time. Benjamin had a brother who at some time went to Milwaukee and I have got information on William. James Swale went to America but left England after 1880 and nothing is known about him so he too may have gone to Wisconsin, Iowa or Illinois. Benjamin was born in 1832 and James was born in 1838.

I am trying to find information about Benjamin and James Swale or Swales, and if possible any descendants of Benjamin and James. Benjamin is believed to have died in Beloit, Rock County but the date is unknown, it is not known whether he married or had any children.

The spelling of Swale could be Swailes or Swail and as with many surnames they became corrupted.

Members of another related Swale family also went to America and some of these went to Iowa, there were also other families who are related to those above, these were Curtis, Dewes, Foster and Dawson.

It is possible that none of the family descendants of Swale, Dewes, Curtis, Foster and Dawson who live in the States of Iowa, Wisconsin and Illinois are aware that they are related to each other. The relationship between all these families is complex and it has taken me more than 25 years to do the research.

I would like to hear from any Swale, Swales, Dewes, Curtis, Foster and Dawson’s descendants, whose ancestors were from Yorkshire, England, which is where I live.

I am also interested in State and Federal census information where these names appear, also any obituaries.

I have researched these families back to the early 1700’s and 1600’s. My Dawson research is huge as is all my research into all the families that are named in the posting.

Geoff Boon (Yorkshire, England)

Re: Dawson descendants

Posted: 16 Nov 2004 5:52PM GMT
Surnames: Dawson
Hi Geoff

You obviously have extensive Dawson research and was just wondering how you came about it. I have several Dawson's in my family, all from Leeds. but I've only managed to find info up to John Dawson (c.1865) who married Ada Quarmby.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Geoff Boon (View posts)
Posted: 17 Nov 2004 12:50PM GMT
Hi Rowan,

First, could I say that the 'g' in my name should not be there, it is a text bug.

I live in Yorkshire, England and I have been researching family history for many years. The Dawson’s are just one line of the hundreds that I research. All the surnames that I research are linked to each other in one way or another and these date back to the 1600's in a lot of cases. Some links are so distant and they are 6th and 7th cousins or more removed. My Dawson research surrounds Yorkshire and America. I live just 9 miles from Leeds, The name Dawson is and was a very common surname, and there were 7130 Dawson’s in Yorkshire in 1881. 6069 of these Dawson were born in Yorkshire and 392 of them were born in Leeds.

I don’t have a marriage of John Dawson (c.1865) who married Ada Quarmby, were they married in England?

Do you have any names of their parents?

This is interesting because this family were living in the same area where I now live; I think that the following could be Ada and her family.

Joseph Quarmby born Bradford, Yorkshire, Ellen Quarmby born Mirfield, Yorkshire, Fred Quarmby born Mirfield, Yorkshire, Ada Quarmby born Leeds, Yorkshire, Herbert Quarmby born Methley, Yorkshire and George Wm. Quarmby born Barnsley, Yorkshire.

This Ada’ birth was recorded in 1873 in Leeds, Yorkshire. The reason that I feel that this could be your Ada and her family is because the name Ada Quarmby was quite rare.

Geoff

Posted: 17 Nov 2004 12:59PM GMT
Hi Geoff

I did think it was an unusual surname!!!!

I think you're probably right about Ada's family. From what I've managed to find out her parents were indeed Joseph and Ellen.

John Dawson and Ada were married in Yorkshire, and again from what little info I have, they were married in March 1894 at St John's Church, Newton, with their first child, Fred (my g-grandfather) being born in the September of 1894!
This is where I've drawn a blank, because Dawson was/is such a common name, I've found it difficult to go any further back than John.

Regards

Rowan

Geoff Boon (View posts)
Posted: 17 Nov 2004 7:37PM GMT
Rowan,

Give me a little time and I will try and see what I have in regards to 1894. There were several John Dawson's born in about 1865, finding the right one is the problem, if I could find his marriage to Ada I could tell you where to get the marriage certificate, and this would give his father's name. Our birth, marriage and death certificates began in 1837.

Geoff

Geoff Boon (View posts)
Posted: 18 Nov 2004 10:27PM GMT
Rowan

I have not found anything yet but I will keep trying, can you give me a more exact date for John's birth, and any children that they could have had by the year 1900?

Geoff

Posted: 18 Nov 2004 11:19PM GMT
Surnames: Dawson/Quarmby
Geoff

As far as I know John would have been born c.1872 and by 1900 they would have had at least 3 children Harold, Harry and Fred. I know for definite that Fred was born 15/9/1894 (he was my g-grandfather!)

Rowan

Geoff Boon (View posts)
Posted: 19 Nov 2004 5:41PM GMT
Rowan,

There were hundreds of John Dawson’s in England who were born about the same time as your John Dawson, and these lived in many different areas of England. Obtaining John’s marriage certificate is a priority, as this will give his father’s name, hopefully not too common a Christian name. I have not been able to find a marriage for John and Ada yet, and therefore we don’t know where they were married.

I have also found several Harold’s, Harry’s and Fred’s who could have been John and Ada’s children, but again there were many that were born about the same time as your Harold, Harry and Fred.
Geoff

Posted: 19 Nov 2004 6:50PM GMT
Geoff

Thanks for all your help so far. I seem to think that John and Ada were also married in 1894 and I think its likely to have been around the St Peters area of Leeds.

Rowan

Geoff Boon (View posts)
Posted: 19 Nov 2004 8:54PM GMT
Rowan,

I have now found the marriage of John Dawson and Ada Quarmby, they were married in 1894 at St John, Newton you can obtain a marriage certificate from:

Superintendent Registrar, Leeds Register Office, Belgrave House, Belgrave Street, Leeds, West Yorkshire, LS2 8DQ. England.

I don't know where you live so here is the cost of certificates, if you live in Britain, the cost is £7.00. If you live in the U.S.A I am not sure as to how many Dollars, but the exchange rate is about $1.85 to each £1, and therefore the cost in Dollars is about $13.

When you have the certificate, and the name of John's father it will be easier to find the family. The place of residence will be given for both John and Ada, the certificate will also give the name of Ada's father.

Geoff
per page

Find a board about a specific topic