Search for content in message boards

Gay Norfolk UK 1500s

Gay Norfolk UK 1500s

Posted: 22 Dec 2009 1:22AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gay
Looking for information on Nicholas Gay born 1550c in Houghton-in-the-Hole, Norfolk UK, and his parents, etc.
I believe Nicholas left a Will in 1625.
Thanks Anne.~

Re: Gay Norfolk UK 1500s

Posted: 6 Oct 2010 3:39AM GMT
Surnames: Gay
I have ancestors going back to the following who were in the same area (Norfolk) about the same time:
William Gay c 1540
William Gay is the first of our ancestors mentioned in Burke's Landed Gentry (1952 edn), where he is described as William Gay of Matlask. Matlask is a small township north west of Aldborough, Norfolk. If his son Philip was born in 1560, I assume William was born, and living in Matlask from around 1540 or so. Or was he the first of the Gay ancestors to arrive in England?
Benjamin Clarke's British Gazetteer (1852) says under “Thurning, Norfolk”
“contains 1,650 acres (6.7 km²): 18 houses: popn. in 1841, 166: assd. propy. £1,581: poor rates in 1848, £189, 13 s. The Hall, a pleasing mansion, is the seat of James Gay, Esq., the representative of an ancient family which originally came from Normandy and were settled early in the time of Elizabeth at Matlask and Thurgarton, in which and the adjoining parishes they possessed considerable landed estates. Mr. Gay of Thurning, who is the second son of the late John Gay, Esq., settled at Thurning: and having been under-secretary of Ceylon, and commissioner for the Kandian provinces, is now a magistrate and deputy lieutenant for the county.”
did William Gay arrive in England from Normandie, prior to the 1560 birth of his son Philip?
Philip Gay 1560 – 1638
Philip Gay purchased the Estate of Aldborough in c 1600. He married Margaret Parker (daughter of Richard Parker of Aldborough)
Not sure if that helps, or just adds more questions! Richard

Posted: 6 Oct 2010 5:41AM GMT
Surnames: GAY, DE GAI
It's possible that the link between the Gay family and Normandy goes way back before the 1500s. John Gay, the poet, who was born near Barnstaple in Devon in the late 17th century, is believed to be descended from the de Gai family of Hampton Gay, Oxfordshire, who arrived in England from Normandy around the time of William the Conqueror.

Posted: 6 Oct 2010 8:59PM GMT
Thanks so much for your reply.
I wonder if your William Gay is related to my Nicholas Gay (or Gaye/de Gaye)
My Nicholas married Maria Muncye in 1574. I think he was in his early 20s.
They had 15 children.
Nicholas died in 1625.
Nicholas and his family lived in Little Walsingham, which I think is about 30 miles from Matlask.

Thanks again for your reply.
Anne.

Posted: 6 Oct 2010 9:01PM GMT
Hi.

Thanks for your reply.
I also believe that the Gay (de Gaye) family came from Normandie around William The Conquerer time. At least I think my line of the family did.
Thanks.
Anne.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions