Search for content in message boards

McDonalds in Caledonia Township

McDonalds in Caledonia Township

Posted: 25 Sep 2012 8:12PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McDonald
I am researching a McDonald family that came from Scotland 1817. They stopped in Lancaster and then Alexandria Glengarry county. John McDonald petitioned for land in Caledonia Township. They farmed the gores on the 7th and 8th concession. I have land records, township records and census' to verify the families that eventually led to my grandfather Donald James McDonald b. 11 Mar 1888. The information I have seems to indicate that the family came from Glencoe, Scotland. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Rod Jackson. Burlington, ON, Canada

Re: McDonalds in Caledonia Township

Posted: 26 Sep 2012 4:19AM GMT
I've done a little poking around re these McDonalds of the Gore. Which son of John does your Donald James descend from? Two of John's sons (Hugh Ewan and Ranald) married relations of mine. Story goes John was killed by a bull in 1843? I always wondered if John and my Lochaber M(a)cMillan family (over in 1802) new each other before emigrating?

Re: McDonalds in Caledonia Township

Posted: 10 Dec 2012 3:07PM GMT
Surnames: McDonalds
Hi James. John also had a son by the name of John McDonald b. abt 1815 according to books and census. This John McDonald married Mary Ann Campbell on 04 Jan 1848, from records of the Church of Scotland at Cornwall The Minister was Hugh Urquhart who was the minister at St. Johns but was also a curcuit rider. John and Mary had a son Roderick who was my grandfather's father. Family stories say that the McDonald family were Presbyterian when they left Scotland and then the mother and most of the children claimed Roman Catholic as their religion. Which is why Nancy is buried at St. Columba. Her father was said to have been buried near her. Church records show that McDonald had two plots at St. Columba but only Nancy has a tomb stone. Mary is probably buried at St. Alexander in Glengarry. I have followed some of the children of Ewan and Randal. The Scots of 1802 is recorded in their own book. As for the families knowing each other it is hard to say but many of the Scots in Glengarry and Prescott knew of each other.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions