Search for content in message boards

Eisdorf, Austria

Eisdorf, Austria

Deedee Frame (View posts)
Posted: 1 Dec 2001 5:45AM GMT
Classification: Query
My grandmother was born in Eisdorf, Austria. Can someone tell me where exactly this is? She came to America in the early 1890s through Ellis Island, heading for McKeesport, PA.

Where do I start to look for information on her parents?

Re: Eisdorf, Austria

Posted: 25 Jan 2010 5:19AM GMT
It's probably, Eisdorf in the Zips, Austria-Hungary. If so, check my homepage http://www.carpathiangerman.com for details.

Who was your grandmother?

Re: Eisdorf, Austria / Zakovce, Slovakia

Posted: 27 Jan 2010 4:03PM GMT
Deedee

Žakovce KK/PV spiš.
1773 Szakocz, Aysttorff, 1786 Sakocz, Eisdorf, 1808 Zsákocz, Eisdorf, Žakowce, 1863–1888 Zsákóc, 1892–1902 Izsákfalu, 1907–1913 Izsákfalva, 1920 Žakovce, Eisdorf, 1948– Žakovce {all the names this village was known by}
0ld 1910 Szepes megye, Hungary map:
http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/szepes.jpg

www.iabsi.com/gen/public for research in Slovakia

Posted: 9 Mar 2010 4:26PM GMT
Eisdorf was a little German speaking village that was evacuated by its 700 inhabitants in January 1945. It was located in what was then the Republic of Slovakia. It was first mentioned in 1209 and just celebrated its 800the anniversary. The place is now called Zakovce, the Hungarian name - as it belonged to the Austro-Hungarian Empire till 1918 - was Iszakfalva. Alle three names refer to Isaac. So Eisdorf was actually Isaac`s village. Some of the old German inhabitants and their children or grandchildren traveled to the village last year to revisit their old home. Some of the old German built houses are still there, many have disappeared.
My father was born there in 1927, and I visited the village last year. If you need any pictures etc. - do not hesitate to contact me!

Posted: 2 Oct 2011 10:47PM GMT
My family are the Eisdorfers, named for Eisdorf or Zakovce. They were Sephardic Jews expelled during the Spanish Inquisition who settled in Zakovce and were given the name by order of the King. My precise family moved on to Mukacs in Hungary and the village of Brod before immigrating to the US at the beginning of the 20th century.
Rose
per page

Find a board about a specific topic