Search for content in message boards

1909 photo of Maggie and Aunt Harriet; Perth, New Brunswick studio

1909 photo of Maggie and Aunt Harriet; Perth, New Brunswick studio

Posted: 23 Apr 2012 5:18PM GMT
Classification: Query
Could you take a look at this photo to see if you recognize these two women or can figure out their identities from their first names and relationship? Thanks.
http://heirloomsreunited.blogspot.com/2012/04/1909-photograp...

Re: 1909 photo of Maggie and Aunt Harriet; Perth, New Brunswick studio

Posted: 24 Apr 2012 2:11AM GMT
Edited: 24 Apr 2012 2:11AM GMT
These are possibly Harriet and Margaret Roberts. My reasoning is that, in the photo, one woman appears to be about age 30, the other is younger, perhaps 5-10 years. So I looked in the 1891 census of Victoria Co., NB for a Harriet b. ca. 1879. Harriet Roberts (ca. 1877) was one in Perth Parish, and she had a sister, Margaret (ca. 1888); or about 10 years younger. They were children of Charles (ca. 1843) and Janes (ca. 1853) Roberts. Charles was b. in NB but his parent were from Quebec and he was Roman Catholic. This makes me think the surname is the French, Robert, not Roberts. Jane was b. NB as were her parents. Other children were Lucy A. (19), Emily (10), Harry (8), William (6), Elisabeth (5), Charles (4) and Theresa (1.)
In Perth Parish in 1901 they are still Roberts, so my theory about their surname may be incorrect. Harriet L. Roberts was b. 8APR1877 and Maggie A. Roberts was b. 25MAY1888.
Charles and Jane Roberts are still in Perth Parish in 1911, but neither Harriet nor Maggie are with them. Maggies birth record exists, but fails to state her given names. She was b. Perth 27MAY1888 (which is pretty good agreement with the 1901 census considering) and her parents were Charles and Jane (Cyr) Roberts. So, at least Jane is Acadian. A second birth record gives Maggie as Margaret Edith Roberts. Margaret (Margarette) married Victoria Co., NB 9JUN1909 James D. McLaughlin.
Charles and Jane Roberts died in 1912 and 1913. Their death records suggest both were b. in Madawaska Co.

I don't know if any of this seems familiar, but it is one possibility.

Thomas

Posted: 24 Apr 2012 2:28AM GMT
Wow, you know what they say about assumptions... Well, I had assumed that Harriet was the Aunt of Margaret, but you have made me see that it's possible the person who wrote the names on the reverse could have been the niece or nephew by marriage of Harriet, whose younger sister Margaret just happened to be in the photograph.

Thanks for your help! Do you mind if I add your info to the blog post in case someone else happens upon the photograph?
Pam

Posted: 24 Apr 2012 3:34AM GMT
Nope, don't mind; but it is a wild guess. I just looked at Harriet's in the 1891 census in Victoria Co. and picked one I liked, so to speak; one that fit the criteria in my assumptions.

Thomas
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions