Search for content in message boards

Salem co. NJ Loyalist Family SUTTON

Salem co. NJ Loyalist Family SUTTON

Posted: 13 Jun 2006 9:51PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Sutton Abbot Mead Atkinson
Thomas Coates Sutton of Philadelphia co.PA to Glouchester co. NJ to Salem co. NJ He had sons John, Thomas, Moses,James and a possible son named Jacob, who had estates forfeited in Salem co. in 1778. Thomas Coates was indicted for treason for giving food to his son, Moses, while Moses was hiding. He spent a year in prison. Jacob was supposed killed in the battle of Monmouth in 1776. John died in 1814 in Cumberland co. NJ. Thomas died 1783 in camp of NJ Volunteers in Long Island, NY. James took his mother's maiden name PETERSON , moving to Crawford co. PA. Moses...unknown. Joseph, also a son of Thomas Coates, remained untouched by Loyalist activities, remained in Salem co. NJ. A son in law of Thomas Coates, Richard Mead, married to daughter Parnell, went to Nova Scotia in 1783, after Thomas jr. died in camp as they had been in the same company. The wives of son Thomas and James Sutton, being Mary Abbot and Elizabeth Abbot, daughters of Abdon Abbot sr. and sisters of Abdon jr. who was to be hanged for being a Loyalist,later pardoned.Other Loyalist connected by marriage was Moses Atkinson, married to another daughter of Abdon Abbot. 4 sons of Thomas and Mary used the surname of Abbot and moved to Crawford co. Pa. also. One of those sons,James Sutton, was my ancestor. Maybe this can help someone...

Re: Salem co. NJ Loyalist Family SUTTON

Posted: 14 Jun 2006 3:54AM GMT
Sorry...Thomas Coates Sutton was imprisoned for a MONTH!
Not a year as my keyboard made a mistake :-)

Dave Ladely (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jun 2006 6:45AM GMT
Surnames: Sutton, Slaght, Slecht, Slack
wondering if you might have any information on Anna Sutton, wife of Hendrick Slaght of Mercer County, NJ, who had sons who were Loyalist and the sons emigrated to Canada after the Revolution. Not sure is Hendrick was Loyalist.
thanks!! Dave in seattle email: DaveLadely@aol.com

Joann Huffstutler (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jun 2006 8:10PM GMT
Hi Dave..
I don't have any information on whether Henrick was a Loyalist...James, his son seemed to be quite prominent. Hanna/Anna seems to be from the "other" SUTTON line...from George SUTTON/ Sarah TILDEN line. Sorry I can't be more helpful!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions