Search for content in message boards

John and Elizabeth Thompson Family

John and Elizabeth Thompson Family

Posted: 14 Dec 2012 3:51AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Thompson McMillan
We are trying to find information on what happened to Elizabeth/Isabella Thompson (Isabella 1871 census and Elizabeth 1881census) after the 1881 census. She is the daughter of the subject persons and was born abt 1863 in Ontario. Her parents, John and Elizabeth, were born (depending on the census) btwn 1834-1838 and 1833-1840, respectively. The Thompson's lived in Hawkesbury East, Prescott from at least 1871 through the 1911 census. We don't know what happened to any of the other family at this point. Daughter, Elizabeth/Isabella Thompson, maybe a g-grandmother.

As some background, we have been trying for a number of years to find our g-grandmother's Thompson family without any success whatsoever in the Ontario and Quebec area. Her name was Elizabeth (Eliza) Thompson and she married Hugh John McMillan. From census records, Elizabeth was born about Nov. 1868 in Ontario. Hugh (Ewen 1881 census and Huci 1891 census) and his family (parents John and Mary Ann) lived in the Hawkesbury, Lochiel, Finch, Longueuil area of Ontario. We believe that Eliza and Hugh met there somehow. Their first child, John Richard McMillan, was born 1887 in Montreal from most records. Hugh and Eliza and their family moved to North Dakota in 1897 where Elizabeth died in 1906 from tonsillitis. Even though the above Elizabeth/Isabella Thompson was born on an earlier date than the person we are looking for, she did live in the same area as Hugh and so we are down to researching anyone that might somewhat fit the profile.

There was an Elizabeth Thompson b. Nov 1869 in West Garafraxa, Ont. to Theodore Thompson and Mary Ann McGowen but that turned out to be a false lead.

Any tidbits of information (marriage, etc.) on Elizabeth/Isabella Thompson would be greatly appreciated.
Dan Harvey
Snohomish, WA

Re: John and Elizabeth Thompson Family

Posted: 15 Dec 2012 1:02AM GMT
The John, Elizabeth and John Jr on 1911 census don't really match up with the information on 1901 census. If people get their birth years wrong they usually know their birth month. But enumerators are known to make many mistakes.

Don't know if this is of any use to you but may be a way to track Elizabeth.

I think this is the James on 1901 census.
WW1 Attestation Papers
James Stanley Thompson, PC960607, b 1 July 1897 at St Eugene Ont, farmer, next of kin: John Thompson, grandfather of RR1 St Eugene Ont. Signed up in Ottawa 6 July 1918.
No record of his being killed.

St Eugene is in Hawkesbury Tsp, Prescott County.

James Stanley Proudfoot, b 1 July 1897, mother Jane Thompson. Prescott.
Would seem he went by Thompson not Proudfoot. I didn't find anything under the Proudfoot name.

McMurray Family Tree on Ancestry.ca has your Thompsons on it.
Says John Thompson died 1901 in Frontenac County. No source given.
Marriage to Elizabeth Keller 27 Oct 1861 in Frontenac. No source given.
All the children's names are the same as on 1881 census.
Only information re chidren is for John Pauley, says he was born in Frontenac and died there as well. Nothing in his obit says who his parents were.
Your Thompsons always seemed to live in Hawkesbury.

Found this marriage
Jennie Thompson, 24, born and living St Eugene Ont, d/o John Thompson & Elizabeth MacDuff, married James Clark, 28, carter, born and living Mabel Quebec, s/o John Clark & Bella McAllister, 13 May 1903. Prescott.

Elizabeth Jane b 1876, mother of James Stanley?
She is the only Thompson I can find married in Prescott.

1911 Chatham, Argentuil Quebec
CLARK
James, March 1874, 37, Quebec
Jennie, Sept 1875 ,32, Ont
Thelma, 6 [transcribed as Helena but I think it is Thelma]
???, son, 1908, 3
Harriette, 1910, 1
Chidren all born Quebec.
Thelma Isabell Clark was born 3 March 1905, bapt 18 Dec 1913 at Dalesville Baptist Church. Parents James John Clark and Jennie Elizabeth Thompson.
Irwin James Clark b 22 Jan 1908, baptism as above.
Kenneth George Clark, b 1 Mar 1910, baptism as above.

Next door, on 1911 census, is Albert Thompson,b 1864 Ont, who may well be her brother.

John Thompson
Birth Place: St. Andrews, Quebec, Canada
Residence: East Hawkesbury
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1836
Father Name: Joseph Thompson
Mother Name: Margaret Sims
Spouse Name: Elizabeth Leduc
Spouse's Age: 29
Spouse Birth Year: abt 1835
Spouse Birth Place: East Hawkesbury
Spouse Residence: East Hawkesbury
Spouse Father Name: John McDuff
Spouse Mother Name: Isabella McColum
Marriage Date: 10 Nov 1864
Marriage County or District: Prescott

A lot of the above names fit in with their children's names- Isabella, John, Marguerite, Joseph.
If they got married in 1864 perhaps the older children aren't Elizabeth's. It doesn't say whether either one of them is single or widowed on the original registration.

Mary McKeddie
Birth Place: Chatham Prv Quebec
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1869
Father Name: John McKeddie
Mother Name: Margaret McGregor
Spouse Name: Albert Thompson
Spouse's Age: 22
Spouse Birth Year: abt 1867
Spouse Birth Place: East Hawkesbury
Spouse Father Name: John Thompson
Spouse Mother Name: Lozzie McDuff
Marriage Date: 12 Sep 1889

There was a female McMillan b 8 Sept 1888 in Prescot. This could be Catharine A on 1891 census.

I've tried every trick I know to find their marriage and baptism of son but no luck.
Sometimes on the children's birth registration it gives place and date of marriage of parents. This is in Ontario so if they had more children in North Dakota it may be worth looking for.

Posted: 15 Dec 2012 3:29AM GMT
Surnames: Thompson McMillan
Boy, excellent research. I don't know how you came up with all that info but it sure looks like most or all of it is on target.
I think the James Thompson age 3 in the 1901 census might be the son of John Jr. The elder Thompson's are just too old to have had a child that young. In the 1911 census it appears to show John Jr. as a widow (the writing is faint so hard to read).
It will take me a few reads and some more research to absorb all you have provided, but whatever I find I will post here for the record and for more consideration.
Also, we have always thought that the female McMillan b. 8 Sep 1888 is Catherine A.
Thanks so much for your help. Hopefully,all your fine research will help lead to what happened to Elizabeth/Isabella Thompson.
Dan

Posted: 15 Dec 2012 5:49AM GMT
I think the James Thompson on 1901 census is James Stanley Proudfoot Thompson, son of Jane/Jennie Thompson.

Posted: 15 Dec 2012 6:15PM GMT
I think I might have found out what happened to the Elizabeth/Isabella Thompson that I was searching for. A clue from the research above, especially the marriage record of John Thompson and Elizabeth McDuf/Leduc, lead me to what appears to be her death record.
From LDS FamilySearch - Ohio Deaths 1908-1953, I found the death record for Isabella Keir (wd) who d. 24 Mar 1938 in Lucas, Ohio. The record shows:
birth: 7 Jun 1862, St. Eugene, Ont., Canada
father: Leduc
mother: Elizabeth Mcduf
spouse: Thomas A. Keir

So, it looks like Isabella/Elizabeth is the wrong Elizabeth Thompson I have been looking for.
If anyone sees this differently, please let me know.
Dan Harvey

Posted: 15 Dec 2012 6:18PM GMT
P.S. I also found a ref in Ancestry.ca, Ontario Marriages 1801-1928, of a marriage between Elizabeth McDuff and Honory Laduc. I don't have a subscription to Ancestry, so I don't know the full detail of the record.
Dan

Posted: 15 Dec 2012 8:27PM GMT
Thomas Alexander Young Keir
Spouse Name: Isabelle Leduke
Marriage Date: 7 Oct 1885
Marriage Location: East Hawkesbury Township
Delay Year: 1886
Registration number: 34654

Longer version
Thos Alex Young Keir, aged 24, b English River,living Montreal, farmer, s/o James & Mary Keir married Isabelle Leduke, 23, born and living East Hawkesbury, single, d/o Henry and Elizth Leduke, witn: Robert James Keir of Huntingdon and Archd Mcduff of East Hawkesbury, 7 Oct 1885.

So Isabelle was a LeDuke not a Thompson.
SOrry that this messes up your research. Back to the drawing board.

Posted: 15 Dec 2012 8:29PM GMT
Elizabeth McDuff
Birth Place: East Hawkesbury
Residence: Point Fortune, Quebec, Canada
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1836
Father Name: John McDuff
Mother Name: Elisabeth McDuff
Spouse Name: Honory Laduc
Spouse's Age: 28
Spouse Birth Year: abt 1832
Spouse Birth Place: Rigaud Quebec Canada
Spouse Residence: East Hawkesbury
Spouse Father Name: Belomi Laduc
Spouse Mother Name: Margaret Leroy
Marriage Date: 4 Aug 1860
Marriage Location: East Hawkesbury

Posted: 15 Dec 2012 10:55PM GMT
You have really been a great help. Without the info you found, I would probably be looking for another week or longer.
There is another Elizabeth Thompson in the Glengarry area (father Benjamin Thompson b. abt 1801) that is older but I plan to put a message on the Glengarry board and research her also. Since she lived in the same area as Hugh McMillan, maybe there is a remote chance that she might be the one.
Thanks again for all your help,
Dan
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions