Search for content in message boards

Looking for Johnston, NC Coats family author, C.S. Coats

Looking for Johnston, NC Coats family author, C.S. Coats

Janet Schock-Maxfield (View posts)
Posted: 11 Oct 2001 9:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm wondering if the author of, "History of the Coats and Related Families", C. Stanton Coats, is still alive. His book addressed the Johnston county, North Carolina Coats family and was published in 1982. His address as listed in the book was C. S. Coats Rt. 1, Box 394 Smithfield, NC 27577. I would like to correspond with him via E-mail if possible. Please contact me with any info. Thanks Janet at cooper@yornet.com

Re: Looking for Johnston, NC Coats family author, C.S. Coats

Janet Schock-Maxfield (View posts)
Posted: 15 Oct 2001 10:37PM GMT
I must thank the many who have e-mailed me with info concerning this query. Here are excerpts of info I've received to date concerning this matter:

S. Mendenhall of Fayetteville was sweet to offer a lookup as she has owns a copy of the Coats book and is related to Emily Catherine Coats Johnson's line thru her daughter Eliza Ann Johnson who married James Marion Parrish. She wrote, "Mr Coats has been dead many many years. His daughter Judy lives in Smithfield though and if you contact the Johnston Co. Heritage Center's Director Todd Johnson, he can put you in touch with her."

A semi-professional, Joel M. of Raleigh,found that Columbus Stanton Coats born 23 Sep 1905 died 28 Dec 1988 resident of Smithfield,Johnston,NC.

Mark Valsame also of Raleigh concurred that Mr. Coats died in 1988 following many years of declining health. Mark continues: Copies of his book were for sale at one time at the Johnston County Heritage Center, but have sold out. Todd Johnson is the curator of the Johnston County Heritage Center in Smithfield. They are one of the best county facilities for local history and genealogy in the state of North Carolina. Their web address is: http://204.168.68.180/mainpage.cfm?category_level_id=436 Mark is a descendant of Alvin Coats son of William and Sarah (Stephenson) Coats and in my estimation is quite an impressive researcher.

I am really impressed with the level of knowledge and interest that the descendants of the Johnston County, NC families have for their ancestors. They really show how much they care for those who have come before.

Posted: 19 Feb 2002 5:50PM GMT
Edited: 11 Sep 2003 1:52PM GMT
I wonder if S. Mendenhall or anyone else who has a copy of the History of the Coats and Related Families book would look up something for me. According to the Family History Library Catalog notes, this book mentions several Coates families that came to the Virginia colony between 1664-1668. Unfortunately, the book is not available on film. I'd like to know the names of the heads of those Coates families. I have traced my Coates line back to a Samuel Coates who appears on the rent rolls in Essex County, VA in 1704. I am curious about whether he was the original immigrant. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Nancy Kiser

Posted: 4 Apr 2013 12:11PM GMT
Edited: 4 Apr 2013 12:11PM GMT
If anyone is looking for CS Coats's Coats Family History Book you can contact me.
Julian Blankinship
sercuerdas@yahoo.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions