Search for content in message boards

Thomas BULLAS - strikes pre 1900 in the black country

Thomas BULLAS - strikes pre 1900 in the black country

Posted: 22 Aug 2011 7:02AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 Aug 2011 12:23PM GMT
Surnames: Bullas, Bowman
My Grandfather Thomas Bullas B. 1863 and married to Emma Bowman, up rooted his entire family and moved them from Dudley in 1900 to Chesterfield following a strike (or strikes) He was a miner in Chesterfield so could have been miners strike(s) He came form a long line of 'Nail Makers'.

I would love to know more about their life before they came to Chesterfield and from anyone who is descendents of his siblings.
Can anyone tell me about the strike (s)?

Re: Thomas BULLAS - strikes pre 1900 in the black country

Posted: 9 Sep 2011 5:42AM GMT
Classification: Census
Edited: 9 Sep 2011 12:48PM GMT
1891 St. James ~Terrace ,Dudley
Thomas Bullas age 27 coal miner
Emma age 28
Eliza 5
Walter 4
Alice 2.

1881 with parents ~James and Susannah in Dudley occupation Horse nail maker.

Posted: 9 Sep 2011 7:01AM GMT
Thank you for your reply.
I have the census s. But would love to know more about the strike/s that bought him and his family to Chesterfield.
So can assume that it was a Miner's Stike!

Posted: 21 Sep 2011 1:52PM GMT
Hi, nail making and mining were two major industries in Dudley (particularly in Netherton, within Dudley Borough) during the 1800s. There were apparently Nail Makers strikes around the 1840s and 1850s, I think due to increased mechanisation and the subsequent loss of jobs. It makes sense that your Grandfather would have been employed in mining, being one of the other major industries in the area, and as (I think!) there would have been few nail making jobs left in Dudley by 1900. Maybe mining in Chesterfield was similar to mining in Dudley! I'd suggest searching for 'Netherton, West Midlands' in good old Wikipedia, and under 'industry' it should give you a very brief outline of when the strikes were etc. I think it also says that the last nails to be made by hand in the area were for horse-shoes.

I hope this helps, good luck with your research.

Posted: 21 Sep 2011 3:04PM GMT
Surnames: BULLAS
Many thanks for the information I will be looking up the websites.
Regards Dena Fanshawe

Posted: 21 Sep 2011 3:42PM GMT
Another quick thought.... if you search for 'Black Country nail making' on an internet search engine it should come up with plenty of information about the industry - I recall an informative site from Sedgley, and local history sites for Cradley Heath may also be useful - Cradley is next door to Netherton, and is famous for chain making in particular. I seem to remember reading that many nail makers went into the chain making industry, so hopefully there may be some useful information for you there somewhere!

Best Wishes.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions