Search for content in message boards

John Henry Mitchell Half Cherokee Indian

John Henry Mitchell Half Cherokee Indian

Posted: 28 Jul 2000 11:47AM GMT
Edited: 17 Apr 2004 3:52AM GMT
Looking for my great grandfather John Henry Mitchell born about 1845 in Polk Co., MO. Married Mary Jane Kirk. He was half Cherokee and performed in Buffalo Bill's "Wild West" show. Have looked a long time for info on parents and family. Please help.

MITCHELL/CHEROKEE

Posted: 25 Feb 2001 1:09PM GMT
Edited: 26 Jan 2003 8:51AM GMT
COULD MY GGRANDFATHER, WILLIAM EDWARD MITCHELL, BE RELATED? HE MARRIED MARTHA CATHERINE KIRK. HE WAS BORN IN 1876. OUR FAMILY TELLS US THAT WE HAVE CHEROKEE BLOOD.
WE ARE IN WEST VIRGINIA. THANKS!

WILLIAM EDWARD MITCHELL

Posted: 25 Feb 2001 9:04PM GMT
Edited: 17 Apr 2004 3:52AM GMT
Diana,
So good to hear from you, but I'm afraid I'm not going to be of much help to you. I just don't know enough about this family to be able to place your William. I don't know the siblings or the parents of my John Henry Mitchell at this time. Sorry, All I know about him is his descendants in my line. Wish I could do more, but possibly later on down the line I might be able to help. Good luck to you......
Dottie

WILLIAM EDWARD MITCHELL

Posted: 25 Feb 2001 10:37PM GMT
Edited: 26 Jan 2003 8:51AM GMT
THANK YOU FOR SUCH A QUICK RESPONSE! IF I FIND OUT ANYTHING ON THIS END, I'LL BE SURE TO LET YOU KNOW.

Re: MITCHELL/CHEROKEE

Posted: 21 Dec 2011 11:20PM GMT
Classification: Query
I believe you are looking for the same information as I am. I may be a cousin requesting same information. This would be on my grandmothers side. She was a Clay. And from West Virginia.

Re: John Henry Mitchell Half Cherokee Indian

Posted: 19 Mar 2012 3:51PM GMT
Also looking for the Cherokee connection on my family as well, only the Mitchell I'm researching is John Franklin Mitchell born in Opp, Alabama in 1886. If I come up with a link to John Henry I'll let you know.

Posted: 15 Apr 2012 4:33PM GMT
Surnames: Mitchell, Boyette, Holcomb
Hi, I am looking for my great-grandmother, Hettie Mitchell, b. abt 1858 in Butler Co, Al. Died around Nov. 1897 in Alabama. Family stories say she was part Cherokee and at her death (believe to be at birth or shortly after of her eighth child) she was buried in full indian dress. She married Jesse E. Boyette of Covington Co., Al abt 1876-77 as my grandmother, Ella Boyette, was born in April, 1878 in Greenville, Butler Co., Al, but was raised in Covington Co. where Jesse's family lived.

By 1900 Jesse Boyette and the 8 children were living in north Florida. He was listed as widowed in census records.

My grandmother, Ella, named her first son, Robert Franklin Holcomb. I knew where the Robert came from but not the Franklin. Could we have a connection?? I have more info on possiblities of connections. Thanks, June.

Posted: 15 Apr 2012 10:07PM GMT
John Franklin Mitchell was born in Opp in 1886 and died in Covington Co in 1919. He was married to Annie Jane Lundy, b 1891-d1996. She was from Florida. His parents were Isaiah Tobe Mitchell and Sara Chessor. Any of these names ring a bell? Also, have you been able to find if there was any tribal registry?

Posted: 18 Apr 2012 1:58PM GMT
No, I have not found a tribal registry for my Hettie Mitchell. Family stories say she was the dau of an important Cherokee man but no names did I ever recall hearing. Also that she was called Black Dutch, but noone could tell me why at the time. I also found the following:

1860 census - Covington Co, Ala

#842 - Emily Mitchel - widow - 47 - Ga
(ch) Jonathan Mitchel - 24 m - Ala
Elias A. Mitchel - 20 m - Ala
Tabitha C. Mitchel - 19 f - Ala
Annamas Mitchel - 14 m - Ala
Hetta J. Mitchel - 1 f - Ala (** This could possibly be a granddaughter of Emily's, due to her age)

**And could be my Hettie Mitchell, b. abt 1858 Ala. according to 1880 census of Covington Co., Ala. I got her maiden name from my grandmothers (Ella Boyette) social security application.

Could Annie Jane Lundy possibly have remarried after the death of John F. Mitchell as the youngest dau, Martha Boyette Goff (John Goff) had medical issues and Annie Grubbs (W.T. Grubbs) living in north Florida admitted Martha to a hospital and possibly took care of her children. That is all I know at this time. Any of this familiar to you??

Posted: 21 Apr 2012 5:34AM GMT
Sorry June, but I don't have any of your names in my file. I will keep you in mind if I come across your family in my research. Please keep me in mind too if you find that we do connect. Thanks for the contact, and I wish you much success in your hunt.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic