Search for content in message boards

Wiley family Alabama

Wiley family Alabama

Posted: 29 Jan 2009 4:13PM GMT
Classification: Query
Looking for information on the family of Edney Wiley (b.~1800 NC d. between 1860-1870 AL) and Delilah unk. (b. ~1815 TN or NC, d. after 1880 AL). They resided in Franklin/Colbert Co. AL area. They had the following children:
Hugh b.~1831,
Finch b.~1833,
Susan b.~1837,
Mary b.~1839 AL,
Elizabeth "Bettie" b.~1842 AL, married John Edwin Potts,
John AL,
William AL,
Jane b.~1854 AL,
Sarah A. b.~1856 AL.

Edney's family may have come from Lawrence and/or Wayne Co. TN, and before that Guilford Co.,NC. His parents may have been William Wiley and Lydde Finley of Guilford Co., NC. Looking for any information about Edney Wiley's parentage, siblings, and all children. Thanks!
Mary

Re: Wiley family Alabama

Posted: 3 Oct 2009 12:27AM GMT
Surnames: Wiley, Findley
Edney was the son of William & Lydia (Findley) Wiley of Lawrence Co, TN. He is mentioned in the will of William Wiley which is found in the Lawrence Co, TN archives.

Posted: 3 Oct 2009 2:08PM GMT
Thank you so much! I am assuming that you must have a connection to this family? And that you have a copy of this will? Would you be willing to post the content of the will? I would appreciate it so much if you could!
Thanks again!
Mary

Posted: 31 Dec 2009 3:56PM GMT
Surnames: Wiley, Morrow
Mary,

So sorry to take so long to respond. I do not have a copy of his will, however I do have a copy of a deed which confirms the relationship. William's daughter, Mary married Thomas Morrow of Wayne Co, TN and this is my line.

The deed is as follows:
Lawrence County, TN County Court Minutes - 'To the County Court of Lawrence County sitting at Lawrenceburg for the County of Lawrence on the first Monday in October 1860. The petition of Edney Wiley a citizen of Franklin County, Alabama, Alfred D. Wiley and Abner F. Wiley citizens of Lawrence County Tennessee, Elizabeth Hollis a citizen of Wayne County Tennessee, Harrison Holland and his wife Isabella Holland, citizens of the county of Lauderdale state of Alabama, Mary Morrow a citizen of Wayne in said state against J.C. Wiley, and William Wiley, Jane Wiley, Gemima Wiley and Lydia Wiley, all citizens of the County of Wayne and State of Tennessee, and the last four of whom are minors under the age of twenty one years and have a guardian John Wiley duly appointed by the County Court of Wayne County, the said J.C. Wiley being of full age. Your petitioners would respectfully state and show that in June 1847, the father of your petitioners William Wiley died in said County of Lawrence and leaving him surviving his widow Lydia Wiley, and seized and possessed of three tract of land lying and being in Lawrence County on the waters of Shoal Creek, one of said tracts containing 55 acres, and conveyed to said William Wiley by deed which said deed and the original grant are herewith filed marked Exhibits 1 & 2, and made a part of this petition, one other tract containing 51 acres conveyed by deed, which said deed is herewith filed marked Exhibit No. 3, and the other tract containing 52 acres, and granted to said William Wiley by Grant No. 19,462, which is herewith filed marked Exhibit No. 4 as a part of this petition & making together 158 acres of land. Your petitioners further state that the said Lydia Wiley their mother resided on said land until her death, in February 1860. And after her death in February 1860 N.M. Hollis administered upon the estate of said William Wiley & Lydia Wiley, and has in his hand more assets than will be necessary to pay off and discharge all the debts against said estates. Your petitioners further state that said lands are so situated that they cannot be divided in the manner pointed out by law, without manifest injury to the owners thereof, that the same is now held by your petitioners and said defendants as tenants in common, each of your petitioners being entitled to 1/7 of said land and said J.C. Wiley and said four minors being entitled to 1/7 of the same as the children Thomas Wiley, deceased, one of the children of said William Wiley deceased, that to divide said land in to 7 parts would be manifestly to the injury to the tenants in common and that it would be to the interest of owners to sell said land and divide the proceeds of said land. The premises considered your petitioners pray that said J.C., William, Jane, Gemima, and Lydia Wiley, who reside in said County of Wayne be made parties defendants to this petition and for a copy and subpoena to appear and upon final hearing that by a decree of this court that said 158 acres of land be sold on a credit of 12 months, and that the proceeds of said sale be divided between the heirs at law and distributees of said William Wiley deceased and such other and further relief as the nature of this ? may require, and as in duty bound will every pray. Lee M. Bentley, Solicitor
NOTE: Though the petition states that William died in 1847, it is clearly evident that the date was more likely 1857. There are several facts which support this statement. 1. William appears on the 1850 census; 2. The estate of William Wiley would have been fully settled by the year 1860 and it is clearly evident that was not the case.

Posted: 31 Dec 2009 3:57PM GMT
I said deed but it is actually a court record!

Posted: 31 Dec 2009 3:58PM GMT
Surnames: Wiley, Morrow
Mary,

So sorry to take so long to respond. I do not have a copy of his will, however I do have a copy of a court record which confirms the relationship. William's daughter, Mary married Thomas Morrow of Wayne Co, TN and this is my line.

The court record is as follows:
Lawrence County, TN County Court Minutes - 'To the County Court of Lawrence County sitting at Lawrenceburg for the County of Lawrence on the first Monday in October 1860. The petition of Edney Wiley a citizen of Franklin County, Alabama, Alfred D. Wiley and Abner F. Wiley citizens of Lawrence County Tennessee, Elizabeth Hollis a citizen of Wayne County Tennessee, Harrison Holland and his wife Isabella Holland, citizens of the county of Lauderdale state of Alabama, Mary Morrow a citizen of Wayne in said state against J.C. Wiley, and William Wiley, Jane Wiley, Gemima Wiley and Lydia Wiley, all citizens of the County of Wayne and State of Tennessee, and the last four of whom are minors under the age of twenty one years and have a guardian John Wiley duly appointed by the County Court of Wayne County, the said J.C. Wiley being of full age. Your petitioners would respectfully state and show that in June 1847, the father of your petitioners William Wiley died in said County of Lawrence and leaving him surviving his widow Lydia Wiley, and seized and possessed of three tract of land lying and being in Lawrence County on the waters of Shoal Creek, one of said tracts containing 55 acres, and conveyed to said William Wiley by deed which said deed and the original grant are herewith filed marked Exhibits 1 & 2, and made a part of this petition, one other tract containing 51 acres conveyed by deed, which said deed is herewith filed marked Exhibit No. 3, and the other tract containing 52 acres, and granted to said William Wiley by Grant No. 19,462, which is herewith filed marked Exhibit No. 4 as a part of this petition & making together 158 acres of land. Your petitioners further state that the said Lydia Wiley their mother resided on said land until her death, in February 1860. And after her death in February 1860 N.M. Hollis administered upon the estate of said William Wiley & Lydia Wiley, and has in his hand more assets than will be necessary to pay off and discharge all the debts against said estates. Your petitioners further state that said lands are so situated that they cannot be divided in the manner pointed out by law, without manifest injury to the owners thereof, that the same is now held by your petitioners and said defendants as tenants in common, each of your petitioners being entitled to 1/7 of said land and said J.C. Wiley and said four minors being entitled to 1/7 of the same as the children Thomas Wiley, deceased, one of the children of said William Wiley deceased, that to divide said land in to 7 parts would be manifestly to the injury to the tenants in common and that it would be to the interest of owners to sell said land and divide the proceeds of said land. The premises considered your petitioners pray that said J.C., William, Jane, Gemima, and Lydia Wiley, who reside in said County of Wayne be made parties defendants to this petition and for a copy and subpoena to appear and upon final hearing that by a decree of this court that said 158 acres of land be sold on a credit of 12 months, and that the proceeds of said sale be divided between the heirs at law and distributees of said William Wiley deceased and such other and further relief as the nature of this ? may require, and as in duty bound will every pray. Lee M. Bentley, Solicitor
NOTE: Though the petition states that William died in 1847, it is clearly evident that the date was more likely 1857. There are several facts which support this statement. 1. William appears on the 1850 census; 2. The estate of William Wiley would have been fully settled by the year 1860 and it is clearly evident that was not the case.

Posted: 4 Jan 2010 3:57PM GMT
Thanks so much for posting this record. Down in NW Alabama, we lost a lot of records due to courthouse fires, so this record is probably the only one I'll find on Edney.

I would be happy to share what I have on William and Lydia's family, and my line, and would love to see what you've got on Mary Wiley - I didn't have her husband so this was also of interest to me. And, have you been able to trace William Wiley's line, or Lydia Findley's line back in time? I do not have either of their parents.

Thanks again for replying. What a great New Year's gift!
My email is mohawkrivergirl at yahoo, if you'd like to email me directly.

Your cousin,
Mary

Posted: 18 Jan 2010 12:21AM GMT
I would love to know what you have on William and Lydia Wiley. I have not uncovered their parents yet, though I suspect Lydia may be the daughter of John Findley (Finley).

Do you know where Edney and his wife were married? And do you have Edney's wife's maiden name or where they were married?

Thanks!!
Vicky

Posted: 22 Jan 2010 3:38PM GMT
I have not yet determined who the parents of William Wiley and Lydia Findley were.

I have not found a marriage record for Edney in TN or AL. The area (on both sides of the AL/TN border) seems to have had a lot of courthouse fires.
I have not found a maiden name for Delilah, just a middle initial of "F." on some censuses. Aside from the 1850 census which lists her POB as NC, all the other censuses state TN, including the 1880 which has her parents also born in TN. She died sometime after the 1880 census; no grave found.

EMail me directly and I can send you what I have on William and Lydia: mohawkrivergirl at yahoo.

Mary
per page

Find a board about a specific topic