Search for content in message boards

Penitentiary Records

Posted: 28 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 Dec 2002 7:08PM GMT
Surnames: Ulrich, Hart, Desmond, Wenzel
I am searching for the prison records of my great-aunt, Nettie (Wenzel) Ulrich/Ulrick who was sentenced to the Iowa State Womens Penitentiary in May/June 1928 for the homicide of her husband, Fred Ulrich. Term of confinement was 8 years. She was sentenced by a local court in Sioux City.
Similarly looking for the prison records of my aunt, Rosella (Desmond)Hart who was confined to the Womens Reformatory in Rockwell City, Iowa about 1936. I have no idea as to the reason for confinement or date of entry or release. I do know that she was in Sioux City, Iowa by 1940.
Letters to the existing prison facilities and authorities indicate that they have no idea where the records for this period might be in the case of either woman.
Data needed to complete our family history.
Does anyone have any idea where I should look next?

Re: Penitentiary Records

Posted: 7 Feb 2003 5:59PM GMT
Surnames: Desmond, Wenzel
Hello

I am doing family research and a Rosella Desmond, daughter of Leo Paul Desmond and Emma Wenzel was born in Sioux City, Iowa, Feb 20, 1920. So if same person she would have been about 16 when in Women's Reformatory. I can't help you anymore than that other than she must have remarried since I know her married name as Walker.

Re: Penitentiary Records

Patrick Montgomery (View posts)
Posted: 7 Feb 2003 6:04PM GMT
Thank you Art. That much information I've learned since drafting my original email. Were you by chance researching someone related to Rosella or her parents, Emma Wenzel and Leo Desmond?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions