Search for content in message boards

Three DAVENPORT Wills

Three DAVENPORT Wills

Posted: 21 Oct 2006 2:52PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have 3 DAVENPORT Wills and most of the names are connected in each. I just can’t get the next generation back.

1. Will, written 14 Dec 1784, proved 20 Jan 1785: Benjamin DAVENPORT of Little Bolton in the County of Lancaster, Yeoman. All his leasehold estate and household furniture etc In Trust to Executors Joseph MCKEAND of Great Bolton Tallow Chandler, and James BEST the Younger of Great Bolton Grocer, their Executors, administrators and assignees to and for the following uses, Namely to be divided amongst his Eleven Nephews and Nieces;
Mary WOOD, Rebecca MANGNALL, Henry DAVENPORT, John DAVENPORT, Thomas DAVENPORT, Benjamin DAVENPORT, James DAVENPORT, Thomas DAVENPORT, Mary BOLTON, Elizabeth DAVENPORT, Benjamin DAVENPORT, share and share alike.
Witnesses to the Will: William Crompton, William Moss, James Herridge.

2. Admon 1793 Consistory Court at Chester: for Henry DAVENPORT late of Bury in the County of Lancaster, and Diocese of Chester, Calico Printer, deceased. (His widow’s name, Betty Davenport, probably christened Elizabeth. She renounced in writing the Letters of Administration of the Deceased). Administrators appointed: Thomas DAVENPORT of Bury Print Cutter, Edmund BOLTON of Little Bolton Reedmaker, and Thomas DAVENPORT of Bolton le Moors Reedmaker.
Final account of their administration to be made to the Consistory Court on 11 Jul 1794.

Note: Thomas DAVENPORT of Bury and Henry DAVENPORT late of Bury were brothers and both were beneficiaries in Will 1 of Benjamin DAVENPORT Yeoman 1785.

3. Will, written 4 Sep 1801, proved 25 May 1802: Thomas DAVENPORT, Gentleman, of Great Bolton, Lancashire. His Executors Joseph MCKEAND, shopkeeper of Great Bolton and Richard MARSDEN of Great Bolton, Manufacturer of Cotton goods, were instructed to cash up his estate within 2 years of his death and disperse to his beneficiaries:
A sum of money each to Nephews or Nieces; Thomas DAVENPORT, reed maker, Edmund BOLTON or his wife Mary, James HEYS or his wife Betty, James WOOD or his wife Mary, John AINSWORTH, son of his late niece Ellen AINSWORTH at the age of twenty-two, Richard AINSWORTH, son of his late niece Ellen AINSWORTH at the age of twenty-two, and a sum of money to the three children of his late nephew Henry DAVENPORT when they reached age twenty-two. One-fifth shares of the remainder of his property with interest to; John DAVENPORT of Birkacker, the widow (unnamed) of the late Thomas DAVENPORT of Bury, James DAVENPORT near Haslingden and James MANGNALL of Bolton, dyer.
The final one-fifth to be shared among the children of John DAVENPORT of Birkacker, the children of Thomas DAVENPORT, late of Bury, the children of James DAVENPORT near Haslingden, the children of his late niece Rebecca MANGNALL (legitimate & illegitimate), and his nephew Benjamin DAVENPORT, now or late of London.

Again the same names are in Will 3.
If you are connected to any of the names mentioned PLEASE email me.
Finola

Re: Three DAVENPORT Wills

Posted: 30 Dec 2013 7:30PM GMT
Re Will, written 14 Dec 1784, proved 20 Jan 1785: Benjamin DAVENPORT of Little Bolton in the County of Lancaster, Yeoman. One of the beneficiaries, John Davenport, is my 4th Great Grandfather. He was born on 16 December 1787 in Coppull in Lancashire, died on 27 October 1855. He married Sarah (no date or maiden name).
Henry Davenport, John’s brother and my 4th great grand uncle, was born on 22 November 1789 in Chorley Lancashire, died 8 November 1860. He married Ellen.
I know that John and Henry’s parents were John Davenport (1755-1840) and Betty Waterhouse (1765 – 1842). I can’t get any further back on the Davenport side but I’ve got Betty’s parents, David Waterhouse (born 1738) and Elizabeth Crook (born 1730).

Alison

Re: Three DAVENPORT Wills

Posted: 31 Dec 2013 2:07AM GMT
Thanks for your message.
The beneficiary of Benjamin's will proved 20 Jan 1785 was John Davenport (b. 1755) who was the father of your John (b. 16 Dec 1787) and my ancestor Henry (b. 27 Oct 1789, chr. 22 Nov 1789). Neither John jr nor Henry were born when Benjamin died.
I have a family tree on Rootsweb called - Descendants of John Davenport (c1755-1804). John Davenport and Elizabeth Waterhouse and their 11 children were professionally researched in Lancashire by an agent, using all available records, and further research has been done in the archives by family members, so I am pretty confident that it is accurate.
At this point I believe that Elizabeth's parents were David Waterhouse and Elizabeth Greenwood, who married on 16 Nov 1745 in Yorkshire. But as I have not personally researched this I am happy for it to be proved different as I need the family tree to be accurate.

Your John Davenport (b.1787) married Alice Turner in St Wilfird's Church, Standish. A witness was his brother Waterhouse Davenport.

Marriage: 3 Nov 1823 St Wilfrids, Standish, Lancashire
John Davenport - of This Parish
Alice Turner - (X), of This Parish
Witness: Daniel Mellor; Waterhouse Davenport
Married by Banns by: George Whitlock, Asst. Curate
Marriages 1813 - 1825, Page 171, Entry 513; LDS Film 1526141

John's occupation was Calico Printer. Besides being a witness at family weddings, he was a witness at other marriages at St Wilfrid's Church, Standish, including: James Turner 31/12/1811, Edward Hindle 23/06/1816 [brother-in-law of his brother, David], Daniel Mellor 20/05/1816 and William Mellor 26/11/1821.
John and Alice had 9 children, 1 before marriage and 8 after).

1841 Census: Scholes Bank, Horwich:
John Davenport 50 Printer Y; Alice Davenport 40 Y; Waterhouse Davenport 15 Printer Y; Betty Davenport 10 Y; John Davenport 10 Y; Alice Davenport 7 Y; Mary Davenport 5 Y; Thomas Davenport 3.

Inscription from a Davenport headstone at Lee Lane Chapel, Horwich
In memory of WILLIAM son of JOHN and ALICE DAVENPORT born Aug 4th 1841 died Nov 6th 1845. Also of JOHN DAVENPORT who departed this life Oct 27th 1855 aged 68 years. Also the above ALICE DAVENPORT who departed this life Dec 1st 1883 aged 83 years. Also BENJAMIN son of the above JOHN and ALICE DAVENPORT who died Oct 7th 1893 aged 49 years.

Henry Davenport (b.1789) married Ellen German on 14 Sep 1812 in St Wilfrid's, Standish. A witness was his brother John. They had 10 children (1 before marriage and 9 after), including my great great grandfather, David Davenport (b.1814).

Marriage: 14 Sep 1812 St Wilfrids, Standish, Lancashire
Henry Davenport - of This Parish
Ellen German - (X), of The said Parish
Witness: John Davenport; William Darbyshire
Married by Banns by: John Airey, Asst. Curate
Marriages 1792 - 1812, Page 246, Entry 737; LDS Film 1526141

Finola
per page

Find a board about a specific topic