Search for content in message boards

Rebecca Boyd, born County Antrim, Ireland, 1716

Rebecca Boyd, born County Antrim, Ireland, 1716

Posted: 25 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 12 Aug 2011 6:39AM GMT
Surnames: Boyd, McKaughan
Looking for the parent's of a Rebecca Boyd who was born in County Antrim, Ireland, in 1716. She was an only child. She married Archibald McKaughan, in Ireland. (Of which her parent's did't like at all.)

Re: Rebecca Boyd, born County Antrim, Ireland, 1716

Posted: 28 Aug 2002 1:48PM GMT
Edited: 12 Aug 2011 6:40AM GMT
Surnames: Boyd, McCain, McCaughan
a tiny clue for you. McCaughan is an anglicised for of the name Mac Catháin. The descendants of the Dunseverick Ó Catháin family settled around Ballinlea/Ballintoy post 1657. When their name became anglicised, several groups used the spelling McCaughan. The reason was the family was not popular within certain elements of northern Irish society, because they had bee very active in the Wars of the 1640s and 1650s. Most anglicised their name as Kane, or Cain, etc., I know the sons of Giolla Dubh óg Ó Catháin use the McCaughan spelling though. It is there in the land records. The McCaughan family were on the opposite side of the battle lines in the 1640s. Some families still resented this.

Posted: 11 Aug 2011 9:03PM GMT
Edited: 12 Aug 2011 6:40AM GMT
Surnames: Boyd, Chambers
In case you are still looking:
Parents of Rebecca Boyd:
Father: Alexander Boyd b 1675 Glass Island, Antrim, Ireland d After 1711 Antrim, Ireland
Mother: Rebecca Chambers b 1690 d After 1711

Posted: 2 Dec 2013 3:07PM GMT
Surnames: Boyd, McKaughan, Brooks
Hello. I'm a descendant of Rebecca Boyd McKaughan. My g-g-grandfather, Joab Brooks, gave sworn testimony in 1874 to her origins. (She was his g-grandmother.)

Do you have official birth records for Rebecca? Or do you know anything specific about her father and her heritage other than what is available on Ancestry?

I see that you have death dates for Rebecca's parents of "after 1711," which apparently indicates a birth date for Rebecca of 1711. Do you have documentation of this?

Thanks much. Linda Brooks Davis
per page

Find a board about a specific topic