Search for content in message boards

David Butler Family, Culpeper Co., VA

David Butler Family, Culpeper Co., VA

Butler Family (View posts)
Posted: 1 Jan 2001 12:46PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 3 Nov 2009 11:52PM GMT
Looking for any information on Butler family in Culpeper COunty, VA. David Butler (born 1805) left in 1821 and settled in Dekalb County, IN. Would like to find information on David's heritage.

David Butler of Culpeper, VA

Jon M. Stallard (View posts)
Posted: 7 Jan 2001 11:56AM GMT
Howdy,
I have a David Butler born in Culpeper around the time yours was. he was the son of Joshua and Frances Butler. I have the lineage from Joshua back if you're interested.

William Butler - Culpepper Co.

Posted: 7 Apr 2001 8:21AM GMT
Edited: 3 Nov 2009 11:54PM GMT
I have a William Butler in Culpeper Co. Va. in the same time period. Any connection?

William R. Butler - b. 1817 VA

Posted: 7 Jan 2002 12:27AM GMT
Surnames: Butler
have a William R. utler in my tree that i cannot fnd the parents to. I know that he was born about 1817 in Loisa County oHanover and he mrried Mary Kelly Hawkins January 4, 1843 in Louisa County. They had James Oscar Butler who married Mildred Susan Butler 3/19/1873. Mildred is the daughter of Hezekiah & Susan Harlow Butler. I am sure that somehow all of these Butlers are related, but have no idea how to fgure out the relatonship between Hezekiah and William R. Could you help possibly?? Thanks Tracey

Re: William Butler

Posted: 13 Jan 2002 5:52PM GMT
Tracey,
I have william's and Ja,es's in my family tree. Will keep you message in case I can find a connection.

You might check your dates, though. It is possible, but not probable, that they had a child after 30 years of marriage.

Keep in touch

Re: Butlers in Va.

Posted: 14 Jul 2003 2:38AM GMT
Edited: 25 Oct 2004 1:36AM GMT
This is one on my brick walls, too. This is my husbands family. He's a descendant of James Oscar Butler & Mildred Susan Butler. Let me know if you find anything!

Re: Butler Family, Culpeper Co., VA

Posted: 4 Jun 2005 7:38PM GMT
Edited: 3 Nov 2009 11:56PM GMT
We need to talk. We seem to be looking for the same people. I am researching Butlers from Culpeper County. I am looking for ancestors of David Butler (1805-1884). I am his direct descendant. The historical records indicate he moved from Culpeper County VA in about 1821 after his father died. He moved to Pickaway County Ohio with his mother where he met and married Elizabeth Yates. In 1833 he moved to Dekalb County Indiana and had nine kids. I need the names of David's mother and father. His father presumably died in Culpeper County in the range from 1806 to 1821. Anything I can get would be appreciated. I have a good family tree from David Butler down to the present with some interesting history. Charles Butler

Re: David Butler of Culpeper, VA

Posted: 4 Jun 2005 7:41PM GMT
I am researching Butlers from Culpeper County. I am looking for ancestors of David Butler (1805-1884). The historical records indicate he moved from Culpeper County VA in about 1821 after his father died. He moved to Pickaway County Ohio with his mother where he met and married Elizabeth Yates. In 1833 he moved to Dekalb County Indiana and had nine kids. I need the names of David's mother and father. His father presumably died in Culpeper County in the range from 1806 to 1821. Anything I can get would be appreciated.

Re: Butlers in Culpeper Co., VA

Posted: 3 Nov 2009 7:59PM GMT
Edited: 3 Nov 2009 11:56PM GMT
Surnames: Butler
Just to really throw a monkey wrench in this mix--I study the DNA results from Butler families on the Butler family DNA website as I look for my John, b. 1762. I only recently found his enlistment record on a log at the Chesterfield Courthouse for the Revolutionary War in 1780. and he came from Culpeper. There were at least 3 families of unrelated Butlers in Culpeper at this time. One group is descended from the "Butlers of Droitwich" described in Jon Stallard's book of that name on lulu.com (exceedingly well researched and a free download). They are of English descent These Butlers are represented by DNA group B on the DNA website. Representatives of the second family of Butlers that were there in Culpeper at that time are descendants of the family of Edmond "E" Butler of Goochland/Cumberland County, b.1694.This family includes the famous General John Butler of NC and his brother "William the Regulator" Butler in NC. They are represented by DNA group H. Finally, the family of Benjamin/Moses and Aaron Butler are represented here at this time, and their descendants are represented by Group G on the DNA site. Group B is so unrelated by DNA and haplogroup to H and G that the last common ancestor would be about 45,000 years ago. H and G are a little closer but we are still talking thousands of years. My John Butler is in DNA Group H, so I know to rule out anyone as relatives who are in Group G or B. Anyway, just wanted to say that these families have a number of first names in common,so it is really unwise to just assume any two Butlers in the county at the time were related unless they have a relatively uncommon first name--like "Spencer" or "armistead" (those are Jon Stallard's group B). Anyway, will be glad to correspond with anyone about Butler DNA or specific Butlers to help you place them in a DNA "family" , particularly those related to Edmond E Butler. Email is saylorscreek@aol.com. Thanks. Nancy

Re: Butler Family, Culpeper Co., VA

Posted: 21 Nov 2009 11:12PM GMT
I'm from same David Butler line. Only have information on Dekalb County, Indiana line. Anything else you have would be appreciated. thank you
per page

Find a board about a specific topic