Search for content in message boards

african american jennings, vinson (vincent) & weir families clarke, jackson, & oglethorpe counties

african american jennings, vinson (vincent) & weir families clarke, jackson, & oglethorpe counties

Posted: 27 Aug 2013 1:58PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: jennings, smith, weir, vincent, vinson, moon, stewart
i am looking for any information regarding Monroe Jennings & his descendants (he had a son nelson Jennings who married Julia weir in 1888)& for any information on the mace Vincent family from the Vincent plantation. his son Charles vinson had 4 children by my mother-in-law. the two families (Jennings & vinson)moved up to Middletown, butler, ohio along with other Jennings (peter & dora among them, smith family (Robert l smith was one it's members) & other African American families who made the big move from Georgia to the states up north.

Re: african american jennings, vinson (vincent) & weir families clarke, jackson, & oglethorpe counties

Posted: 26 Sep 2013 6:42PM GMT
I’m not related to any member of this family.

Facts you should know about the early census records –

All census records [1790 – 1840] prior to the 1850 census ONLY listed the head of household; whether male or female.

NO specific age was stated for any family member
NO place of birth was stated – city, state, or country
NO city, town, or village is stated – only the county; however some census takers listed the township
NO street address was stated
NO marital status was stated – single, married, widowed, or divorced
NO family relationship was stated – brother, sister, cousin, son, daughter, wife, inlaw, etc…
NO occupation was stated
NO parental birthplaces are stated
NO race was stated [but assume “white”]

1850, 1860 & 1870 census records do not show family relationships, marital status or parental birthplaces.

Step children are not enumerated as “step” children
Adopted children are not enumerated as “adopted”
Grand children are not enumerated as “grand children”
Orphaned children were not enumerated as "orphan"
Immigration date is not recorded

1850 is the 1st census that shows all family members

1880 is the 1st census that shows parental birthplaces and family relationships +++

1st - "AA" is a recently invented term and your ancestors will be recorded as - black, negro or mulatto.

1880 -
Name: Julia Jennings
Birth Date: Mar 1866
Birthplace: North Carolina
Home in 1900: Grover, Cleveland, North Carolina
Race: Black
Relation to Head of House: Wife
Marital Status: Married
Spouse's Name: Nelson Jennings
Marriage Year: 1884
Years Married: 16
Father's Birthplace: North Carolina
Mother's Birthplace: North Carolina
Mother: number of living children: 6
Mother: How many children: 8

Nelson Jennings 35, 5/65 NC - farmer, both parents b. NC
Julia Jennings 34
Emma Jennings 10, 12/89 NC
Leah Jennings 9, 4/91 NC
Richard Jennings 6, 12/93 NC
Hurbert Jennings 5, 12/94 NC
Birtha Jennings 3, 5/97 NC
William Jennings 1, 7/98 NC

Need DOB + birthplace for Monroe Jennings, mace Vincent, Charles Vinson

Need 1st name + married name for - mother-in-law + her DOB + birthplace

Re: african american jennings, vinson (vincent) & weir families clarke, jackson, & oglethorpe counties

Posted: 28 Sep 2013 12:20PM GMT
thank you for that information. but the families I am asking information about were born in Georgia except one family member of the Jennings family. Monroe Jennings, born about 1834, was born in Virginia. of course, I am not 100% positive my information is correct, but as far as I know these families are from Georgia. Peter Vincent, his wife & children were all born on the Vincent plantation & the owner I believe was Isaac S Vincent.

Posted: 26 Oct 2013 1:13AM GMT
My family sir names are; Jennings, Kidd, Huff, Gunter , Freeman all from Oglethorpe county, here are some descendants in the Ohio area. I am the great grand daughter of William Jennings whose wife was Julia Kidd

Posted: 19 Jan 2014 12:05AM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Edited: 19 Jan 2014 3:36AM GMT
Surnames: Vincent/Vinson/Thompson
Hello,

I just came across your message and think we may share an ancestor somewhere regarding the Vincent/Vinson line in Georgia.

I have recently started looking at this line because in the past I always got a dead end or brickwall. Recently I talked to an elder in my family and got some bread crumb info. This is as far as I have gotten:

My maternal great great grandmother is Sarah/Sallie Vincent. The family says she may have had Cherokee blood, but I will only believe it if I find proof. She married my great great grandfather; Judge Marshall Thompson Sr. (yes his first name was Judge, unique) and resided in Walton County, GA. Her descendants like me live in Ohio, Georgia and Illinois - among other places.

There is a book you need to check out. Some of it is online with Google. It is called : History of the american negro and his institutions by Arthur Bunyan Caldwell. It has various mini biographies of respected and prominent african americans in the early 1900s. Sallie Vincent is mentioned under Louis Thompson as his wife.

Now, recently my elder told me that the only relative she could remember was Reverend Harrison Vincent. I recently went back to that book and found his bio. The elderly relative can't recall how Sallie and him were related, that is brother, cousin, uncle, etc.

Now you mentioned Peter Vincent. Well in Harrison Vincent bio, it states he was born in Oconee which was formerly in Clarke County (a county u mentioned). It says his parents are Peter Vincent and Minerva Vincent. His grandfather was Jacob Vincent.

My great great grandmother had like 11 or more children. One daughter was named Nerva/Minerva.

My elder cousin also stated some switched the spelling to Vinson. Our ancestor used Vincent and so did Harrison.

Posted: 2 Mar 2014 5:11PM GMT
thank you for the information. I am sorry it's taken so long to answer I have been offline for about two months so I am catching up on my messages. it sounds like my husbans's family & yours are linked. I will check that book out. if you would like to share info or if you have questions (I have taken he vinson family back to the Vincent plantation) contact me on sissysfamily@hotmail.com. as soon as I am caught up on things I will take more time studying your message. thank you again
per page

Find a board about a specific topic