Search for content in message boards

Bollinger wagon train

Bollinger wagon train

Susan (View posts)
Posted: 6 Mar 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Mitchem
Seeking information on Mitchem/Mitcham who went on Bollinger wagon train from North Carolina.

Bollinger Wagon Train

viola mecum (View posts)
Posted: 1 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Asherbranner
What was the Bollinger Wagon Train?

Viola

Bollinger Wagon Train

Susan (View posts)
Posted: 2 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Mitchams, Bollingers
Wagon trains led by George Frederick Bollinger from Lincoln County, NC, to Missouri at the turn of the 19th century (i.e. around 1800).

Re: Bollinger Wagon Train

Posted: 15 Aug 2001 2:06AM GMT
Edited: 21 May 2002 1:57AM GMT
hi I am related to George Fredicerick Bollinger thur liza jane bollinger born 1869 mo

Posted: 21 Nov 2001 12:55AM GMT
Edited: 7 Jul 2002 2:46AM GMT
I am related to Coonrod Bollinger from Bollinger Co , and John Coonrod Bollinger Howell County, Mo
sincerly
Anna gomez

Clete Ramsey (View posts)
Posted: 21 Nov 2001 3:17PM GMT
Surnames: Ramsey, Bollinger, Statler, Nyswonger, Grount, Cryts/Crites, Cotner, Miller, Limbaugh, Welker, Slinkard, Whybark
The following passage is from the 1955 reprint edition (pages 274-275) of the 1888 Goodspeed's History of Southeast Missouri. The notes in brackets are mine:

"The foundation of the settlements on the White Water River, in what is now Bollinger County, and the western part of Cape Girardeau County, was laid by Col. George Frederick Bollinger. He was born in North Carolina, of Swiss parentage. His father, Henry Bollinger, was a Revolutionary War soldier, and was shot at home by Tories. George F. was the fourth son. About 1796 or 1797, with a companion named Moose or Meus, [George Bollinger] came to Upper Louisiana, and selected a location on the White Water, including the site of the present town of Burfordsville [Burfordville, Cape Girardeau County]. He made the acquaintance of Commandant Lorimier [Major Louis Lorimier, a Canadian and the commandant of the post of Cape Girardeau under the Government of Spain], and was promised a large concession if he would bring a certain number of colonists into the district. He returned to North Carolina for his wife, and when he set out for the West he was accompanied by twenty families. The journey was made in wagons. The company crossed the Mississippi River at Ste. Genevieve on the 1st of January 1800, and proceeded to the White Water, along which stream they made their settlements. In this colony were the families of Mathias Bollinger, John Bollinger, Henry Bollinger, William Bollinger, Daniel Bollinger, and Philip Bollinger, Peter and Conrad Statler, Joseph Nyswonger, George and Peter Grount, Peter Cryts (Crites), John and Jacob Cotner, John and Isaac Miller, Frederick Limbaugh, Leonard Welker, and Frederick Slinkard. All were either Germans or Swiss, and all spoke the German language. They were members of the German Reformed Church, and as soon as the interdiction against protestant ministers was removed by the transfer of the government in 1804, Col. Bollinger introduced Rev Samuel Weiberg, or Whybark, as the name is now written, to come from the Carolinas to look after the spiritual wants of the colonists. He did so, and in 1805 made a permanent location. From that time until his death, in 1833, he was traveling and preaching over a district extending from Jonesboro, Illinois, to the Current River. Among the colonists which he had brought out from North Carolina Col. Bollinger was naturally the leader, and Commandant Lorimier appointed him captain to organize the able bodied men into a company of militia, which he accordingly did, and so well were they drilled and mounted that they were pronounced by Lorimier the model company."

The Bollinger wagon train apparently left for Upper Louisiana from Lincoln County, North Carolina. According to one source, Daniel, John, Philip, and Mathias Bollinger were George Bollinger's brothers, and William and Henry Bollinger his nephews.

My Ramsey great-great-great grandparents made the move from Lincoln County, North Carolina, to the Cape Girardeau District of Missouri Territory between 1818 and 1819. I don't know if the family -- Samuel Ramsey, wife Rebecca (Huggins) Ramsey, and as many as nine of their children -- made the trip alone or traveled with others. My guess is that they left North Carolina after the harvest in 1818. My great-great grandfather Alfred Ramsey, Samuel and Rebecca Ramsey's 10th known child, was born in southeast Missouri in 1819. I don't know what drew my great-great-great grandfather to southeast Missouri. He may have been related to earlier Ramsey settlers in Upper Louisiana/Missouri Territory, or he may have learned about the area from former Lincoln County neighbors who "went West," perhaps even some in George Bollinger's party.

Posted: 11 Dec 2002 2:13AM GMT
Edited: 9 Aug 2003 12:17AM GMT
I've not heard from you in a while. Have you had any new descoveries in the Ramsey family?

I was chasing my John Vardiman Ramsey and I believe I've found his father Andrew Ramsey will.

Did your Samuel have a brother Andrew or William? I know common names! Andrew was born around 1775 and married I believe Rhoda Calfee daughter of John Calfee and Lattitial Vardeman. Hence the Vardiman middle name. John

Clete Ramsey (View posts)
Posted: 11 Dec 2002 6:13PM GMT
John,

There's some news to report, but mainly I've been off digging around other roots of the family tree.

Here's what I've been able to piece together on my Ramsey family, with a great deal of kind help from distant Ramsey cousins who cite documents (land records, wills, etc.) that I haven't seen.

My great-great-great grandfather Samuel Ramsey (b. 1777, VA; d. 1822, MO) had brothers Robert (b. 1766, VA), David (b. 1770, VA), and Solomon (b. 1775, VA), as well as sister Jane (b. 1768, VA).

No Andrew or William.

Samuel, Robert, David, Solomon, and Jane were children of Capt. William Ramsey (b. 1732, PA; d. before 1804, NC) and his second wife, Margaret (Chesnut) Ramsey.

According to one cousin, William Ramsey married first in Pennsylvania to a Margaret Allen. That union is said to have produced Robert (b. 1756, PA), Benjamin (b. 1758, PA), Jeannet (b. 1759, PA), John (b. 1761, PA), Thomas (b. 1763), and Margaret (b. 1764) Ramsey. I don't know first wife Margaret (Allen) Ramsey's fate. It's also not clear to me what became of the children from William's first marriage. My Ramsey cousin believes they remained in Pennsylvania, perhaps with their grandparents.

William reportedly married the second Margaret in 1765. It's not clear to me if that marriage was in Pennsylvania, where Margaret Chesnut was from, or in Virginia, where William moved.

William Ramsey later followed a brother David, a surveyor, to Lincoln County, North Carolina, where my great-great-great grandfather Samuel married Rebecca Huggins in 1797. Samuel and Rebecca Ramsey left Lincoln County for the Cape Girardeau District of Missouri Territory in 1818, apparently with at least nine children in tow. My great-great grandfather Alfred Ramsey was born in Missouri Territory in 1819.

One of Alfred's nine siblings was a "Vorde" Ramsey. I only know that he was born in Lincoln County, North Carolina, in 1798, and died, apparently never having married, in Cape Girardeau County, Missouri. I don't know when he died or where he is buried. I don't know if Vorde was his full given name or a nickname.

My great-great-great grandfather Samuel's brother Robert, who is said to have married Margaret Glenn, stayed in Lincoln County, North Carolina, apparently having been granted rights to the family property there by his brothers.

Samuels's siblings Jane, David, and Solomon moved from Lincoln County, North Carolina, to Tennessee: Jane Ramsey married Robert B. Glenn, Jr. (brother of Margaret [Glenn] Ramsey?) and moved to White County, Tennessee, with the Glenn family; David Ramsey, who married Jane McCausland, moved to Marshall and Warren Counties, Tennessee; Solomon Ramsey married Agnes Glenn (sister of Margaret [Glenn] Ramsey and Robert Glenn, Jr.?) and moved to Tennessee with the Glenn family.

I hope this gives you more puzzle pieces to play with.

Clete

Posted: 4 Jun 2003 6:05PM GMT
Edited: 5 Jun 2003 2:46PM GMT
Surnames: Bollinger
Hello, I am the grandaughter of John Daniel Bollinger (Dec 21, 1923) married to Zelma Bishop (Dec 17, 1932 Ark), Son of Ora Bollinger married to Bertha James, Son of Daniel Bollinger married to Celus ???. Daniel was the brother to George F. Bollinger. I'm looking for any records. Story has it he lost his part of the farm to the state after building the mill, because he bonded a friend out of jail that skipped town. I would love to research this more but don't know where to begin????

Posted: 18 Feb 2008 3:13PM GMT
Surnames: Ramsey, Smith
Wondering if any of the Ramsey's were a Arter(or Artie) M Ramsey. She was from the SE MO area and married to a Smith. Trying to find who her parents were.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions