Search for content in message boards

Dawes from Stoke Deremell Devon England

Dawes from Stoke Deremell Devon England

Posted: 14 Aug 2009 2:24PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: DAWE or DAW
Any information on the Dawe family from Stoke Demerell Devon UK please
John Daw dob 1791 married Grace Beale in the local church, he had a brother call James, but i have been unable to uncover John and James father and mothers names. Or what happened to James
John moved away from Stoke Demerell, and had children with Grace, Issaac being one of them, and that is the great great grandfather in my line

Re: Dawes from Stoke Deremell Devon England

Posted: 19 Jan 2011 4:40AM GMT
Surnames: Dawe
Isaac Dawe, son of Grace Beal and John Dawe is my great, great grandfather. His brother, James Dawe, is also my great, great grandfather as Isaac's son, Charles Bale and James'daughter, Amelia Dawe, married and are my great grandparents. I would like to learn more of them, perhaps we can share with eachother what we have so far and join our efforts.

Posted: 22 Jan 2011 5:00PM GMT
Hi
That´s interesting, i am pleased at long last i can put a little more onto our Dawe tree.

I have ordered the copy of Grace Beale and John Dawe marriage which was in Stoke Demerel Nr Plymouth.

Do you know what family John Dawe Snr came from and do you know anything about Grace Beale. I have come to a full stop on this one
The Dawes in Bristol uk

Posted: 20 Feb 2011 8:28AM GMT
I have a great, great grandmother named Amelia Dawe. From the research I have done so far she married Charles B Dawe and together they had 5 children: Archie Dawe, Charles J Dawe, Algernon Dawe, Percy J Dawe & Leonard J Dawe.

I know from the records that Charles was from Stoke Damerel and I have also seen Devon, London, England mentioned in some of the records.

Archie Dawe, son of Charles left England in 1913 and came to the United States where he Met and Married my great grandmother Mattie (don't know her maiden name) she is from Denmark. By 1930 they were living in San Francisco, CA

Archie and Mattie had 2 children: Wesley R Dawe and Ernestine M Dawe.

Wesley L Dawe is my grandfather and he married Evelyn Eberhart and togethet they had a son, Wesley R Dawe who is my father.

Does any of this coincide with any data you have collected?

I live in Concord, CA in the San Francisco Bay Area. Where do you live?

Melissa Marie Dawe.

Posted: 20 Feb 2011 8:30AM GMT
The more I look at the other posts in this thread I wonder if these are 2 different Dawe families. I see you live in the UK so disregard my ?? as to where you live.

:-)

Posted: 20 Feb 2011 9:10AM GMT
Hi Melissa,

You are on the right route.
The Dawe family did come from Stoke Damerell.
Years ago, when the Mayflower left England for America, on the boat were the families of Wades and Dawes as being some of the passengers. they left from Plyomouth and would have certainly been some of our family.
However we are not back that far.

Stoke Demerall is near Plymouth in Devon (not London which is 250 miles away)

Seems stange however that an Amelia DAWE married a Charles B DAWE, both having the same name. I will have a look later and see if we are related in someway. There is another message on the board from another line of the family i think!! saying they had an Amelia in their family line, and they are certainly from my side of the family

We come from Bristol in UK which is about 150 miles away from the originals DAWES of Stoke Damerell, but we now live in SPAIN, but go backwards and forwards to England all of the time.
Leave it with me and i will check if there is a link

Regards
Dawne Dawe from Spain

Posted: 20 Feb 2011 9:13AM GMT
Hi again,

I have just had a posting on the message board about Amelai Dawe and a Charles Dawe ( i think she means BALE), this must come from your side of the family.

Did you ever find out who Grace Beale and John Dawe parents were. Would you like a copy of their marriage certificate.
Regards
Dawne Dawe from Spain

Posted: 20 Feb 2011 9:18AM GMT
Hi Melissa,

Read this please
"Isaac Dawe, son of Grace Beal and John Dawe is my great, great grandfather. His brother, James Dawe, is also my great, great grandfather as Isaac's son, Charles Bale and James'daughter, Amelia Dawe, married and are my great grandparents. I would like to learn more of them, perhaps we can share with eachother what we have so far and join our efforts."

I think you came from this lineage.
Amelia Dawe, married Charles BALE not DAWE.
This is another posting regarding the Dawes from Stoke Demerall.
However how have you ended up having the surname of DAWE
when it usually passed down through the line from man, so Amelia would have lost her surname when she married Charles BALE
I await to see if this is your family
Regards
Dawne in Spain

Posted: 20 Feb 2011 10:00PM GMT
I just came across a document that shows Charles Bale Dawe was a widower at age 26 which is when he married Amelia Dawe. Under the heading for father is says Isaac Dawe is Charles's fathers name and under Amelia is says her father is James Dawe. Could this be the Charles that links us?

I have to say, this is all very exciting and I cannot stop thinking about this. I love the thought of actually having family from England.

Talk soon :-)

Posted: 21 Feb 2011 6:20PM GMT
Surnames: Dawe
Melissa,
I am the granddaughter to Percy Isaac Dawe, brother to your grandfather, Archie (Archibald) Dawe. It looks like we are realated! My mother spoke fondly of her Uncle Archie and of her cousin, Wesley. This is what I have written in my notes; "The family group record compiled by Ruth Mary Clement DAWE for her husband's family records Evelyn EBERHARD as the wife of Wes. Also, Sidney remembers that her favorite cousin, Wes, married a women named Evelyn." Also according to my notes your g-grandmother was Mattie Johnson. I also have family pictures that Amelia brought with her from England as well as those taken here in America. We could get together, I live in the central vally of CA, 90 miles east of San Francisco. Sarah Barth
per page

Find a board about a specific topic