Search for content in message boards

HADDENS of Carnteel, Errigal Keerogue & Aghaloo parishes in Co. Tyrone, Northern Ireland

HADDENS of Carnteel, Errigal Keerogue & Aghaloo parishes in Co. Tyrone, Northern Ireland

Posted: 17 Nov 2005 1:30AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 3 Jan 2006 3:27PM GMT
Surnames: HADDEN, ARMSTRONG, CALVIN, BEATTY, WORTHINGTON, LATIMER, IRWIN, REID/REED, CAMPBELL, CAULDWELL, MITCHELL, HUNTER, SIMPSON, DICKSON, GORDON, MURPHY, DONALDSON/DONELSON, COCHRAN, COBANE
Researching Haddens of southern Co. Tyrone, who originally came as Scots Presbyterians from Aberdeen during the Plantation of Ulster. David Hadden (born 1809 Ballygawley) described Aberdeen as "the home of my old, old ancestors." David's nephew Joseph Hadden Calvin (born 1827 Creevelea, Co. Monaghan) in his Princeton University records said that his mother Anne Hadden's family home was Aberdeen.

John Reid Hadden of Philadelphia (born 1864 Co. Tyrone) wrote his cousin Alexander Hadden Jr. in 1925:

"I can tell you they (our forefathers) came from Huguenots in France during the Huguenot war when many were put to the sword for their religion.

"Our forefathers having embraced the Presbyterian religion at that time were persecuted as were all others of the protestant faith. Some of them escaped to Ireland and settled in Ulster and, so I understand, were rather aristocratic in their way and very select in choosing their company and would not answer to the name of Hadden, had to be Had-deen giving it the French accent; that was between the fifteenth and sixteenth century, so you see you must go far back to find anything about the Haddens."

Many Co. Tyrone HADDEN ancestors' names are found in Presbyterian church records of Ballygawley and in townlands of Golan (Loughpark), Doolargy, Skey, Loughans, Cavankilgreen, Armalughey, Cravenny Scotch & Irish, Dernabane, Lisbeg, Tullyvar, Aughnacloy and others.

My direct ancestors are the Haddens of Ballygawley and Golan and the Armstrongs of Crosscavanagh (Pomeroy parish), but we have family links all over this part of Ireland. I'll be glad to share further information with anyone interested.

The 1766 Religious Census, Armagh Diocese, Parishes Aghalow & Carnteel, Co. Tyrone, has 5 Hadden names (and spelling variants), all Presbyterian:

Andrew Haddin
James Hadin
John Haddin
Robt. Hadden
Thomas Haddin

1796 Flax Growers List - Aghaloo parish, Co. Tyrone:

Archibald Hadden
John Hadden
Joseph Hadden

(In 1796 Flax Lists, there's also William Hadden in Co. Armagh, Ballymore Parish and John Haddon in Co. Monaghan, Aghabog Parish.)

The Freeholders' Records (signed 1795-1796):

Joseph Haddin - residence: Goland, signed at Ballygawley 1795
John Haddin - residence: Goland, signed at Ballygawley 1795
James Hadden - residence: Edengeeragh, signed at Aughnacloy 1795
John Hadden - residence: Edengeeragh, signed at Aughnacloy 1795
George Hadden - residence: Dromore, signed at Caledon 1796
John Hadden - residence: Dromore, signed at Caledon 1796

There are Haddens in numerous townlands in the Tithe Applotments and Griffith's Valuation, some directly linked to the Freeholders and some waiting on researchers to discover connections.

Many Co. Tyrone HADDENS and allied families emigrated to the U.S., Canada, and Australia. Related lines in Co. Tyrone and adjacent areas include ARMSTRONG, CALVIN, BEATTY, WORTHINGTON, LATIMER, IRWIN, REID/REED, CAMPBELL, CAULDWELL, MITCHELL, HUNTER, SIMPSON, DICKSON, GORDON, MURPHY, DONALDSON/DONELSON, COCHRAN, COBANE and others.

Re: HADDENS of Carnteel, Errigal Keerogue & Aghaloo parishes in Co. Tyrone, Northern Ireland

Michael David Hadden (View posts)
Posted: 23 Apr 2006 10:28AM GMT
Surnames: Hadden
Two: great grandfather Joseph Beatty Hadden, and Robert George Hadden. Both born in Ireland and came to U.S. in mid 1800's. Landed in New Orleans.
Possibly another brother David Alexander Hadden remained in Ireland. Any help in finding birth or records of any kind would be appreciated.

Re: Joseph Beatty Hadden & Robert George Hadden from Ireland

Annie Crenshaw (View posts)
Posted: 23 Apr 2006 7:59PM GMT
Surnames: HADDEN, BEATTY
Michael, I've corresponded a good bit with June Hobbs and Carol Pepper about Co. Tyrone natives Joseph Beatty Hadden, Robert George Hadden, and their uncle David Hadden (1809-1883) who became a merchant in New Orleans. Are you June's brother Mike? Will be glad to share more data by regular e-mail if you'll write me directly. Regards, Annie

Re: HADDENS of Carnteel, Errigal Keerogue & Aghaloo parishes in Co. Tyrone, Northern Ireland

Posted: 19 Mar 2010 11:30AM GMT
I live in the parish of errigal Kerrogue, and my grandmother was born Kathleen Hadden, about 2 miles away in skye..skey

Posted: 30 Mar 2010 12:57AM GMT
I would like to talk. I am Charles David Hadden, Great Great grand son of Joseph Beaty H. and great grand son of Joseph William and on down that line.

Posted: 4 Jun 2012 8:22PM GMT
I see your grandmother was born at Skey/Skye townland. What was her father's name? My grandparents also lived in Skey/Skye and my father was born there in 1905. I was in that townland just three weeks ago.
Evelynn
Ontario, Canada

Re: Kathleen HADDEN of Skye in Co. Tyrone

Posted: 4 Jun 2012 8:35PM GMT
Surnames: HADDEN, EDWARDS, McCREA, JONES
Evelynn,

I think the person with grandmother "Kathleen Hadden" was probably Phillip Edwards, grandson of Kathleen HADDEN & Thomas James Hopper "Tom" EDWARDS. Linda and I visited Kathleen several times; she was a cousin of Rae Hadden Gilmore. Kathleen's parents were David Smith HADDEN (1886-1966) & Elizabeth J. McCrea, and grandparents: James HADDEN of Skye (1843-1891) & Doolargy and Ellen JONES.

Annie

Re: Kathleen HADDEN of Skye in Co. Tyrone

Posted: 4 Jun 2012 11:52PM GMT
Annie,
I took a photo of the Edwards gravestone "In Loving Memory Of Thomas James Hopper" at Ballygawley Presbyterian Graveyard. I have a Thomas Charles Hopper, born 1896, son of Thomas Hopper and Jane Campbell, who was a grandson of Charles Campbell and Mary Jane MURRAY of Ballygawley. Thanks for the Hadden connection to the grandmother Kathleen.

Evelynn
per page

Find a board about a specific topic