Search for content in message boards

Olson/Peterson from ?

Olson/Peterson from ?

Posted: 19 Feb 2002 2:28AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 9 Nov 2005 6:58PM GMT
My great grandparents are from Norway, where exactly I don't know. His name is Carl F. Olson born 1854. He married Marie Peterson, born 1863. They had 2 children born in Norway, Carl-1883 and Olga-1885. Then the must of immigrated to Michigan and had 5 more children. They lived in Manistee, Michigan from about 1888 until Marie died in 1925. Carl died in Detroit, Michigan in 1933. If any one has any iformation on Carls or Maries parents or where they might be from in Norway I would appreciate the help.

Re: Olson/Peterson from ?

PR (View posts)
Posted: 19 Feb 2002 2:31PM GMT
Check the US census enumerations (like the 1900,1910,1920) for details such as the year that they emigrated and/or when they were naturalized.
Look for newspaper obituaries (usually especially fruitful in small town newspapers).
Check for surviving church records where they were members of a congregation after coming to the US. Most Lutheran ministers recorded the locations where new members had been originally baptised and/or confirmed. Even if the name of the original parish in Norway is mispelled and 'Americanized' you'll have very valuable hints to research.
Ask every aunt, uncle and cousin for hints as to what part of Norway, perhaps aunt whosits says she thinks Carl was originally known as 'Karl Frisvoll' -- you understand, I'm just making up an example. Uncle whatsit remembers that grandma always talked of growing up on an island.... bits and pieces like that might help you in the long run.
Also check for any and all published histories of the county or small town where they lived or perhaps a centennial celebration publication of the church, sometimes 'prominent' or early citizens were listed with a brief biography.
Sometimes US naturalization papers will contain detailed nativity and/or US arrival information, land purchase documents, insurance, etc.

Posted: 19 Feb 2002 11:23PM GMT
Thanks for the information. I have no one to ask. My mother and father divorced when I was a baby and I didn't know any of this side of the family. I have found some cousins, but all the older people are all dead. The cousins don't know anything.
Again Thanks for answering

Posted: 20 Feb 2002 4:38AM GMT
PR gave you some excellent examples of things you can do (and need to) before you start searching in Norway. Where did they live in the USA? Perhaps the local county historical society has some information on them. Which state did they live in? And where? Their children had to fill out Social security applications, or their foreign born children's children, and on that application sometimes the place of birth for the parents is listed. It's easiest to start with the generation closest to you and work back, so find out everything about your father that you can, and work back from there. Start with his birth and death information, Social Security death index, etc.

The dates you have for them are good ones, because they would both show up in the 1865 online census, and also their emigration date might have them showing up on the lists of emigrants leaving Norway. But their common names gives too many results when searching.
don't give up, it is possible!
Taryn

Posted: 20 Feb 2002 4:49AM GMT
Try the Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness for finding someone to help you with Manistee County MIchigan searching,
go to this website
http://www.raogk.org/
Click on our volunteers, then on michigan, and scroll down to Manistee county.
There seem to be three that do public records and copying, perhaps you could get information on the wife who died in that county. Since the husband was alive when she died and he knew from whence she came in Norway, it might be in the records, like death certificate, or obituary. Or even the funeral home records, or church records.

Posted: 20 Feb 2002 8:06AM GMT
Edited: 13 Feb 2004 9:24AM GMT
A search at http://familysearch.org/ shows that a Carl Frederick Olsen married Marie Pettersen on October 2, 1881 in Sarpsborg, Østfold. They had these children:
Charles Myron Olsen, b. Feb 10, 1882 in Sarpsborg
Olga Marie Olsen, b. Feb 10, 1886 in Sarpsborg

The information is from the International Genealogical Index, and no source citations are given. The reliability of the information is therfore low. The information should be verified by looking up the church register. That should also provide you with Carl and Marie's date and place of birth and their fathers' names. Church registers can be provided from your local LDS family history center, see http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHC/frameset_fhc.asp

They probably left Norway between 1886 and 1888, the port of departure was probably Kristiania (Oslo). The emigration records for 1886-1888 is not yet available online, but they will probably be within a few months. The year of emigration can be verified by looking up the 1900 US census.

Posted: 20 Feb 2002 1:57PM GMT
Thank you so much. That is them. Now I have a place to start in Norway. I appreciate this soo much. Thank you. This is the most help I have gotten from these message boards. I'm so excited. Thanks again, Debbie

Posted: 7 May 2013 8:06AM GMT
Hey Debbie. I see what a great help you were to the original poster, so perhaps you might be able to help me too as I am at a total loss.

I'm trying to find information on my Great-Grandfather, also named Carl F. Olson. He was born Sep. 10, 1878 and he died April 7, 1908. He married Daisy Olson (her maiden name was Sniffen). They had 2 daughters (Ethel and Beatrice) and a son, Carl. They lived in Norwalk, CT or around it. He is buried in Greenwood Union Cemetery in Rye, NY. I know he was from Norway, but that is all I know. I would LOVE to know WHERE in Norway he is from, and who his parents were so I can continue tracing my bloodline. He MIGHT have been related to an Oscar Olson who died in 1944 who was a Fireman in Putnam County NY. The only reason I say that is because buried right next to him is an Oscar Olson; his headstone simply reads "Oscar Olson 1877-1944" and it has a Fireman marker in front of it. Maybe Oscar was his brother?

ANY help you can send my way would be REALLY great and very much appreciated. You can email me at nolan318@gmail.com

Thanks for your time!
Jamie

Posted: 7 May 2013 2:30PM GMT
Edited: 7 May 2013 2:32PM GMT
According to the 1910 census for Norwalk, CT, the children were all born in New York:

Ethel, ca. 1902
Beatrice, ca. 1904
Carl, ca. 1905

In 1900, Daisy Sniffen was living with her parents in Rye, NY. Did Carl die before or after the move from New York to Connecticut?

Posted: 7 May 2013 8:01PM GMT
Hey, thank you for the reply. I think you're right. I think Carl did indeed die before the move to Norwalk, CT. Because he is buried in Rye, NY. I have been to his grave. I'm just at a total loss now for how to track down his parents and where in Norway he was from. And advice you have will be much appreciated. Thanks again for your reply.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions