Search for content in message boards

LOOKUP FOR OBIT FOR JOHN CALVIN MAYHEW

LOOKUP FOR OBIT FOR JOHN CALVIN MAYHEW

Posted: 9 Jun 2010 8:50PM GMT
Classification: Query
I was wondering if any one could look an obituary (or tell me where I would go to find one) for John Calvin Mayhew born
August 11, 1846 and died August 06, 1918.

Re: LOOKUP FOR OBIT FOR JOHN CALVIN MAYHEW

Posted: 26 Mar 2013 4:08AM GMT
WHERE did he die? That would help greatly in looking it up.

Posted: 26 Mar 2013 1:52PM GMT
He lived in Pittsylvania County Virginia. His parents lived in Franklin County Virginia. I have seen it on Ancestry listed in both places. I am just not sure.

Posted: 26 Mar 2013 1:58PM GMT
virginiaroom@gmail.com

This is the email address to the Roanoke Library.They take obit requests online and do them free.Write to them and give them all the info on his death and perhaps they will find his obit.Takes about a week to hear back. You want to be sure to thank them as this is a FREE service which many libraries charge up to $15 each for. If your relative died in Roanoke County, they might be able to find it.Otherwise, try the Pittsylvania library. Good luck.
Shelley

Posted: 26 Mar 2013 2:08PM GMT
Thank you for the information.

Posted: 3 Apr 2013 1:59AM GMT
Funny, I saw this name and had to respond. Your John C Mayhew lived with my 2nd great grandfather, Jas Ed Brown, in 1880. I'm assuming he was a farm laborer.

If you have the date of death, which you do, it may be that you can peruse the old Rke Times a day or two after that date, but he would likely not have had an obit there, if he were in Franklin County.

My advice would be to contact the Franklin County Courthouse or the Franklin County Historical Society...to ask if there were any newspapers from Franklin County...that would be available somewhere to search through. I've looked for old Rocky Mt papers and had no luck, myself, but that is the best advise I can offer. I do hope you the best of luck.

:) Sheila

Posted: 3 Apr 2013 2:24AM GMT
By the way, did you know he was buried at the Liberty ME Church in Pittsylvania County? It is on Smith Mtn Road, near Sandy Level. This makes me think you may want to contact Pittsylvania County...but that area is very close to the Franklin County border.

Posted: 3 Apr 2013 2:10PM GMT
Sheila How do you know he was buried at Liberty ME Church in Pittsylvania County? I have looked in the books that have church, public and private cemeteries and have never seen his name. Do you know if his wife Emily McGhee Mayhew was burried there also? Yes I do know that he was living with Jas Ed Brown in 1880 as a farm laborer. Not sure where he died. I have asked Virginia Library for a death certificate on the date of death but they have no records. Thank you for the information.

Posted: 3 Apr 2013 10:36PM GMT
Surnames: Mayhew
http://search.ancestry.com/iexec?htx=View&r=an&dbid=...

Also, Liberty ME Church is on Rt. 40, not the Liberty Christian Church that I was thinking about when I posted earlier. Do you live in the area?

Posted: 4 Apr 2013 3:27PM GMT
I have a copy of this request for a headstone. My grandmother Lillian Mayher Jordan requested it. I live in Suffolk, VA. Was born and lived in Lynchburg (Campbell County) for many years. I have been trying to find an address for this Church so that I could write to them to see if they have any records. Do you know if the church still active?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions