Search for content in message boards

Findagrave questions

Findagrave questions

Posted: 21 May 2012 2:16PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 21 May 2012 2:21PM GMT
1. The ancestry searches do not find all of the findagrave items. I knew that would happen but is there a way to attach ones that we find through a findagrave search. I am adding them to the links but is there a way to attach them? Also, is there a way to get them into the ancestry search? There are some that can be found by browsing a location but some just do not show up, so there are two types that could be improved. The ones that are not showing up with a name search but can be found through an ancestry search of location and the ones that just are not making it into the ancestry search.

2. Some items have the spelling of the months as shown below. This spelling does not appear on the findagrave site, nor does it appear for the timeline. It is not really a problem but I am curious why you are using these spellings for the record page?
Attachments:

Re: Findagrave questions

Posted: 21 May 2012 3:09PM GMT
Odd ... the dates have been translated to French.

Posted: 21 May 2012 3:50PM GMT
Oui,

That is a bug we are working on. It should save properly to your tree, though.

John

Posted: 21 May 2012 4:41PM GMT
Edited: 21 May 2012 4:44PM GMT
"the ones that just are not making it into the ancestry search"--scwbcm

Ancestry.com has not uploaded findagrave.com indexes for all states/places.

The way to 'connect' findagrave.com items to your tree that are not in an Ancestry.com index is to manually enter the citation. This will not operate like the Ancestry.com citation-link that to the Ancestry.com extract/index page (if there is no such page in existence).

Be aware that what shows in the Ancestry.com index is what shows up in the main findagrave.com search-results page. It is not necessarily what is on the actual gravestone; may include full and/or wrong dates from unstated sources, may include women's maiden names (whether right or wrong) with no source given, etc. Sometimes stuff is from death records, sometimes from obituaries, sometimes from genealogies/trees, sometimes there's no way to figure out what the stuff comes from.

Posted: 21 May 2012 6:38PM GMT
Edited: 21 May 2012 6:39PM GMT
Thank you for all of the above responses.

"Ancestry.com has not uploaded findagrave.com indexes for all states/places."

Some of the items that I am referring to are found in the same cemetery next to people who are found through the ancestry search, so it is not necessarily a state/place or even a particular cemetery that is not searchable. Sometimes they are spouses or children in the same plot or even on the same pillar or marker.

I have been trying to determine why some make it into the ancestry search and why some don't. I can't tell why. At first, I thought the ancestry search was only locating ones with photos but it was not that. I have also ruled out that it is a problem with particular cemeteries or particular posters. Nor does it seem to matter whether they have been on findagrave a long time or for a somewhat shorter period. It does seem that the newest ones frequently do not appear but this doesn't provide an answer for many of them.

I would suggest to others that after you locate someone with an ancestry search, go to the findagrave site and search that site directly for that cemetery. This is also important so that you can verify frostfreedet's other valid points.

I do realize that findagrave is not a static database and I am guessing that this may have something to do with the issue particularly for the newer items. There does appear to be something more than that but I don't have the answers.

Posted: 21 May 2012 7:03PM GMT
Other than the example, translated into French, for which you provided details, what other problems are you having? If you don't provide details, no one can do anything.

Posted: 21 May 2012 10:11PM GMT
Edited: 21 May 2012 10:17PM GMT
Keep in mind that these are people I have already located on findagrave so I am -not-looking for answers for burial information. I am trying to work through some issues between the two sites. I will try to offer more details but I think there are a lot of variables and this may lead us off on rabbit trails. I will give it a try.

The first issue was that I was hoping for an improvement so that items found on findagrave could be added to ancestry. This was for items which aren't in the ancestry search. The item with the star is one of many routes to findagrave but there are items that I see there that I am not seeing in the ancestry searches. I have some rare names and I can actually get through everything that is offered for some of these names. It sounds like the answer to this is no. I suspected it would be no, but I thought I would try.

After looking at this for a few people it looks like the people not shown in some of the searches may be people who aren't fitting some criteria or for whom there is an issue. One person is listed twice, one doesn't have a date of death, some are new, etc. I think I may need to address some of these with findagrave or perhaps wait awhile for them to be included.

The other issue where they do not show up easily by name may also have more than one reason. And I think there may be some different methods required for the searches. One person I looked at is a John M Conner (senior) Macoupin county, Illinois. If you look for him on findagrave or up at the item that with the star, he is extremely easy to find. Merely putting in Conner and Macoupin on findagrave gives you only four results to chose from. Using the ancestry searches he is more difficult. John does not have a date of death so this may be part of the problem.

I noticed that old search and new search are a bit different. Old search offers a bit more if you are searching using burial. However, neither produced great results, particularly not when compared to the findagrave search. I also tried to use the card catalog and found an option to search by cemetery name. This worked well with some other locations but I could not get Behme Cemetery to show up.

Whoops, I think I switched the labeling. Old search has the one that directly includes the word burial.

Attachments:

Posted: 22 May 2012 1:03PM GMT
Edited: 22 May 2012 1:06PM GMT
I should have mentioned that there is a difference between old search and new search for the ability to search using birth, also. Please keep the ability to use the birth part for a search. This is very helpful because you don't always have the death information, which is part of the main reason to look for a tombstone. Now that I know the difference and between the two searches I will keep that in mind when starting a search to determine which one to try first.

Posted: 28 May 2012 11:42PM GMT
John

Macoupin County records have always been a mess no matter how many times people have pointed it out. For example, on some censuses Ancestry has them listed as Ma Coupin county - and unless you know that, you get no results.

Everytime a "fix" has been announced - something else is screwed up in Macoupin county. It's one county where Ancestry needs to go out to each database it is listed in - and fix it.

Posted: 7 Jun 2012 10:00PM GMT
I don't know if it is the same problem that the original poster is having, but one problem I've noticed happening since about three or four weeks ago is that the FindaGrave results page no longer opens in a new tab in the top browser window that you are viewing (the one that contains the tab for the originating window), like it used to consistently do.

Instead, if you have multiple browser windows open, it seems to open a new tab in a random non-active window, NEVER in the front window. It does not activate the window that it puts the new tab in, simply leaving it at the same place in the stacking order. So you have to go digging for it. For example, just now I clicked on one of the buttons to open the FindaGrave window, and it opened as the 3rd of 11 tabs on a window that formerly had 10 tabs, that window being the 10th from the bottom of my 17 open browser windows.

For quite some time, I simply thought that the result windows were not opening at all, so I would manually go do a FindaGrave search, using the Ancestry results only as a clue to what name the grave was indexed under. But eventually I went back to some of my underneath windows to finish up the work in them, and discovered the results of several days worth of "presumed failed" FindaGrave links sitting in them.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions