Search for content in message boards

KERR's of DONEGAL

KERR's of DONEGAL

Karen Kerr (View posts)
Posted: 23 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Kerr, Sweeney, McGonigal
Searching for relatives of Hugh Kerr & Rose (Sweeney) of Dungloe(not sure that is spelled correct) Donegal. They had 4 children: Patrick, Jody, Hugh (was called Teddy) Annie(Sweeney)and Mary(McGonigal)members of St. Patricks Parrish. Any info please email me at kfkerr@aol.com

Sweeney

Margaret Collins (View posts)
Posted: 18 Dec 2000 12:00PM GMT
There were Sweeneys on Inch Island in Co. Donegal on Lough Swilly.

Sweeney, McConagley Fannad Penninsula

Posted: 1 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 15 Dec 2002 9:08AM GMT
Surnames: Sweeney, McConagley
I am trying to learn more about the family of my greatgrandmother, Mary McConagley who married John Duganin New Jersey. I have been told that Mary McConagley was the child of John McConagley and Isabella Sweeney and that she was raised in Clondavaddog Parish on the Fanad Penninsula of Donegal. Might there be any connection here? You can respond here on the board or directly at vs1@compuserve.com
Posted: 18 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 20 Aug 2002 7:17PM GMT
Mary's McGonigal husband may possibly be linked to mine. There would have been mcGonigles south of Dungloe as well (perhaps quite a way south), but most of those in the area immediately to the north were descended from a tailor who had come from the Fanad peninsula (from Maryellen's lot) and settled on Owey island north of Dungloe. Would be interested in any information you have on Mary's husband. Yes, you have spelt Dungloe correctly - though sometimes spelt wqithout the g - it is pronounced DunLO.

Re: KERR's of DONEGAL

Posted: 30 Apr 2002 7:46PM GMT
This post was deleted by the author on 29 May 2011 9:22PM GMT

Glenn Sullivan (View posts)
Posted: 2 May 2002 12:38AM GMT
Surnames: McCool, Kerr
My Grandmother, Sarah McCool, came from Donegal (Ramelton, near Lough Swilly). Her sister, Mary McCool, married a Hugh Kerr. Mary was born around 1887, so not sure if that matches her Hugh the father or Hugh the son (Teddy).

That is really all I have. But maybe there is a connection?

Karen Kerr (View posts)
Posted: 3 May 2002 1:27AM GMT
Hi:

I am looking for Kerr. My grandfather was a "KERR" I still have one live relative left who was her niece and lived in Falcorrib herself before emigrating ot the US. Although many of my relatives pronounce our name as Carr this relative said it is Kerr. However, I would be interested in viewing the census as I know the names could have been written that way on the census. Do you know how I might be able to view these or where I can locate access to them?

Thank you

Karen (View posts)
Posted: 3 May 2002 1:32AM GMT
Surnames: Kerr, O'Neil, Sweeney, Boyle
Hi: Interestingly enough my grandfather Hugh (teddy)did Marry a Mary but she was Mary O'Neil and was born in the U.S. My grandfather did become a US citizen but went back to Donegal when my grandmother passed in 1973 and he died there in 1978. His father Hugh was married to Rose (Sweeney). Thanks

Posted: 3 May 2002 3:41PM GMT
Edited: 23 Apr 2003 8:55PM GMT
The 1901 census and 1911 census may be viewed in Dublin or may be requested at any Latter Day Saints(LDS) family history centre. The name is more usually spelt Kerr in the northern part of the county but around Dungloe was always spelt Carr

Posted: 5 May 2002 7:12PM GMT
Edited: 7 Sep 2003 8:13AM GMT
There are both Kerrs and Carrs in Fanad (North Donegal) -I agree that the names are from the same roots - most old Donegal names are Gaelic in origin, but were recorded in "anglicisied" versions during the 19th Century, with local variations in spelling. This might explain the Kerr spelling in some localities and Carr in others.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic