Search for content in message boards

Trade Directories Amsterdam 19th century

Trade Directories Amsterdam 19th century

Posted: 3 Jul 2012 4:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 3 Jul 2012 4:19PM GMT
Does anyone know, were any trade directories compiled and published of businesses in Amsterdam in the 19th century? If so where are they located and how can they be accessed?

Re: Trade Directories Amsterdam 19th century

Posted: 4 Jul 2012 1:40PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Hazel,

There are address books from 1820. There is 1 handelsadresboek for 1860. handel = trade They are 6 days a week available in the reading room. Some books are digitized and can be seen for free at the city archive. Downloads cost money. See
https://stadsarchief.amsterdam.nl/archieven/archiefbank/inve...
If you have a direct question I might be able to give an answer. Jan

Posted: 4 Jul 2012 4:45PM GMT
I am looking for Jackson and Company run by Matthew Jackson, maybe with a partner/s, between 1825-1850, in Amsterdam and Hillegom. Other relatives in Amsterdam who might also be associates are Thomas Jackson, Richard Jackson, Mary Leonard and Hannah Leonard. Their main premises in Amsterdam were shops at 98-100 Kalverstraat.

Posted: 4 Jul 2012 6:12PM GMT
Surnames: Jackson
I can't help you with Hillegom. Did he own or did he rent the premises? Is the number 98-100 the number used nowadays? All the housenumbers changed around 1874.
What do you want to know about them? The registration from 1851 lists 4 Jackson people. 3 of those arrived in 1852 & 1853. Amelia Jackson born Jan 04, 1814 in London lives with her husband. There was no registration about people before 1849. Did any of those Jackson people marry, had childern or passed away in Amsterdam between 1825-1850?
Attachments:

Posted: 4 Jul 2012 6:52PM GMT
Edited: 4 Jul 2012 6:58PM GMT
Richard Jackson, was a milliner (hat maker) from Yorkshire, who moved to Amsterdam in the late 18th century. He was registered as a poorter and by 1815 he was living with his wife Mary Leonard at 100 Kalverstraat Amsterdam (same number today) where they had a shop. She sold drapery (lace, fabrics, thread etc) and he ran his hat making business. I have an invoice letterhead for Richard Jackson with this address.

Mary's orphaned niece Hannah also lived with them.(Mary and Hannah were also from Yorkshire originally, from Hull.) Richard died in 1816 and his nephew Thomas (1791-1834) from York moved to Amsterdam and worked in the shop as a book-keeper. Thomas married Hannah Leonard in 1818 and when Mary Leonard Jackson died, Hannah inherited the shop in Kalverstraat.

It still seems to have continued as a drapers shop selling fabrics etc. However there are portraits of Thomas and Hannah at the time of their wedding in 1818, painted by a well known artist in Holland, (Charles Howard Hodges) which were auctioned by Christies in 2004. The auction listing stated that Thomas had carved the frames himself and that would make sense because his family in England were craftsmen. The auciton listing also said he was the art dealer for Charles Howard Hodges.

Hannah and Thomas died in 1833 and 34 leaving their children as orphans. Their sons John H and Thomas L Jr went abroad but Mary Jane stayed in Holland and became Mrs Vethake. Thomas Sr appointed his brother Matthew as the guardian of his son Alexander (my gggg grandfather). I thought this Matthew lived in England but recent research has shown that he also lived in Holland (he died in Hillegom in 1852).

And another researcher has found records in the newspaper database showing that Matthew was also in business in Holland (http://kranten.kb.nl/view/article/id/ddd%3A010071092%3Ampeg2... the 1830s.

As Matthew died in Hillegom in 1852, I assume he was in business in Amsterdam in the 1830-40s.

So I am trying to find out what Matthew's business was and also if Thomas was registered as a picture frame maker and wood carver at 100 Kalverstraat before his death in 1834.

Posted: 4 Jul 2012 7:06PM GMT
Surnames: Jackson Leonard
I see that Thomas Jackson was married to Hannah Leonard. Their daugther Mary Jane, born July 8, 1823 in Amsterdam married on April 3, 1850 in Arnhem. See for the marriage index http://www.genlias.nl/nl/page0.jsp .She is registered on 10 July 1823. In the same index on https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-17426-692-88?cc=1... are also Alexander Mathew, registered on 20 Feb. 1828 and Thomas Leonard 20 Sep. 1825. See attachment for the birth record of Mary Jane. Her father is listed with profession winkelier, shopkeepeer.

Posted: 4 Jul 2012 7:11PM GMT
Yes this is curious as it seems clear that he was a shop keeper but the portrait painted in 1818 by Charles Howard Hodges is definitely of Thomas and Hannah and they look very affluent.

The current owner of the portraits tells me that they are clearly labelled to say that Thomas himself carved the frames and that he was also the art dealer for Charles Howard Hodges who was a famous artist at the time. So was Thomas a draper or an art dealer? I wondered if the trade directories might list the businesses carried out at 98 and 100 Kalverstraat in the 1830s, or alternatively have records of Thomas and Matthew Jackson in business in Amsterdam in 1830s.

Posted: 4 Jul 2012 7:42PM GMT
The death record of Thomas Jackson who died on 4 Aug. 1834 at 10 AM shows him also as a shopkeeper. Rev. Alexander Berry Macky does the registration. Do you want the record? It can be downloaded from https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-10895-28108-36?cc...

Posted: 6 Jul 2012 5:07PM GMT
I checked this afternoon the adresboeken of 1821, 1823, 1825 and 1832. All 4 give "in manufacturen" The data is given in pdf format and can't be attached in this group. I can send them to you when you give me an valid email address. 1821 gives as name widow of Jackson. The next 3 just Jackson.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions