Search for content in message boards

Josiah Lamb

Josiah Lamb

Ivan L. Saunders (View posts)
Posted: 26 Feb 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: Lamb, Holmes, Saunders
Hi:
I am Ivan L. Saunders and my Gr.Gr. Mother was Louisa Lamb, Gr.Gr. Father was Bolivar Adams Homes Their Dau.Margaret Nancy (Homes) Saunders was my Grand mother. The following is taken from the Linn County, Kansas A History by W.A. Mitchell:
Josiah Lamb, who served as a delegate from Linn County to the Wyandotte convention which framed the constitution of the state of Kansas in 1859, was one of those but unpretentious and modest characters who deserve a much better tribute than they will ever get because of the passing away of nearly ass who knew about him. The Lamb family is of the oldest colonial stock and helped to make several states in the American Union.
Josiah's parents settled in an early day near Richmond, Indiana, right on the Ohio line east of Indianapolis. That was at one time one of the biggest Quaker settlements in the west. From there a large party went into Iowa and in 1857 a party of about Forty Lambs came into Linn County from Iowa. As will be seeing the sketch following: Josiah was a son of Restore Lamb and his wife who was Millicent Winslow. Josiah married his cousin Ruth, who was a Quaker Preacher.
(Their Children were all influential people> Ann married Enos Mills, Miles Married Nancy Helmers, Jonathan married Anna Collins, Joseph married Jane Winters, Lydia married David Lindsay, Susanna Married John Collins, Erma married Henry Smith, and Calvin married Ella Daly.)
He was an expert Millwright. A distant relative is Giles H Lamb, a Lawyer by profession at Yates Center Kansas, and member of the Kansas Senate from that County (Woodson). Who has the Following Family Sketch:
"My uncle Basil Lamb who died a few years ago told me that Josiah Lamb was his cousin. Basil was about 93 years of age when he died and I got the history of the family quite largely from him. His Father's name was Barnabas. They came North Carolina to eastern Indiana in the early settement of that country and took land near what is now the city of Richmond. I do not know just who the parents of Josiah Lamb were. They were old-fashioned Quakers as were all the early members of the branch of the Lamb Family, but I am inclined to think as I remember it now the Uncle Basil told be that Josiah was a son of Restore Lamb."
An Interesting old letter sent to Senator Lamb is authentic and gives all the information know of the family:
Oregon, Holt County Missouri, 4 th Mo. 2nd Day 1878--
Dear Friend and Nephew:
Finding a letter directed to Wills Lamb and there being no person in the country by that name, having a brother of that name, though he lives in eastern North Carolina, I took the privilege to open the letter. My name is Isaac Lamb, a brother to Barnabas Lamb, thy grandfather. Now to answer thy request, I will begin as far back as I can ascertain through tradition or otherwise. Henry Lamb, one of the early settlers in America came from England; in the sixteenth century, settled in Eastern North Carolina ; some years later, removed to the western part of the state. His son Isaac Lamb married Elizabeth Nixon and remained in the same settlement, raised a family viz: ( also whom they Married)
Phineas, Dorothy White; Restore, Millicent Winslow ; Zacariah, Miriam Griffith, Armager, Sarah Munden; Elizabeth, Thomas Stover ; John, Sarah Smith ; Joseph, Lovey Smith.
John Lamb and Sarah Lamb, formerly Smith remain in the same settlement, raised a family, viz: ( and whom they married ) Hosea, Mary ---; Barnabas, Ruth Bently ; Achasah, Exum Elliott ; Ery , Rebecca Pearson ; Miles , Nancy Modlin ; Rachel , Charles Harred ; Jemima , Joshua Trombled ; Willis , Mary Newby ; Phineas , Hulda Bundy ; Isaac , Catharine White ; Lydia , Daniel Gwinn. The Foregoing is as near correct as I am able to give.
Hosea Lamb's wife family name I cannot give at this time and the name of Hosea's wife.
If thee should find any not correct, please correct them and excuse the writer of this. Pherhaps some of thy father's people can give thee the family name of Hosea's wife. Thy Uncle Jacob perhaps can give thee the name required. this is principally given from memory as thee has no intention to publish this, I will no hesitate to let thee have is as it is.
With respect, thy friend and uncle, Isaac Lamb
I hope this will help you on your Family Tree, has it has helped me. If I can be of anyother help E-mail at O2Ranch@ckt.net
Ivan L. Saunders

Basil Lamb

Dee Baker (View posts)
Posted: 21 Nov 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Lamb, Ivy, Hunt, Jett, Johnson
I have an aunt that told me to look up Basil Lamb as he is related but she doesn't know how he fits it with my grandpa Alvin Cooper Lamb. Alvin was born in 1901 in TX to a John M Lamb and Betty Jett John was born In TN and that is all I know about my Lamb family. Thanks Dee Lamb Baker at ddbaker1@prodigy.net

Response to biography of Josiah Lamb by Ivan Saunders

Frances Brandon (View posts)
Posted: 30 Nov 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Lamb

My name is Frances Brandon and I am the grand neice of Giles Lamb. My grandfather was Alson Lamb, his brother. I have a family tree copied by my deceased mother from a document prepared by a cousin in the early 60's or late 50's. I believe it contains information you or others may be looking for.

According to the papers Henry Lamb came to this country from England in 1621, he was married, but I have no record of his wife's name. However, I do have information that she died in 1640. Henry settled in Jamestown, Pergceniman? County, North Carolina. There is also a grant registered to him in Spartensburg, North Carolina.

An interesting twist to the family story is that he was not a Lamb at all, but a McGinnis from Ireland. The story goes that there were three McGinnis brothers in Ireland during the 17th century with some pretty idealistic views of the relationship between Ireland and England at the time. One of them went to England and became Henry Lamb where he was well accepted in the political circles of the day. He fed information he learned in England back to his brothers in Ireland. Eventually the brothers in Ireland were found out and they all fled to this country for their "religious freedom".

According to the information I have Hosea Lamb was married to Mary Thornbury. The most all of the rest of the names mentioned in your biography appear in the tree but the spellings and/or the relationships differ in some cases. This could be due to a copying error by my mother. I have never seen the original document.

The information indicates, Armanger and Sarah Lamb had three sons. One of those son's, Benjamin and his wife Mari O'Hara, were the parents of Basil, Erie, Jacob, Sarah, Ann and William. William was born in Indiana in 1826. He was a member of Co.D , 86th regiment, Indiana Volunteers in the Civil War. He was killed January 1, 1863 in Murfreesboro? Rutherford County, Tenn. He was buried by his brothers Basil and Jacob who were also in the same company. William was married to Lucinda Harrison and was the father of Giles, Alson, Ann and perhaps another William. My mother was Kathryne (Kate Lamb), one of Alson's children.

Hope this helps someone. fb

Josiah Lamb

Posted: 3 Dec 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 31 Jul 2001 9:59AM GMT
Frances,
The Lamb family that I am part of has said we could never be traced back to Ireland and my aunt said we are related to Basil Lamb. Do you have a John Martin Lamb any where on your notes? He may have been born in TN around 1866. Thank you please add me to your buddy list on aol as I really would like to talk to you. Its dbaker1453@aol thanks. Dee

Lamb - Irish ancestory

Frances Brandon (View posts)
Posted: 20 Feb 2000 12:00PM GMT
Dee,

I do not know if I have the name you mentioned. I do show a John Lamb with parents Hosea Lamb and Mary Thornbury. The generation looks about right, but the document I have is hand written and missing much detail. There are few years or middle names shown. Neither for the John I have listed. I have nothing indicating who John married or if he had children.

I have added your name to my buddy list. fb

LAMB

Arnold Cooper Lamb (View posts)
Posted: 7 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: LAMB
I have researched my genealogy as far back as William Lamb (born: approx. 1752, married: 2/15/1777, died: 1807 in New Hanover County, NC) he married Abigail David. William and Abigail had several children one of which was John Deloit Lamb (died: 1844 in Sampson County, NC).

John Deloit Lamb married Elizabeth Henry and they had several children one of which was James Henry Lamb (born: 12-18-1808 in New Hanover County, NC, died: 11-19-1889 in Sampson County, NC, married to Nancy Clark Underwood, both James and Nancy are buried in the Lamb Cemetery on Colin Lamb's estate, located on RT. 1 Garland, NC).

I am interested in finding information on William Lamb's ancestors and filling in the gaps for his descendents.

I found a reference to Peter Lamb on a New Hanover County deed, dated 1-28-1744 for 130 acres of land at Long Creek. Peter's property was deeded by Thomas Lamb (probably his eldest son) on 2-15-1775 in equal lots to Gibbs Lamb, Robert Lamb, William Lamb and John Stackly (probably son in law of Peter). I think Peter was William's father or possibly Thomas's father, and maybe Thomas was William's father.

The earliest record I can find of a Lamb in New Hanover County was a land grant from King George II to Captain John Lamb in 1736 (June 16) for 350 acres on the east side of Black River, which runs from the present day Sampson County (once New Haven) almost all the way to Wilmington.

I would appreciate any information that anyone can provide me.

I can be reached via e-mail at ACooperLamb@aol.com.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions