Search for content in message boards

PERRY

PERRY

Bruce Perry (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jul 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
My records show that Josiah PERRY, b. 1741, d. November 1821 in Bertie Co. married 1st Elizabeth Twine 1743-1776 in 1761 and then Millicent Freeman who died 10/18/1822.

My ancestry comes from Josiah and wife Millicent Freeman PERRY's son James.

I am trying to find out more about James' wife Charity. I would like to know her full name and her ancestry. I have James' Bible that he purchased in 1803 which shows that he married Charity 6/8/1809. However the early NC marriages list shows that James married Sarah Parker 6/8/1809. I am trying to establish that Charity and Sarah are one in the same.

Bruce Perry

PERRY, DEANS

Posted: 23 Jul 1998 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 16 Mar 2002 3:17AM GMT
Re Milicent Perry m Josiah of Bertie.

John Freeman bca1650England dca1711Norfolk m Hannah ?
William Freeman bca1680 Norfolk d 8/1736 Chowan m Mary Cording

William Freeman bca1712 Norfolk d8/1781 Gates m Christian Outlaw?

Miliecnt Freeman.
BTW Milicent/Josiah children-William,Salley,Christian,John,Josiah,Barsheba,Mary,Nancy,Celia,Freeman,Frusianna,James,Penelope,Amillicent.

My known Deans/Perry connections

Daniel Deanes 1730-1795 m Judith Perry Hertford County
Thomas Deanes(Hertford Sheriff-son of Daniel)late1700's-1830 m Susan Perry
William Deans(Hertford,Bertie,Chowan-son of Matthias) 1st son named Noah Perry Deans and grandson named Joseph Perry Deans-William Deans father Matthias Deans lived 3 households away from Joseph Perry in Hertford 1810 census but I do not know the connection if any.

Winnie Malinda Deans(Chowan-daughter of WIlliam) m Turner Perry-Bertie,Colerain mid 1800's

Pauline Elliott Deans(Chowan-grandaughter of William) m Stephen Toeniel Perry ca 1920's.

There are probably more. There is a book by Benjamin Winbourne "The Perry Family" of Hertford county you should look at.

Have fun.....

Perry

Bruce Perry (View posts)
Jim - I did not know about the book. I would be interested in more information on that and on your Perry line. I checked my database and don't have a Deanes listed.
Bruce Perry
Re Your Bertie County Perry question. Unfortunately I do not have your Perry info but I do have considerable info re (A)mellisent Freeman (d 1822 Bertie) m Josiah Perry (d 1820) with 14 children. This info comes from the book "John Freeman of Norfolk County, VA" which takes your Freeman line back a long way. If you do not have access to this book let me know. BTW my Deans surname is from NE NC(Hertford, Bertie, Chowan) and heavily connected to the Perry line. In particular I am trying to find the 1st spouse of Matthias Deanes(bHertford ca1775 dca1841) who I suspect is a Perry.

PERRY, DEANS

Posted: 26 Jul 1998 12:00PM GMT
Re Bertie County. Per my reference Mary Perry m 12/15/1788 Samuel Jenkins. This reference believes all the children were the issue of Millicent/Josiah but since it is a Freeman book it is quite possible there were other spouses for Josiah Perry before Millicent.

PERRY

Bruce Perry (View posts)
Posted: 26 Jul 1998 12:00PM GMT
Jim
Thanks for your reply. It brings up some questions.

My records show that William, Sarah (Sally), Christian, John, Josiah, Barsheba, Nancy and Frusanna were Josiah's children with his first wife Elizabeth Twine (1743-1776) m. 1761.

Then with wife Millicent Freeman children were all the rest with the exception that I don't have a Mary listed as one of his children.

Any thoughts? Thanks for the tip on the book.

Bruce

PERRY, LAFATER

David Perry (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jul 1998 12:00PM GMT

Hi,
I am looking for my grgrgrandfather Burwell Perry born 1798, in either Bertie or Hertford Co. NC, married Mary ?, his son Clinton Perry DOB 1822, is my grgrandfather. Clinton married Martha Lafater May 20,1868. One of there sons, my grandfather, was Samuel LaFayette Perry married Zula Jane Winstead they had Monroe Jackson Perry my father, who was number 11, the last baby born in 1925.
Any info will be helpful
David

Abraham Perry of Bertie

Zane D. Perry (View posts)
Posted: 5 Oct 1998 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Perry
Hello. My GGGGgrandfather, Arnold R. Perry, left Onslow Co. in 1806 with his mother -- Mary Robeson Venters, his step-father -- Arthur Venters, and his sister Elizabeth Perry. I believe his father was Abraham Perry of Bertie Co., NC. Does anyone have any information on Abraham Perry? Family stories say Arnold Perry's father was killed by lightning. Has anyone found reference to a Perry killed by lightning in NC around the years 1785 - 1795? Does anyone have any information on the Robesons of Bertie that might tie in Arnold Perry or Abraham Perry? Family tradition says we were related to the Warrens, too, so this family tie may help.

Robeson

Marilyn (View posts)
Posted: 6 Oct 1998 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Perry

Hi Zane,
The Perry's of Bertie Co. were related to the Robeson's of Martin Co. There is a township called Robeson,in Martin Co., right beside Kehukee, which was once the Tuscarora village.
There's a huge cemetary there.
I haven't heard of a Perry getting struck by lightening, Have you come across Burwell Perry?
Hope this helps
Marilyn

Martin Robesons & Bertie Perrys

Zane D. Perry (View posts)
Posted: 7 Oct 1998 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Robeson, Perry, Venters, Warren

Marilyn,
Thank you so much for the lead. I visited Windsor Court House in Bertie County back in 1985, when I was first starting on my Perry genealogy, and I haven't been back since. I now live in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia and a trip to Bertie is an event I have been putting off because of the drive. I started searching Bertie because: 1) an old Perry Family History written around 1920 stated that Abraham Perry was our family ancestor's name and he was from NC, and my search of 1790 NC Censi showed only one Abraham and he was living in Bertie, 2) after my ancestor was killed by lightning his wife remarried an Arthur Venters, and I found there were Venters families living in Bertie Co., 3) I found a marriage certificate in Onslow Co in January 1799 where Arthur Venters married Mary Robeson, and 4) one of the land documents I had copied at Windsor Court House in Bertie Co. for Abraham Perry was dated 1787 where he was selling land in Bertie to one Mary Robeson and her heirs, of the same county.

I have searched the GenForum under the name of Venters and found references to the Venters in Bertie Co. The Perry Family History I mentioned earlier also tied our Perry Family to the Warrens. I have also found that several Warren families lived in Bertie at that same time so I am pretty sure I am in the right area.

How are you researching the Perrys, ie your mother, or your maiden name, or your grandparents? Have you done work at the Court House in Bertie Co.? What makes you say there are links to the Robesons in Martin Co.. I am really interested. Are there land documents, or marriage records, or does this come from some genealogical works or books I should be researching? I would appreciate any tips on information. I will certainly post a query on the Martin Co., NC GenForum site, based on your recommendations.

I will go back through my documents tonight to see if I have a Burwell Perry listed anywhere. It would certainly be before my family of Perrys left NC (1806) for Kentucky, as I have no documentation for Burwell Perry in Kentucky. As far as I can deduce at this time, my ancestor, Arnold R. Perry, had a mother named Mary Robeson, who married Arthur Venters in Onslow Co in January 1799. Arnold R. Perry was born circa 1783, but I have no documentation that it was even Bertie Co. Arnold's father must have died prior to 1798 for his mother to marry in early 1799. I am assuming that Mary was going by her maiden name of Robeson, for Arnold had a sister named Betsy Perry who also went to Kentucky, as well as another brother who I as yet have not identified. Arnold R. Perry gave Arthur Venters his power of attorney in 1806 in Onslow Co., and a week later Arthur Venters was giving His power of attorney to another man in Onslow Co.. The family was preparing at that time to leave NC and go to Floyd Co., KY (present day Pike Co., KY). Arthur Venters was on the 1810 Floyd Co., KY Census.

Please send me an e-mail. I would like to further discuss the Martin Co. connection with you. Thank you again for your assistance.

Sincerely,
Zane D. Perry
per page

Find a board about a specific topic